TTORA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I need to know the difference between power and powder coating. Secondly, I have some wheel to wheel"nerf bars" ( i know i know but they were 20 bucks) for my 97 and they need some work. I could sand them down and repaint them myself with some rattle can magic, but I was interested if anybody had an idea of how much it might cost to get the power/powder coated. Let me know! thanks
justin

·
Registered
297 Posts
power coating? never heard of it. Powder coating prices vary by location. It was 150 for a guy I know that got his nerf bars done with line-x so it has to be cheaper than that. Maybe 100?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Powder coating is a baked on finish. It's very durable. It's applied by putting your part(s) in a special room and charging them. The powder is applied and of course has the opposite charge so it sticks to the entire part. The part is then baked. It works great as long as the part is properly degreased, that is *very* important.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so, sounds like it might be better just to paint them myself?? and i guess power coating doesn't exist, must have been somebody's typo

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Powder coating will still scrape/chip, especially if you are gonna wheel. I think most people who wheel paint stuff like sliders and touch them up pretty regulary. Just keep that can of black spraypaing (rattle-can if you are cool) handy.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
if you wheel much then you will be better off with a can of spray paint to do any touch up on them. Mine were powder coated new and I just touch them up as needed with black spray paint.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm a LINE-X dealer. I get a lot of powdercoated grill guards, etc. Customers tell me that powdercoating lasts about 3 years before it starts to chip off (and rust). The good news is that we can apply LINE-X right on the powdercoating.

Powdercoating is electrically applied paint powder.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts