TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or more specifically, an ATF leak... Figured I would mention that so you all know I have been putting in the correct fluid.

As far as symptoms go, I noticed the leak last fall, but didn't have the cash to fix it at the time; so I made sure the reservoir never ran dry and just keep filling it up. I think the leak is very slow, as there is only a small amount of fluid when I wake up in the morning and at my work parking stall in the evening. My initial thought was that the pump or a hose off the pump was loose as the entire drivers side of the engine bay (including the bottom-side of the hood) is coated with a dirty black oil; which I'm assuming turned black after dirt and grime stuck to it.

Tonight I was able to degrease much of the engine and spray it down with a hose. I locked the steering wheel from side to side, holding the locked position for about 5-10 seconds. I repeating for about 2 mins. I could find no traces of oil anywhere near the pump; even after feeling around, it was bone dry. Next, I crawled underneath and noticed there was a few drips on the ground... I locked the steering wheel from side to side again. I saw a few drips coming from a black (protective piece?) Click here for a diagram from the FSM I downloaded. The component I'm referring to is just to the right (or drivers side) of where the rack housing and intermediate No.2 Shaft connect.

What exactly does this mean, is my rack dying on me? If the pump or hoses "seem" to have a solid connection, how did an entire half of the engine bay gather so much oil? I have a hard time believing that any part of the rack would have so much pressure build up to reach the roof like it did...

I would appreciate any help you can offer. I feel this needs to get fixed before I spend any money on any suspension upgrades, which i'd like to get started on ;)

·
7,735 Posts
Hmm.. that's a good one. These racks are known to go tits up, but that really shouldn't have resulted in fluid on the underside of your hood.

When you say the "black protective piece" are you talking about the plastic/rubber boot that attaches at the end of the rack (covers your inner tie rod)? That would indicate the rack is going bad.

Keep an eye on your engine compartment to see if you have leaks coming from around the pump.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you say the "black protective piece" are you talking about the plastic/rubber boot that attaches at the end of the rack (covers your inner tie rod)?
Yes
That would indicate the rack is going bad.
I doubt that you'll know for sure, but would this be something that some new seals can fix or should I start looking for a replacement rack online?

·
7,735 Posts
you're right, it's hard to tell from this side of the interweb, but it sounds like the seals have gone bad. I don't know anybody who's rebuilt a rack, usually we just find "new" ones online and swap them out.

Check out car-part.com (I think that's the one Ike, Nate and Jay use to track down CV's) to see if you can find one in the local junk yards. You can use one from 95.5-2004 (they are all the same).

I just did a quick search and found quite a few for around $200. Yota yard and Yoda Jim's (JimsGotParts) are good places to deal with up in Denver, I'm not familiar with the yards down in CR/COS area. I wouldn't expect the inner/outer tie rods to come with, but they do sometimes.

Also consider swapping in some energy suspension rack bushings at the same time.

I'm sure somebody would be more than happy to give you a hand swapping it out. Count on needing an alignment right afterwords.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can use one from 95.5-2004 (they are all the same).
Obviously 4x4 only, but can I pickup any rack from either a 2.7L or 3.4L? What would be the chances of picking up a bad rack from the junk yard? Would I be better off getting a refurbished one?

I just did a quick search and found quite a few for around $200. Yota yard and Yoda Jim's (JimsGotParts) are good places to deal with up in Denver, I'm not familiar with the yards down in CR/COS area. I wouldn't expect the inner/outer tie rods to come with, but they do sometimes.

Also consider swapping in some energy suspension rack bushings at the same time.
I work near CO Blvd and I25 so anything in Denver or North Denver/Brighton hell even Boulder (if the price is right) is fine with me

I'm sure somebody would be more than happy to give you a hand swapping it out. Count on needing an alignment right afterwords.
I'm not sure what I have to offer besides free beer, food, and some conversation; but if anyone is willing to help I would be very grateful. I did get a quote from Castle Rock Auto Repair, LLC for the alignment. It's getting late, but I think he said $45.00 or $55.00, not too bad if you ask me.

·
7,735 Posts
I am 95% sure that the racks are the same between the 2.7 and 3.4.. I don't think we swapped Nates when we did his 3.4/ex-cab swap.

As for the chances of getting another bad one from a yard... there's obviously no guarantees, but both yota yard and jim's have a 30 day return/swap policy. It's really your call. I'm sure the reman is a little more expensive, but it's up to you to judge if it's worth it or not.

As for paying for help, the going rate is usually free beer/food, but an important part is you actually getting under the truck and helping, even if you don't know what you're doing. You'll learn something and you'll probably realize it's not really that complicated once you're shown how it works. Someday you'll pay it forward.

There is absolutely nothing more irritating than going to help someone and the person you're 'helping' is sitting around somewhere drinkin beer and not doing a damn thing other than expect you to do the work for them (like they scored free labor).

That's only happened with a couple of people that I know of, and they didn't get any offers to help the next time they asked.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

I believe this applies well in this situation, and it goes without saying that peoples time is valuable; I realize you have families, jobs, etc... On the mechanical side, it doesn't look super complicated. However, I get a little timid on large jobs such as this for various reason: lack of tools, knowledge, and fear of royally screwing something up :mad:. Give me random computer hardware though, and I'll make it run. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts