TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have a 97 taco 35's locked front and rear. for some reason i can go through moab, colorado and anywhere with no issues to the pump. but for some reason anytime my truck gets in some snow it destroys the ps pump. this is the 5th one ive replaced in the past year. i understand with what is done to the truck it is going to happen but everyone else with a taco and similar set up has not had this problem. is there something else i need to look into besides the pump? i clear out the lines every time to get all the shavings out and also bleed it properly then it does fine except when some snow is involved. any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Several things to look at.... Some of these may be obvious but:

What kind of fluid are you running? Im sure you already know it needs to be ATF and not power steering fluid in a stock pump.

Any leaks on the rack? Is there debris in the lines when you flush them?

When you say the pump fails what is happening to it? Bearing going out? Heat failure?

Depending on how you answer these questions I would look into a filter, powersteering cooler, or an added capacity resi... If the rack is on its last leg and is throwing metal shavings in the system it needs to be replaced to keep the problem from happening again.

I had your exact set up for years and only went thru one pump and it was a heat issue that killed it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes i use atf
no leaks
i think the front seal blows out and then the pump no loger works after that. even with new seals.
there is shavings in there but every time i replace the pump i clear out the lines and all the fluid.

·
Registered
70 Posts
ps pump

I've got a 98 3.4 with 33 inch bfg's. I'm at 265K and on the original ps pump. This winter, the ps pump has started to make sounds (that I have never heard before). It acts up only when it is real cold outside and it is fine in warmer weather.

I used the turkey baster method to change out the fluid. I refreshed it with valvoline max life atf. It is not quite as bad. I'm guessing at some point it is going to go south, but I'll run it till it dies.

I'll be interested in responses to this thread because if I have to change my ps pump out, I want to do it right! I have heard that there is a filter in the resevoir, have you gotten to that to clean it out?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts