TTORA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just wondering what the general life span is on the Tacoma Power Steering Pumps. What kind of intervals are you guys' using to either flush or drain them.

Thanks,

Beave

·
Registered
40 Posts
As far as I know, Toyota does not have a drian/refill service on the PS pump. Pretty much you just make sure it is topped off. If it needs topping off, be sure to check all the hoses and seals. The rack should last a good long time, but it is dependant on use, and lift angles. If it is operating out of its intended range, the life span will decrease accordingly. If you are on the rocks, or steering against strong counterpressure, then the life span will decrease.

·
Registered
73 Posts
On my 01, my first pump was replaced at 10,000 miles. Second one failed late last year at 100+K miles. Replaced with reman pump to save about $100. Did that one myself.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool thanks for the info guys. Those were just the kind of answers I was looking for ;) EZ maintenance!!

Beave

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Beave said:
Hey all,

Just wondering what the general life span is on the Tacoma Power Steering Pumps. What kind of intervals are you guys' using to either flush or drain them.

Thanks,

Beave
For me the lifespan of the pumps has been about 3 years. I have stock-size tires and am a strong believer in not turning the steering wheel unless the truck is rolling, and not turning it against resistance - so the pumps should have had a fairly easy life.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Beave said:
Hey all,

Thanks,

Beave

im at 110k miles on original pump and rack with no problems so far

·
always a Toyota lover at heart
1,114 Posts
I have over 150K and have yet to have any problems
I have replaced the fluid with Mobile 1 ATF and I flushed it all out and it has been running with a cooler and inline magnetic filter as well
I have replaced the Inner/Outer tie rods

1 - 7 of 7 Posts