TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know what the thing looks like for the 4 poppers but I would assume that the same techique could be used. Just cut it in half, wrap a piece of sheet steel around it and braze it up.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's good. Now I need to be able to edit it so it says NorCal Bling King instead of member. I wonder when that kicks in?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Dick Foster said:
Well it is cheap and keeps your PS from boiling over.

http://www.norcalttora.com/~dick/taco_ps_pump_part1.pdf
Damn, 5 pages before any pics? Now how is anyone supposed to follow the directions if the pictures are so far back?
Rewrite as follows:
Do this <insert pic>
Then do this <insert pic>
Apply pressure to cut <insert pic>

Get my meaning. Better luck next time.

Honestly, good writeup.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I suppose that I tend to believe that everyone is literate. I fail to consider the product that the schools are turning out these days. Sorry about that, I will try harder next time.:eek:

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Dick Foster said:
I suppose that I tend to believe that everyone is literate. I fail to consider the product that the schools are turning out these days. Sorry about that, I will try harder next time.:eek:
Just like everyone else in today's society! Blaming someone else instead of taking responsiblity for one's own actions. :rofl:

Just mess'n with ya…since you aren't a newbie anymore!

Thanks for posting the write up! looks like I will be doing it in conjunction with my swap! Might as well since the truck is going to be drained of all fluids at that time anyway.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Dick Foster said:

Damn Dick, I figured as the reigning bling king you'd never show your face in "Cheap Tricks" let alone contribute content.

That said, nice writeup, I'll have to do that one of these days.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Dick Foster said:
That's good. Now I need to be able to edit it so it says NorCal Bling King instead of member. I wonder when that kicks in?
When you become a Prez or Mod..

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Dick Foster said:
I don't know what the thing looks like for the 4 poppers but I would assume that the same techique could be used. Just cut it in half, wrap a piece of sheet steel around it and braze it up.
theres not enough room to rais it if u even made it 2 inches bigger it would probly hit the hood, there mounted real high on 4 bangers

·
Premium Member
527 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Nice write up!

However I would like to set the record straight, It was the one who came up with this mod. I showed AJ up on a winter run a few years ago.

Any ways, after I did that, I started to look into the hole system. The pump, ram, resivore, and steering box, and all the information I could find led me to belive that it should not be nessarry to expand the capisity of the resivore.

I then removed the added portion and started from scratch.

What I did find out is that the reason it was boiling over wasent because of heat, of lack of volume, but instead it was that I dident have the system bled properly.

After bleading the system properly, I have never had a problem with the set up. The only thing I am going to try is to drill out the restrictor plate in hopes of speading the system up left to right.

I'll post up after I do it to let you all know how it works out.

Robert

·
Registered
44 Posts
ATLRoach said:
When you become a Prez or Mod..
Or when he becomes a paying sponser/advertiser, right?

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hummm, I never talked to AJ about it. I did it because of the ram assist and needed somewhere for the extra fluid to go because of the imbalance of the ram assist setup. So I came up with this fairly simple fix for that problem. I don't think either you or I are the first to do it but you have to admit that it is a pretty simple idea. If you jack your steering much, it will tend to get hot. So if you're in the process anyway, why not just add some more volume it certainly will not hurt anything.
BTW I added a cooler too. Cooler fluid will make the seals etc. last a lot longer. The IFS box and Tacoma pump were not designed to turn 35" tires in the rocks so every little bit would tend to help.

And oh yes, it's not hard to get a good bleed. Just fill it, start crank stop to stop a couple of times while watching the level, then shut it down and wait a couple of hours. Top up as necessary and you're all set to go. Most folks tend to keep it running and keep on cranking the steering wheel. That just aggravates the foaming. If folks just shut it down and let it settle for a couple of hours, it's a lot easier.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd be afraid that the JB Weld would not hold well enough for a good seam in the bottom or down the side. After all, you wouldn't want the thing to come apart out on the trail. If the top got loose you could do something about that and would most likely still have most of your fluid.

·
Registered
650 Posts
RocTaco,
Dick drilled the restrictor (or some dohickey) on my spare pump and it doesnt work. The pump is already pushing as much fluid as possible, so drilling it out, you actually loose pressure and have to rev the engine to get the pressure back. the best bet is to swap a chevy ps pump on there and be done.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts