TTORA Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1997 V6 Tacoma 4x4 5 speed manual
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am currently doing heavy MTX on my '97 V6 Taco 4x4 hunting truck/mud machine: tranny rebuild/ECGS front clamshell w locker and CV bushing/clutch kit & rear main seal/LCA bushings/etc. I changed out the power steering rack but also want to remove & clean the P/S reservoir. But first I need to get a new OEM 90080-30034 O ring for the short tube on bottom of the reservoir. Thanks to a member over on TW, I found out McGeorge has these OEM O rings in stock. Other sources list this O ring as not available or discontinued. But I remember reading that someone had found a commonly available O ring that worked for them. I posted this question over on TW with no luck so I must have read it here. But I can't find that post again. Does anyone here know the number on that O ring? TIA!

EDIT: There are (2) different part numbers that come up for the O ring on the reservoir tube for the 1st Gen V6 Taco. My VIN leads to the 90080-30034 part number in question. The other part number 90301-11016. I have not been able to determine if they are the same O ring or not.

EDIT #2: McGeorge Toyota verified that the 90080-30034 O ring has been discontinued but has been superseded by the 90301-11016 O ring.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If nobody replies with that part # you're looking for, you might be able to source a replacement through McMaster-Carr. As long as you have the original O-ring and can measure it, they have a page where you can enter the measurements and select the ring material to come up with a corresponding O-ring part: McMaster-Carr
I found them through a Subaru forum and used them to source O-rings to rebuild a power steering pump over a decade ago. The pump is still working great & not leaking (knock on wood).
It's been so long I can't remember the material of the rings I used, but maybe do some research to find out which O-ring materials are good for hydraulic fluid (like power steering fluid / ATF), and then select a ring material that works for your application and budget. The rings I needed were about the size of quarters, nickels & dimes (approximates), and I bought 2 of every one I needed just in case I messed up. I seem to remember them costing about $15 for the whole bunch, so not expensive, but this was over 10 years ago.
Good luck with your project!
-Steve G-

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The OEM 90301-11016 O rings from McGeorge arrived and I measured one to the best of my ability: OD 0.585"/ ID 0.475"/ ring thickness 0.055". The '97 Taco is metric, so I looked at the metric O rings at McMaster. The closest metric match I could find was the 15mm x 12mm x 1.5mm which would be just 0.1mm thicker than the OEM O ring. It appears that this is a nonstandard size O ring. It would be best to have an OEM O ring in hand if you take off the P/S reservoir for cleaning. The Toyota dealers near me did not stock this O ring. .02

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Just finished cleaning out the P/S Reservoir. And just as in Timmy's youtube video, the screen was completely clogged with fine black particles & other crap which had to be restricting the fluid flow. I used brake parts cleaner from Walmart then Berryman carb cleaner to clear the screen. The brake parts cleaner put a lot of condensation in the res which is something you really don't want. The Berryman carb cleaner removed most of the moisture and even more black particles. I finished drying the res. interior with a hair dryer. Will reinstall it with a new O ring in just a few minutes. The original 25-year-old O ring did not tear but was definitely showing its age. It had hardened/dried out, shrinking in size. So it had started to weep slightly. Good timing to clean the reservoir and change the O ring. .02

EDIT: Done. I can't remember if Timmy mentioned it in his video but the short bracket bolt goes in the front thru the pulley. The other (2) bolts were the same length. Using a shorter bolt in back would save you some pretty cramped finger-tightening which is hard for my XX Large paws. The rest is just basic nut-n-bolt work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts