TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Ive got a 98 taco. I am having nothing but hell with my power steering pump. does any one know any cheap tricks with these pumps. I have put a oil cooler in the system it helped alittle

·
Registered
757 Posts
Hey Ive got a 98 taco. I am having nothing but hell with my power steering pump. does any one know any cheap tricks with these pumps. I have put a oil cooler in the system it helped alittle
Is that to say you keep going through PS pumps, or just that your having problems with your existing pump?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have a 2004 with 53K and the dealership has put on the fifth one. The last two I have had a cooloer on them.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
I have a 2004 with 53K and the dealership has put on the fifth one. The last two I have had a cooloer on them.
Odd, what kind of cooler do you have? What kind of driving do you do? What kind of fluid are you running? How often do you check the fluid level? Sounds like you would be a candidate for the resevoir extension mod.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
Are they flushing it out between pumps?

If not that's the problem. The shavings from the previous pump is eating up the next one...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ps pump

I put a small trans cooler in the system. this has been the 3rd pump in less than a year. I am running 33" tires with a air locker in the front. I only use the front locker when I really need it. I have flushed the system realy good every pump change.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Pretty sure that this shouldn't be under cheap tricks.

·
Registered
230 Posts
use dex III tranny fluid it is the same thing as power steering fluid but higher heat capabilitys and better lubrication and power steering fluid has a tendancy to foam or bubble up if shaken or overheated and the bubbles (air) prevent lubrication/cooling.... just a thought, goodluck

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Most people just flush it out and wtf does your truck having abs have to do with draining the power steering?

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
pump runs through the abs accutator so the computer can take over braking when the tires start to lock, duh.
Search.

Wrong section too..

Ah fugit, I'll search for you.

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64677&highlight=power+steering+flush

or

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65021&highlight=power+steering+flush

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58320&highlight=power+steering+flush

Seems like having the truck off is the easiest and safest way...

·
Registered
895 Posts
pump runs through the abs accutator so the computer can take over braking when the tires start to lock, duh.
fyi... computer figures out if wheels are locked thru the abs sensors located at wheel hubs, NOT thru power steering system in any way. and if you trace the power steering lines you can see that they go from pump to the steering rack and back, with no detour to the abs system.

·
Registered
497 Posts
fyi... computer figures out if wheels are locked thru the abs sensors located at wheel hubs, NOT thru power steering system in any way. and if you trace the power steering lines you can see that they go from pump to the steering rack and back, with no detour to the abs system.
do you want me to take pictures, this isnt a tacoma btw its an old school pickup with abs and to me it looks like it tell if the wheels are locked through the front differential, because it has automatic hubs it tells when wheels are locked in the diff, theres al kinds of wires running to it, it the sr5 model too if that makes a differnce and there is no wires running to the hub, and I have lt so it cant be hidden in the a-arm or somethin, but I could be wrong on that, my power steering pump runs to, what I think the abs accuator and then runs to the actual steering box, if you follow those lines on that abs acctuator it goes to the front brakes, how else would the computer pump the brakes, without a pumping souce(power steering pump)?

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
I didnt look at your sig and see you are driving a 94 yota not a newer taco.
The power steering lines do run to the abs actuator on those which controls the brake pressure by relieving pressure in the system when a wheel speed sensor detects lockup. I have never done much on one of those older abs systems so im not sure why the ps lines are feeding into the abs actuator. I dont know if there is a pressure accumulator in the system like there is on a lot of older domestic vehicle abs systems.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I didnt look at your sig and see you are driving a 94 yota not a newer taco.
The power steering lines do run to the abs actuator on those which controls the brake pressure by relieving pressure in the system when a wheel speed sensor detects lockup. I have never done much on one of those older abs systems so im not sure why the ps lines are feeding into the abs actuator. I dont know if there is a pressure accumulator in the system like there is on a lot of older domestic vehicle abs systems.
Its cool, its a 91 if that matters, cant switch my user name:rolleyes: , I'll look for that pressure accumulator and see if its manfunctioned

1 - 19 of 19 Posts