TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me how good one of these would be for a daily driver? Im thinking of installing one [maybe two] . I cant find anyone that sells trd posi's and my open diff is horrible. Are these as mild mannered as a posi? Are they even suitable for a daily driver? Any help would be greatly apprieciated.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Not bad, I have the No-Slip just don't gun it around turns and be careful on ice. Other than that you'll never know it's there.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Definately more user friendly with an auto... Less friendly around town (tight turning radiuses)

You wouldn't even notice it on the highway...

A little harder on tire wear...

Worth the trade off for the traction... IMO

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
I had a Powetrax Lockright in an old 99 Prerunner I used to own. I hardly noticed it was there with my 2.7L auto ex cab combo unless I purposely gunned it from a start while making a sharp 90-degree turn. In fact, I used to do that quite often since it felt kind of cool powering through turns like that until I realized the rear tires were getting some serious tread wear from that, so I stopped doing it.

Anyway, I noticed you're up North in Ohio. One thing you need to be careful with is driving on ice and slick roads. Being from Texas, I have very little experience driving on ice and snow and will be the first to admit that I suck at it. The few times it's iced down here, I noticed it was alot harder and somewhat dangerous driving on icy, wet slick roads with a rear locker. Without meaning to, it's easy to swing the rear around and do a donut when making a turn. So you should keep that in mind when considering whether to buy an automatic locker like the Lockrite. If it were me, I'd save up some more and get a selectable locker like the ARB if I lived up North.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I was in Big Bear last weekend and it was icy as hell. My buddy's Exploder got totalled but I've had many years experience driving in snow/ice so I had no problems, just be careful.

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
isnt this like the 20th locker post this week?

·
Registered
401 Posts
yeah, i think its bear or dick just fu*king with us or something, this is getting out of hand on lockers, and 3'' lift kits. Somebody make the search button bigger, or a different color.

·
Registered
20 Posts
PowerTrax

Maybe I got a defective unit but that sum'bitch is coming out soon!For the most part is does good, but every now and again it pitches a bitch and won't unlock and carries on something awful.Feels and sounds like it's going to completely destroy the under side of my truck.I have about 3500 miles on it now and it seems to be better, but still it pitches a bitch every now and then, especially in a parking lot turning left. On the highway sometimes when turning right, it feels like the truck is pulling hard to the right for several hundred yards before it quits and acts normal.If you feel like you need a locker on a DD, go with an air or electric unit.I'm changing just as soon as I can find one!

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
with lockrights, psi in tires must be equal....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
9 Participants
KRYPTO(dale)
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing