TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm getting ready to put som 4.88's in my tacoma and i would really like to get a locker. i was thinking a rear locker (to keep my CV's as reliable as possible in the front). with that said, i want something that will be good on the road, and affordable (AKA not ARB), i've been looking into the powertrax no-slip, but i have one major question about it, is it a limited slip, or is it a true locker? by true locker, i mean if one of my tires is in the air will they both still spin? because if i'm going to dish out $400 i want the real thing. if i have to deal with a little bit of a difference in regular driving i will, because its worth it when your on the trail doing the pulling instead of being pulled, i just dont want a locker that is going to be really noisy or drastically change the handling of my truck. so please, let me know of any experiences with the powertrax no-slip, and give me any other lockers that may fit my description of what i want, thanks

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
yes if u have one tire in air and are applying gas the locker will spin both tires regardless of being in air or not.. its the quietest full time locker there is.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
I have the 4.88's and the LockRight...

Little noisier then the No Slip...

But the No Slip is still going to make some noise...

And it will affect the drivability some... Meaning yer going to know it's back there... doing it's business...

A trade off wheeler's can easily learn to live with...

If you can't then you'll need to Pony up to an e-locker swap or the ARB...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
like i said i dont mind some sound or difference in drivablity, i would just like a locker that has the most minimal of these sideaffects.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
The No slip is the least offensive and the lowest cost auto locker... period

Don't think too hard on it...

If you think you'll use it and you deem it as a positive thing... It could make noise from hell...

And you'll still appreciate the damn thing... ;)

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Well, it ain't lowest cost. I've been quoted... 270 from PORC for Lockright? I think, Noslips run around/over 400.

I wouldn't drop the extra coin if it was me... they aren't noisy in general, but the shit will still do its auto locker thing. If I hadn't picked up my noslip used for <150 I would have gone Lockright. Too bad Aussie don't make one yet. 240, less parts and quiet as the noslip.

For all the pops and bangs, etc. my noslip has been reliable.

·
Registered
592 Posts
i'm getting ready to put som 4.88's in my tacoma and i would really like to get a locker. i was thinking a rear locker (to keep my CV's as reliable as possible in the front). with that said, i want something that will be good on the road, and affordable (AKA not ARB), i've been looking into the powertrax no-slip, but i have one major question about it, is it a limited slip, or is it a true locker? by true locker, i mean if one of my tires is in the air will they both still spin? because if i'm going to dish out $400 i want the real thing. if i have to deal with a little bit of a difference in regular driving i will, because its worth it when your on the trail doing the pulling instead of being pulled, i just dont want a locker that is going to be really noisy or drastically change the handling of my truck. so please, let me know of any experiences with the powertrax no-slip, and give me any other lockers that may fit my description of what i want, thanks
The No-slip is an awesome choice for a locker. It's more expensive than the lock-right, but performs flawlessly, imo. I paid around 4 bills for mine, whereas the lock-right was less than 3 hund I think. The No-slip made no noise that could be heard over my Flowmaster. I could feel it back there when driving on the street (it would make the truck wiggle slightly when getting on/off the throttle), but it was NEVER enough to make the truck feel unsettling. Off road performance was superb, as expected. The lock-right might be a good choice as well, but has more discernable gear noise and slightle more pronounced engagement/disengagement on road. The only locker I'd rather have for a rear application is a detroit locker, & I don't think it's offered for the Taco. Leave the ARB for your front axle. Who really needs to disengage the rear anyway?

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
detroit

The detroit locker is also available for the taco rear. It will perform similar to the no-slip, but it replaces the whole carrier and has much larger internals.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Yeah but with Detroit and setup you might as well go ARB for the money I would think.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,421 Posts
Yeah but with Detroit and setup you might as well go ARB for the money I would think.
True. The Detroit is a good locker, and I'd only put it in the rear if I were to install one. But the ARB is so close in price, that would just be the way to go for me.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,421 Posts
I run the No-Slip locker in my truck. It is a full time locker. It performs really well both on an off-road. Nice and quiet and very reliable.

I do question the strength of the No-Slip with larger tires. I'd probably stay that 33" tires would be the largest you should run with that locker. If you plan on 35" tires, get the lock-right.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts