TTORA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive noticed there are no pre 1998 leaf packs available besides Allpro. i know the 1st gens are shorter. does deaver make the production 7 leaf pack for 1st gens? Anybody make one?

I dont care much about flex, all i want is an improved shock absorber on the rear. For both slow moving and fast. Right now, my rear end hops around on speedbumps, and my toolbox lid pops open and it sucks.

Any body have experience with the allpro 95-97 leafs with the 5100's?

·
Registered
84 Posts
XxRODERIGOxX said:
Ive noticed there are no pre 1998 leaf packs available besides Allpro. i know the 1st gens are shorter. does deaver make the production 7 leaf pack for 1st gens? Anybody make one?

I dont care much about flex, all i want is an improved shock absorber on the rear. For both slow moving and fast. Right now, my rear end hops around on speedbumps, and my toolbox lid pops open and it sucks.

Any body have experience with the allpro 95-97 leafs with the 5100's?
I'm pretty sure Downey and NWOR have leaf packs for 1st gen. Tacos. The Downeys are officially for pre-Tacos, but will fit anyway, only with 1.5-2" more lift than advertized.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Don't get Downey springs, they suck, very soft and lots of axle wrap. Your best bet is to find some stock leafs off of a 89-94 pickup, as they are the same, but seem to add a little lift to the Tacomas.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm looking to put some 00-04 springs on my '97 as they are longer, and better springs, plus there's good aftermarket springs to replace them with. What I'm wondering is if anyone has done this and can tell me were I'd need to attached a new mounting bracket for the springs to make them fit like stock.

I'm also looking for a U-bolt flip kit if anyone can tell me where I can get a good kit.

Thanks,

·
Registered
357 Posts
Replacing '97 leaf springs with newer '03 springs.

Here's what I've found out so far by using some stock springs off a '03 Double Cab, and measuring against my stock '97 springs. It appears that the forward bracket would have to be moved forward about 1 3/4" and the rear would have to be moved almost 3" further back.

I've also contacted a local Toyota dealer, and they can order the mounting brackets, so no problems their, but obviously this is going to require some cutting, grinding, and welding to accomplish.

I'm wondering if the Double Cab Springs are the same size as they are on a XCab, and a Reg. Cab. If they are 1 3/4" shorter on one of these other body styles, then I could use those instead and only have to move the rear springs, but I'm guess they are all the same length.

Another idea I’ve had is to re-use the stock forward mounting brackets, and just move the rear one’s back 4”s. This would require cutting the fender behind the tire to prevent rubbing, but I’m planning to do some trimming back there eventually anyway. The only concern with that is if the drive line, and break lines will all be ok with that.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Back to the original topic of alternate rear leaf springs for the 95-97’s. I found these and am seriously considering it:

http://www.4wheelparts.com/4wp/prod...an=FWP&parentProdline=SusLeafGENU&expand=sub7

Edit: link isn't too great...
Just go here: www.4wheelparts.com
Click: Suspension
Click: Genuine Suspension
Click: Leaf Springs
Click: Rear Leaf Springs
Scroll half way down the list.

I can’t imagine they wouldn’t be better than used Toyota springs, and at less than $100 each you can’t beat the price.

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
295 Posts
If you can find some lift springs for 89-95 Pickups, they are the same as what came on 95-97 trucks. Stock springs off of a 91 pickup actually gave me a little lift, if you buy some 3" lift springs for one, then you would probably get about 3-5" of lift from them on a Tacoma.

·
Registered
185 Posts
AK95Taco said:
Back to the original topic of alternate rear leaf springs for the 95-97’s. I found these and am seriously considering it:

http://www.4wheelparts.com/4wp/prod...an=FWP&parentProdline=SusLeafGENU&expand=sub7

Edit: link isn't too great...
Just go here: www.4wheelparts.com
Click: Suspension
Click: Genuine Suspension
Click: Leaf Springs
Click: Rear Leaf Springs
Scroll half way down the list.

I can’t imagine they wouldn’t be better than used Toyota springs, and at less than $100 each you can’t beat the price.

Just my $.02.

those must be AAL's - I doubt you would be getting a new full leaf pack for under 200

·
Registered
113 Posts
No, just for the record the only leaf springs that Deaver makes that will bolt on to a toyota is for the 98-04 tacomas. HOWEVER, I can get Scott at Deaver to build you a leaf pack around your main leaf. He basically takes a 98-04 pack apart and builds it around your main leaf. It is cheaper than the other Deavers at about $350, and it works just as well. Turn around time is about 3 days if you are interested. Just an idea.

·
Registered
357 Posts
TORR said:
No, just for the record the only leaf springs that Deaver makes that will bolt on to a toyota is for the 98-04 tacomas. HOWEVER, I can get Scott at Deaver to build you a leaf pack around your main leaf. He basically takes a 98-04 pack apart and builds it around your main leaf. It is cheaper than the other Deavers at about $350, and it works just as well. Turn around time is about 3 days if you are interested. Just an idea.
My problem with doing that is my current leaf springs, including my "main leafs" are old, chipped, rusted, and falling apart. I need something new, including the "main leaf". Not to mention that longer leaf springs will give a better ride, more articulation, and after doing a bit more research and thinking about it, I'm hoping that relocating the rear brackets is all that’s needed to properly fit newer springs. I’ve got all the parts on order, or ready to pick up, so we’ll see how it turns out.

·
Registered
357 Posts
deathwishbkr said:
Bump, i'm intrested too.
We'll I did it. I put some Stock springs off an '02 Double Cab onto my '97. Basically we replaced the rear mounts that attached the shackles to frame, effectively moving the rear mounts back 3 & 3/4 inches. The only side effect is that the wheelbase is now 1 & 1/2 inches longer. There appears to still be plenty of length in the rear axel shaft so it doesn't need to be extended, and my 32x11.5x15 tires on stock wheels still clear the fenders, though it is close.

Articulation has definitely been improved, but I didn't get any extra lift out of it, so I'll need an AAL, or I could even install a new set of deaver springs. I also did a U-Bolt flip, but haven't yet re-attached my shocks, so I can't give a final description of ride quality till that is done.

I took pictures too. They can be seen here:

http://www.ut-ttora.com/gallery/2005-12-05_Wrench_Thon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.