TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, i've watched that video before. However, im not sure about putting it all back together.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not something I wanna dig into without knowing for sure how to do. I'd hate to have the FJ upon jackstands for a week. :)

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
You should just take your CVs down to a local shop and they will knock it out for you in half a day and you can go pick up your parts. Any reputable automotive shop can knock that out easily.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You should just take your CVs down to a local shop and they will knock it out for you in half a day and you can go pick up your parts. Any reputable automotive shop can knock that out easily.
I guess I could do that but I want to run through everything all at once and get the install done in one day. So, unless I buy some used axles and get them assembled beforehand I think the install will stretch to a two day project. Which I need the FJ so it will be a pretty big inconvenience to stretch the install out.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
If your FJ is only down two days you are doing well anyway. Don't forget about welding on limit strap tabs and resi mounts.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The ICON's come with a bracket that doesn't need to be welded. Still will need to weld the limit straps and the bumpstop extension. However, I figure that I can always drive the FJ without those as long as im doing my typical every day drive.

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
You got that right!!
Just recieved the RCV axles they are "Rock'in Eye Candy" here are some shot of them at DMZ fab. These are for the first 2" over Total Chaos LT kit for Gen 2 Taco. :D
- Photos are not complete yet - just starting build
http://picasaweb.google.com/DavewFerry/DMZTACOBUILD#

·
Registered
182 Posts
Nice purchase man. Glad to see someone else rockin these axles on a LT tacoma. I am running the ARB locker up front and no issues so far, see how things go down the road. Cheers

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
id like to try a rcv axle shaft, i bet i could break em

·
Registered
182 Posts
id like to try a rcv axle shaft, i bet i could break em
Everything breaks if you try to break it. Least the RCV axles come with lifetime warrenty. Buy a set and see where the limit of them is. I think in my set up the u-joints and driceshafts are the weak link, entire rear axle assembly is being swapped out so the weak ring and pinion won't be an issue. I want my weak link to be u-joints as I can change them on the trail if I have too. Cheers

·
Registered
196 Posts
At least they are guaranteed for LIFE and 930/Dana60 type CVs getting 26 degrees instead of the stock ~15 degrees they may survive longer than you think - Just say'in:)

·
Registered
182 Posts
At least they are guaranteed for LIFE and 930/Dana60 type CVs getting 26 degrees instead of the stock ~15 degrees they may survive longer than you think - Just say'in:)
Ya I think the RCV axles will last awhile. Guess it depends how much bouncing I do in the rocks. Cheers

·
Registered
196 Posts
check out the link in my sig for install pics
RIPPENRED Did you have a inner booty flange issue? DMZ set up a new modified inner bootie, the original supplied limited the droop about an inch due to the flange that extends out where the boot band is strapped on.
Your input would be appreciated:)

·
Registered
182 Posts
check out the link in my sig for install pics
RIPPENRED Did you have a inner booty flange issue? DMZ set up a new modified inner bootie, the original supplied limiter the droop about an inch due to the flange that extends out to mount the boots on.
Your input would be appreciated:)
had no issues with the inner bootie. RCV built mine knowing exactly how much droop I had and all that stuff. The axles are completely one off, took a couple weeks to have built even. This inner bootie issue you have, can you explain more to me? Cheers

·
Registered
196 Posts
The axle was slightly hitting the booty flange near full droop, so we went with the booty over the CV type instead of a smaller boot mounted to a smaller flange. I'm not sure I make sense but if your are running the smaller booty that is mounted to the flange that bolts to the CV (inner) you might be hitting the flange under the booty at around 11" droop.... And then again maybe not what type of boot setup are you running on the 930 inboard side?
Check out photo #12 & 13, 7 & 15 for the different boots, in the link below.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 28 Posts