TTORA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Tacoma double cab pre-runner automatic (the only option) with the 3RZ motor I am going to convert to a manual 4WD over Christmas break. To do this, I have just purchased a 1997 Tacoma 4WD reg cab, 5 speed with lock out hubs that was rolled. Everything looks good in the donor vehicle including the spindles (which was a concern because of the roll over).

It seems I have every part I could possibly need because I have a whole donor truck, minus the front half of the rear drive shaft, but I have some questions.

Should I have a custom rear drive shaft built from one of mine or just go find an extended cab rear shaft? I would like to eliminate the carrier bearing if possible, and of course money is a concern.

I plan to rebuild the hubs (basically a disassemble and re-lube), replace the CV boots if needed, and replace the clutch if needed (perhaps just do it anyway). Am I missing anything?

Would it be easier to run the 2002 computer (with CEL) or rewire to the 1997? I have read the truck will run fine (no limp mode) with the automatic tranny removed, but what do I need to do to make the cruise control work with the 5-speed? Would it be best to find a 2002 3RZ 5 speed computer and would the wiring plug right in?

Is there anything else to look out for or be aware of during the conversion?

Thanks in advance...

PS- I'll take pics and post them when I do the work because I haven't seen a DIY for the 3RZ conversion to a W59.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you (or anyone) confirm rear drive shafts are the same length between 5 speed 4x4 V6's and 5 speed 4x4 4 cylinders?

I have read that when you remove the auto tranny (which is also controlled by the engine computer) it will throw a check engine light. But, although the light is annoying, supposedly the truck will run fine. I just wonder what my options are to avoid having this light on all the time.

And I thought I read the cruise will need some modding to keep working.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nobody?

Could someone measure the front half of their rear drive shaft for me? It has to be a 2.7 4x4 5 speed extended cab.

·
Registered
411 Posts
same boat as you man...

well, this is just my "personal" experience with the conversion and especially with the rear front portion of the d-shaft

just recently, like literally this past weekend, swapped tranny (3.4 V6) into the 4x4 trans and finished up the front diff today for the 4x conversion.

i bought a front-portion rear d-shaft from a 97 4x4 x-cab (not sure if manual or auto but don't think it matters and not sure what engine 'cause didn't think it mattered too) and that shaft didn't fit???...was about 2 inches too short.

had to go buy another rear d-shaft from a 95 taco x-cab w/3.4 V6 and it worked. <<< strange.

I think that the 3.4 and 4 cyl front portion rear d-shafts are different. <<< If this is the case, then i have what you need.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it would be wise of me to wait 3-4 weeks so I can have my new tranny and T-case installed to measure exactly what I need. Will you still have it then? If so, where are you and what do you want for it? You can PM me...

·
Registered
411 Posts
hey sorry about that.

been busy wid school and my swap. FINALLY COMPLETED the swap w/manual hubs up front.

the swap was fairly straight forward, one hard part was fiding time to swap it all out.

i still have the d-shaft if you need it, along with a bunch of other parts too, just ask.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.