TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm just curious- do you notice much of a difference at all between the prerunner and 4x4's gas mileage? If not, why do people buy Pre-Runners? Is there any other benefit other than purchase price? I read that Motor Trend got an average of about 17mpg with their Prerunner, I wish they would have tested a 4x4...anyway, thanks for the info guys

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
There are a lot of people in the world that recognize the fact that they will rarely or never take their trucks off road.

There are also a lot of people in the world that do not want the complexity, extra weight, and extra maintainance that comes with 4WD.

Also, there are lots of people that don't want to pony up the extra cash required to buy a 4WD truck.

Some of these very same people, however, like the rugged look of the offroad tires and suspension.

For these people, there are pre runners.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I'm prepared to be flamed if someone decides it's necessary to do so, but I honestly think there are people that have this same thought process.

The reason I ask is because my dad has offered to buy me a new Tacoma (because I received enough scholarships to go to college free, not because I'm spoiled lol), but he wants to get me a Pre-runner (he has an '02 Pre-runner), and I want a 4x4. I'm just trying to decide which would be better for me. I don't think they would get much different gas mileage, and thats the reason he wants me to get the 2wd. I will be doing some mild off-roading, so I think the 4x4 would be common sense, and since I'm paying about $8000-9000 of my own money towards the trucks down payment, I'm going to try and make sure I get the truck I want.

Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
There are a lot of people in the world that recognize the fact that they will rarely or never take their trucks off road.

There are also a lot of people in the world that do not want the complexity, extra weight, and extra maintainance that comes with 4WD.

Also, there are lots of people that don't want to pony up the extra cash required to buy a 4WD truck.

Some of these very same people, however, like the rugged look of the offroad tires and suspension.

For these people, there are pre runners.
You're going to be wasting gas in a pre-runner without the benefit of a transfer case.

Well price may be a huge factor. A 4x4 will cost a lot more then a 2wd prerunner.
However be prepared to pay up the yang in insurance for a 4X4 young buck....

·
Registered
62 Posts
hey, hey, dont scary him away. The difference in price will be only 2-3 thousands, between 2 and 4 wd, and insurance aint that expensive, i got mine for 80 a month. Iam 24.

·
Registered
94 Posts
That's One Of The Great Benefits To Living In America
You Can Drive What Ever You Want.

Some Drive Chevy's, Ford's, Dodge's, And Some Drive The best Made Trucks ,Toyota's

4x4 , 2x4 , 4x6 What Does It Matter , If You Want Good Gas Milege
Buy A Corolla. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well technically, I'll be listed as the primary driver on my dads '02 Prerunner and him as the primary driver on my new truck, so that insurance will be cheaper if I get the 4x4. But even with that, the insurance would be cheaper on a 2wd for him too. I've thought about it, and I just don't know if I can bring myself to driving a 2WD truck that kinda wants to be a 4WD truck. I don't really like appearance packages, and that seems to be mostly what the Prerunner is. I'm sure it has different shocks, but I dont go 40+mph over bumps and hills. The off-roading I'll be doing (mostly hunting, some exploring) will be slow and muddy, so I don't think I need shocks that are made for something like the desert trails in SoCal here in AR.

Okay, here's the big question: Do you think I could drive home a new Access Cab V6 4X4 Tacoma with only SR5 and off-road packages, nothing else, for around/under $25k? The main reason that my dad is scared of sticker shock is because one of his friends bought a Tacoma D-Cab 4x4, and the sticker on it was like $31k or something.

Oh, and does anyone know where I can find the Tacoma ads in magazines to put as my wallpaper? The trucks in those ads look great, lol.

Thanks for all the replies, and for reading all my novels lol

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
JohnJerk said:
You could def grab a base FJ for that...if you can find one (my friend did - ~$24K MT with locker). It'll perform better off road than the long-assed Tacos.
Bring yer FJ and lets see yer proof... What a noob statement

·
Registered
62 Posts
hahah, not sure if you want to say something like that on at the taco place. And comming from somebody who has a taco, man that hearts....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, from what I've heard, the guy was right. I've read several (supposedly) unbiased reviews, road tests, etc. that stated the FJ is one of the most capable off-road vehicles you can buy right now. And I have looked at them, but to get a 4X4 V6 Automatic, I think it will end up costing more. Either that or all the dealerships just have them marked up because there aren't that many of them. I think they look okay, but the Tacoma's are some of the best looking trucks on the road right now IMO. Basically, I'd take either one, depending on price. And if I get one that's a year old, it'll probably be the '06, because I'm not buying until this summer is over.

Thanks for all the info so far guys

·
Registered
81 Posts
As a short-bed double-cab taco owner, I think I've earned the right to call it long assed. I live in Utah, have taken it all over, and can tell you its length can get you into trouble fast! Yes, I should lift it and then report back.

Both in stock form, the FJ has a double-cab or access-cab taco beat off road - sorry but it does. And the stock Rubicon beats 'em both. I'm not trying to piss anyone off, really. Nor am I trying to hijack this thread...but indeed I am doing both.

Long live the Taco and objective evaluations thereof!

·
Takama's-N-Shit!
9,048 Posts
Your evaluation was lacking an important piece of information...................in that a stock FJC may be better "out of the box" than a stock taco........but I would like to see the FJC that can out wheel my "prerunner"!! ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts