TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Preignition problem.. HELP

Hi everybody,

I have just bought a used 99 tacoma V6 Manual transmission with ext. cab with 225K miles. The truck is in a great shape and I am trying to fix it up so hopefully I can drive another 225K. I have done some part replacements so far, I put new KYB shocks, new Valeo clutch kit, K&N air filter, new plugs and got it checked for combustion pressure which was around 170 f/s( the lowest was 165 the highest was 170). It was winter time when I bought this vehicle couple months ago, and It was runing great. When the weather started warming up, it started pining(like a diesel truck) in low rpm after 2nd gear and the check engine light came up. When I asked my mechanic he sad the problem was Preignition. My mechanic is VW tech and he has VW diagnostic computer, when he checked for the problem, it came back with Oxygen sensor failure. Now the question that I have is "Could Oxygen sensors cause Preignition" if not what else could cause it ? ( By the way I used some octane booster and premium gas and it helped a little but I can still hear it when I am going uphill. I am not sure if it will go away all the way or shall I keep putting premium untill it goes away?). I am planing to take it a Toyota service also, to see their diagnostics about the check engine light. I just dont want to put premium gas in it all the time and I dont know if it would be okay to drive with check engine light on all the time . I just want that damn preignition to go away completely. Please let me know what you think about it.

Second question is about the vibration that I have between 55-70 m/h. The truck drives smooth before 55m/h and after 70m/h. I dont know if it is normal or not but I can feel the vibration in the lower part of my body, the steering wheel feels fine. I have changed the shocks and there are brand new LXT Michelin tires on the truck and I have got them balanced again with active and passive balance machine. If you could also comment on this question I would appriciate. thanks again

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Help

Hey guys,

I havent heard anything from anybody yet, I just wanted to say I replaced the front(bank1) Oxygen sensor yesterday and I drove about 100 miles today and It is still making that awful sound(preignition) and the check engine light came back on again. I got it checked and it says " fuel too rich", I think I am going to take it to the Toyota service to see what is their diognastics going to be. PLEASE let me know what you think about this problem. I dont know what to do I already spent couple grands. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Don't take it to Toyota unless you just like throwing away money. I agree that you probably have a dirty Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) clean it with some Dielectric parts cleaner and you should be good to go. Go get a can at a chain parts store go out in the parking lot spray it into the air intake tube with the truck running then go back inside and tell one of the guys to bring the scan tool out to read your code and try and get him to erase it. The pinging that you are getting is more than likely the cheap oil that was used in the last oil change from who ever you bought the truck from. Get you some good oil like Mobil and add some lucas to the oil and it should get rid of the pinging.

PS... This is the wrong folder for this. This is a engine question that should have been in the engine folder. Also this has been covered many many many many times and you could have found info by using the search function.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
98taco4x said:
Don't take it to Toyota unless you just like throwing away money. I agree that you probably have a dirty Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) clean it with some Dielectric parts cleaner and you should be good to go. Go get a can at a chain parts store go out in the parking lot spray it into the air intake tube with the truck running then go back inside and tell one of the guys to bring the scan tool out to read your code and try and get him to erase it.
OK..the correct way to clean your MAF is to purchase some electrical contact cleaner from the auto parts store or radio shack. Make sure to get the kind that does not leave any residue. unscrew the MAF from the intake tube and clean it with the cleaner. Let it dry. Reinstall. Pull your EFI fuse for 30 seconds to clear the code and reset the computer and drive.

I would never spray any type of liquid into my air intake unless it is sometype of alcohol/water injection for forced induction engines.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys

thanks a lot for the respond, I am new on this thing I didnt know where to put the form. Tomarrow first thing I am going to get that done and see what happens. I will let you know if the sound is gone. Thanks again

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
98taco4x said:
Don't take it to Toyota unless you just like throwing away money. I agree that you probably have a dirty Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) clean it with some Dielectric parts cleaner and you should be good to go. Go get a can at a chain parts store go out in the parking lot spray it into the air intake tube with the truck running then go back inside and tell one of the guys to bring the scan tool out to read your code and try and get him to erase it. The pinging that you are getting is more than likely the cheap oil that was used in the last oil change from who ever you bought the truck from. Get you some good oil like Mobil and add some lucas to the oil and it should get rid of the pinging.

PS... This is the wrong folder for this. This is a engine question that should have been in the engine folder. Also this has been covered many many many many times and you could have found info by using the search function.
I have already changed the oil two times with full synthetic couple times with oil filter. Coulld it still do that ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
also

Do you guys think that should have I not changed my oxygen sensor at all ? because I still have the box and reciept for it and I could put the old one on and take the new one back ?

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
try the maf first. do you know waht code it was when the check engine light came on?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i think it was p0171(bank1) then I changed the Oxygen sensor( I bought bosh some people sad buy the toyota brand but they didnt have it in stock so then I went and bought Bosh from advanced auto ).

when the check engine came back on last night, we checked it this morning it came back with p0172(fuel too rich).

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
ADD Lucas synthetic additive about a pint and see if it helps.

I have been running synthetic since I bought my truck 3 years ago and last year in a money crunch I switched back to regular oil for one oil change and my valves rattled like crazy.

And the codes you posted are the typical codes for the Dirty MAF

Oh and Toyota and Bosch don't mix just for future refernce never have anything good from a Toyota person using Bosch products.

Umm Cooper4x4 the CRC Electronic Cleaner I have is a Methanol based fast drying non residue cleaner so how is that going to hurt anything spraying into the intake while the truck is running?

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Hey I just noticed you are in Johnson City, heck I work in Morristown off exit 8 on 81 bring your truck down here I got my can of Cleaner in the truck and we can fix you right up. Although I left my scan tool at the house so I can't read codes.

Come sign up on the TN board and introduce yourself. www.tnttora.com

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
98taco4x said:
Umm Cooper4x4 the CRC Electronic Cleaner I have is a Methanol based fast drying non residue cleaner so how is that going to hurt anything spraying into the intake while the truck is running?
but how do you know when you are recklessly spraying it into the intake that you are cleaning the MAF?

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
cooper4x4 said:
clean your MAF sensor. you probably have oil on it from the K&N.
X100, clean throttle body, and get a can of amzoil`s powerfoam/good CC & injector cleaner, plugs & plug wires ok?

it`s either a device failure, or yer combustion chamber is all carboned up-from running rich. I think toy made the fuel map WAY to rich....been wanting to lean mine down, somehow...computers should be "re-flashable"-right?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey man I just noticed that you were from Knoxville, I am trying to register for www.tnttora.com , I dont think I could make it to Morristown today or tomarrow maybe Sunday if you work sunday ?

I have a question, I have been reading some posts for K&N and people seems to not agree with If K&N filter is good or not ? what is the deal about it?

I have already tried a bottle of Lucas fuel cleaner couple weeks ago, I am not sure if it is the same thing that you mentioned ?

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
514 Posts
suphiceto said:
Hey man I just noticed that you were from Knoxville, I am trying to register for www.tnttora.com , I dont think I could make it to Morristown today or tomarrow maybe Sunday if you work sunday ?

I have a question, I have been reading some posts for K&N and people seems to not agree with If K&N filter is good or not ? what is the deal about it?

I have already tried a bottle of Lucas fuel cleaner couple weeks ago, I am not sure if it is the same thing that you mentioned ?

Thanks a lot
My KN kit ruined the sensative MAF sensor from the red air filter grease getting on it. I didnt get a CEL but it was running like absolute shit, remember the MAF and the front 02 sensor are the primary things responsible for your Air/Fuel Ratio's.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
No the Lucas Oil additive. I use the synthetic

The problems with the K&N is that the oil from the filter will collect on the sensor and any dirt that passes gets stuck as well and over time can cause the sensor to throw a code.

And no I don't work Sunday.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
cooper4x4 said:
but how do you know when you are recklessly spraying it into the intake that you are cleaning the MAF?
Cause I can see it, and the code goes away.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"Cooper4x4 the CRC Electronic Cleaner" Can i find this thing in advanced auto ? and You mentioned that the truck should be running. Isnt that spray formula going staright into engine?

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
suphiceto said:
"Cooper4x4 the CRC Electronic Cleaner" Can i find this thing in advanced auto ? and You mentioned that the truck should be running. Isnt that spray formula going staright into engine?
CRC is the brand name. Don't listen to 98taco4x. Take your MAF out. Remove the connector and the two screws and it comes right out. You should see a thin electrode between the plastic. It is probably dirty. Spray it down with the Electrical Cleaner and it will dissolve what is on the electrode. Let it dry. Reinstall. Pull the EFI fuse for 15-30 seconds to reset the computer and drive.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts