TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ahve a friend thats looking to get a newer 2007 Taco with v-6 and he is concerned about it saying that it requires the premium fuel.Is this true? I told him i'd ask you guys .I have seen lots of newer Tacos filling up with regular gas .Anyone know?

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
You can run either. The computer will change with the change in gas. You will lose some HP, but not enough to notice.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
The 4.0V6 will run fine on regular. It gets the same mileage, starts and idles the same, and goes down the road the same as premium.

The difference is at full throttle.

My truck pulls noticably harder, and shifts quicker when it's got premium in the tank.

Oddly, fuel seems to affect the cruise control more than anything else.

When my tank is full of premium, the cruise is smooth and steady. It's better than any thing else I have ever owned.

When I buy regular, my cruise control gets stupid. It down shifts for the slightest rise in the road and holds third gear forever before it shifts back up.

When I'm burning regular I won't even turn the cruise control on.

What I do is buy fuel according to what I'm doing. If I'm towing, or in a rowdy mood, or traveling, I buy premium.

For everything else, I burn regular.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Toyota posted the higher HP numbers running premium on the dyno. I researched this when I bought my truck. Running regular is fine. Don't waste the money unless you tow.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I used 87 since i got my truck in 05, no problems

But i drove my friends truck who uses only premium (same yr model) and when i stepped on the gas pedal it picked up pretty fast. Noticeably faster than my taco.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I use the in-between' 89 octane on my wife's 4.0 4Runner and will be doing the same on my 2007 tacoma.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I can echo what fast frank has said. My '06 runs fine on 87, but my mileage actually went up ~1 mpg in town and around 2-4 mpg on the highway with 92 (mostly w/ cruise).

I think the cruise issue is that the higher octane fuel allows the motor to 'bog' down a bit more without tripping the detonation sensor, thus signaling the tranny to down-shift. In-all, the cruise issue is so annoying I almost always buy premium.

·
Registered
186 Posts
tercel89 said:
I ahve a friend thats looking to get a newer 2007 Taco with v-6 and he is concerned about it saying that it requires the premium fuel.Is this true?
If you look at what the manual actually says, it calls for a fuel spec with refferences and a number that looks like it says 93 (or 91, I can't remember and its too cold to go outside an look it up).

Anywho, look at the wording in the manual and then look at the wording on the actual "regular" grade pump certification sticker (87 octane) and you will see they match. I was concerned about this when I bought my truck.

The 1GR-FE is designed to run on regular gas. It will run better on premium just like every other vehical out there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts