TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been cuttin, notchin, grindin & weldin 2 sets of sliders & a bumper so I aint lazy ... except on research ... so somebody point me in the right direction re preping & painting raw mild steel cause I gotta paint (cover up bugger welds before I take pics to show yall). [email protected]#$ rusts fast up here! HELP!

·
Registered
911 Posts
Whe i did my sliders I Just wiped them down real good with acetone (or something similar) to clean up the general grease,oil,whatever is on the metal. I just did 2 coats primer and 2 coats paint but I think that may be a little overkill!!! Just make sure to wipe down the bare metal till the rag is clean. Paint should stick pretty well

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
when i painted my bumpers and sliders, i sanded them down to rough up the metal so the paint would adhere better, and then just took rubbing alchool to clean them. i have heard some people use brake cleaner as well. then i put 1 coat of primer and like 3 coats of paint on top of that. (exept the rear bumper, i put 5 coats on that :D ) it is best to do alot of light coats, then a couple heavy ones. also if you can find somewhere to hang everything by hooks or something so you dont have to move it around, i have found that to be much much easier...

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
if u have access to sand blast thats the best, unless theyre already welded on

1 - 9 of 9 Posts