TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've finally done it!

Right now I'm about 90% finished. I still have to mount the front Drive Shaft, mount the Twin-Sticks, and button up the center console.

Last weekend I got all of the following done:
  • Removed stock UCA's
  • Removed stock PreRunner Spindles
  • Installed new Camburg UCA's
  • Installed 4WD Spindles w/ Aisin manual hubs
  • Installed Donahoe Racing Extended-Travel Coilovers
  • Installed front diff
  • Installed CV Shafts

I was so pressed for time (b/c I was doing all the work 100% on my own) that I didn't have time to stop and take any pictures. I couldn't even stop to eat lunch!

Here's a pic from this week where - if you look close - you'll notice Manual Hubs, Camburg UCA's and Donahoes:

This weekend I've gotten the following done:

• Removed stock PreRunner drive shaft
  • Removed transmission tail housing
  • Installed new Inchworm tail housing/adapter plate
  • Installed Inchworm Transfer Case
  • BudBuilt Crossmember Installed
  • Installed rear drive shafts

Here are a few pics from that:

Tail Housing Removed from PreRunner Transmission:

Inchworm PreRunner Adapter Plate:

Inchworm PreRunner casting and coupler mounted:

Inchworm "Lefty" Transfer Case Installed:

I got the Crossmember mounted up, but I ran out of time at the shop so I didn't get a pic with the Crossmember mounted, and Rear D-shaft connected.

The calculations that I did in THIS THREAD ended up being right on! I took a stock 4WD Tacoma rear driveshaft and had it shortened by 4", and it turned out to be dead on balls! My logic that since I'm shortening the rear D-shaft by 4", I should extend the front D-shaft by 4" . . . that turned out to be WRONG! My front driveshaft is about 1" too long. So I'm gonna have it shortened back down by about 2 1/2" and it should be perfect.

Everything has gone pretty smooth. No big drama, aside from not having a few bolts that I needed, and stuff like that. I will take and post more pics as I get the last few details buttoned up.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The Cost!

For you inquiring minds that want to know how much this conversion cost - Here is how it breaks down:

4WD Conversion Parts & Price List:

Front Drivetrain:
  • 1999 Tacoma Front Diff with 4.88's
  • 1999 4WD Spindles
  • Aisin OEM Manual Hubs
  • CV Shafts
  • OEM 4.10 Gears
    [$800]
  • 1999 ExCab F & R Driveshafts
    [$275]

Tranny / T-Case:
  • Inchworm "Lefty" Gear Driven T-Case w/ 5.0:1 Low Range
  • Inchworm PreRunner Transmission/T-Case Adapter Plate Kit
  • FROR Twin Sticks
  • Toyota T-Case Mount
  • Speed Sensor
    [$2500]
  • BudBuilt Crossmember/Skid Plate
    ($218)

Front Suspension Upgrades:
  • Used Donahoe Racing Extended Travel Coilovers
    ($500)
  • Donahoe Racing Extended Travel Coilovers rebuilt by DR
    ($160)
  • Camburg Uniball Upper Control Arms
    ($475)
  • WabFab Off-Road Swaybar Quick-Disconnects
    ($75)
  • Replacement OEM Lower Ball Joint's
    ($35)

Misc:
  • Regearing front diff back to 4.10
    ($260)
  • Lengthening/shortening Front/Rear Driveshafts
    ($325)
  • Replacement Studs for Manual Hubs
    ($17)
  • Repalcement Gaskets for Manual Hubs
    ($12)
  • New Center Console (front Half for 4WD shifter)
    ($37)

TOTAL:
$5689 (Plus odds & ends like bolts, permatex, etc.)

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
good for you man, thats great!

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Jamie, I SOOOO wish that I could have been able to come up to help you out. If things would have been ready in March, I would have been all over it. I'm glad that things went nice and smooth (kinda like I told you they would). :D You and I need to talk about Moab though. Bad news on my end but hopefully good news for you. Gimme a buzz sometime soon.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll give you a call this week.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Hey, Jamie, way to go, especially considering you did this single-handedly! (Well, you probably used both hands, but you get the idea...)

-Radar

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Nice job Jamie. That Inchworm transfer case looks sweet. Only question that I have is why didn't you just regear the rear to 4.88 instead of staying with 4.10s?

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Because on THIS TRUCK - I don't forsee myself ever going with any tires bigger than 32's or 33's, and I'm already Supercharged with all the performance mods, and everything - so I have plenty of power.

Even if I was going to regear, I would need to regear to 4.56 as 4.88 would be way too much.

In the T-case I got 5.00:1 in Low Range, so I think I'm all set on my gearing.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Congrats on getting it done by yourself. I bet you learned a lot. How do you like the low gearing?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Jamie, which method of getting the UCAs off and pressing in the slug into the spindle? I'm trying to get prepped for doing mine here soon. Thanks!

-Radar

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On my Truck getting the stock UCA's off was a snap. Nothing to it. Just remember to unbolt the airbag sensors. Getting all 4 washers on there with the new UCA's was a little tricky, but IT CAN BE DONE (and done by yourself - as long as your arms are as long as mine!)

Getting the slug into the spindle was 1/2 home-made press, and 1/2 hammer!

Got the idea for the home-made press from here:
http://www.parksoffroad.com/tacomamods/allpro1inuni/allpro1inuni.htm

·
Registered
531 Posts
Awesome job! . . . Congrats from a fellow convert! . . . Got any trails to go back and show who's boss? I know I did. . . . Going back with 4WD makes the old obsticals feel like a walk in the park. . . . But of course there's always bigger and badder stuff out there. . . .

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Damn dude! That's awesome!

BTW, what's the matter with your fellow Illinoisians, they couldn't help a brother out ; )

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BTW, what's the matter with your fellow Illinoisians
...You tell me and we'll both know!

I don't mean this as an attack against anyone, and I didn't expect people to drop what's going on in their lives to help me out, but ever since I moved here from SoCal, Midwest TTORA has proven tima and time again to be nothing but a lot of hot air. With few exceptions most of the guys from around here are a bunch of flakes that can't be counted on.

The times we've tried to get a trail run together (with the exception of Tall Corn) it always starts with 10 people saying "I'll be there, dude!" and it always whittles down to 1 or 2 guys that actually go, or the whole thing falls apart and nobody goes.

I wasn't really counting on anyone to show up and help, and I made sure I had all the resouces I needed to do it all on my own if I had to . . . but it would have been nice to have had some assistance.

Yet another reason that it will be nice to get back to SoCal where there's actually a pretty big corps of ACTIVE WHEELERS - not web wheelers.

·
Registered
361 Posts
nice dude, ive been contemplating the prerunner adapter and the lefty, i think im just gonna find a used case and used tranny to do mine

did it throw the case shifter farther back or what?

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
nice job!!!

just a question though, why didnt you just do a sas instead? it would have turned out about the same price. just curious b/c thats what i would have done, but you may not be wanting to go that far with your truck YET. lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nice job man. Questiion. Seems I remember you saying you ran the Superlift ORV park in Hot Springs as a locked prerunner. Are there some decent trails I could run there with my prerunner? Im getting kinda tired of beach wheeling and looking for some trails. Nothing too hard core, but a challege at least. You've been an inspiration. I think I see a conversion in my future

1 - 20 of 64 Posts