TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So let's imagine a prerunner owner that wants to add a rear locker to his tacoma, and he is under the influence that 4x4 trd equipped tacoma's come with a rear locker stock. Okay, If this guy went to a junkyard and came across a wrecked trd tacoma that got in a front end collision, but the rear axle and all was fine, what would he need to take off the wrecked tacoma to give his prerunner the rear locking diff ability? Are the trd lockers engaged by a cable or are they electric? What kind of operation would need to be performed to complete this task and would it be better to just swap out the whole axle instead of fooling with replacing the diff?

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
Need the entire axle & diff - try to get as much of the wiring harness & switch
ABS- can be a hassle if its mix & match between the donor & recipient

-its Electronically activated

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
someone also makes a cable actuator. i'd just throw a spool in there chirp chirp chirp

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
the trd prerunners also have the locker

but you may want to rethink the whole swap. the trd axel is weaker than the non trd.

if i had to do it over again i would have kept my non trd axel and put an arb locker in it

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
If I still had my Non-TRD Prerunner-
I would have put an LSD in it.

(My current 4wd Tacoma has front & rear ARB's, while my bro's 4wd has a rear LSD)

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Yep, the entire axle assembly and the wiring harness.

As far as wiring up the locker, you've got a couple of options..

1. You can take the entire rear harness and swap it over. This harness controls not only the locker, but also everything else from the cab back. This includes the gas level sensor, tail lights, turn signals, and license plate lights. The harness disconnects under the drivers seat. Even if your truck didn't come with a TRD, you will have the connector under your seat.
1a. If you are going to swap the entire harness, you might as well get the locker ECU. The locker ECU is located under the drivers kick panel. Again, even if your truck was not equiped with the rear locker, you will have the harness for it. It's a direct plug in.

2. You second option is to just get the harness and wire it up to a DPDT switch. When I swapped my axle, I went this route because I didn't have access to the entire harness and locker ECU. Dicks write-up can be found here: http://www.tacomaterritory.com/wiki/index.php/Rear_Locker

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the responses, I'm currently locating a donor truck so this all can happen. One question though, why would a trd equipped truck have weaker axles than a non trd? Seems kinda backwards...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Let's say you don't want to do an axle swap...What's the easiest/cheapest way to get LSD or a locker into a prerunner? I'm looking at doing this next for my 02 prerunner, but I'm not looking to spend too much, and I want the work to be fairly less-complicated.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
tacoma02pr said:
Let's say you don't want to do an axle swap...What's the easiest/cheapest way to get LSD or a locker into a prerunner? I'm looking at doing this next for my 02 prerunner, but I'm not looking to spend too much, and I want the work to be fairly less-complicated.

Thanks guys.
cheapest actual locker = Lock-Right or No Slip. it'll take some time to get used to once its in

best bet is an ARB but they aren't cheap

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
drabnor said:
cheapest actual locker = Lock-Right or No Slip. it'll take some time to get used to once its in

best bet is an ARB but they aren't cheap

only the ARB is an actual locker. stop spreading this shitty info RJ. i know that you know what those really do. they work when you dont need em and dont when you do. Ive seen em in action and was not at all impressed.

i say ARB for a trail truck, or the TRD swap, that would really be my first choice, for a desert or trail rig just get a spool.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
miguelitro said:
only the ARB is an actual locker. stop spreading this shitty info RJ. i know that you know what those really do. they work when you dont need em and dont when you do. Ive seen em in action and was not at all impressed.

i say ARB for a trail truck, or the TRD swap, that would really be my first choice, for a desert or trail rig just get a spool.
he says he wants cheap... you get what you pay for :rolleyes: whatever, i wouldn't ever put one of those Lock-Rights in my rig

my next locker will be a spool, but it'll be in a ford 9" :xpimp:

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I'm just sick of people putting those in and saying they are locked(tweeter) that is just bull shit and misinformation...which of course makes it the PERFECT info for and intraweb forum!

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
miguelitro said:
only the ARB is an actual locker.
miguelitro said:
I'm just sick of people putting those in and saying they are locked(tweeter) that is just bull shit and misinformation...
How are lock-rights not lockers (aka locking differentials)?
There are sub-categories for all of these traction aiding devices

ARB/E-locker are selectable lockers

Lock-rights are automatic lockers

So you are saying that people running detroits, lock-rights, etc...are not locked?

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
yes that is what i am saying...well technically I am saying that they are only locked sometimes. i have followed many auto-locked rigs and seen them lifting tires and spinning tires. THAT IS NOT LOCKED TO ME. i worry that that will cause breakage down the line but that is another story. i recently walked right through stuff on 31's while my friend on 33's with an auto "locker" spun tires, sliid sidways and aquired damage to his sheet metal(yeah it a happens but would not have happened with a real locker, only an open diff or an auto "locker") yes his works as its supposed to.

are they better than open sure, are they truly locked NO.
and i'm no mall crawliing newbie here so dont assume that.

sorry for the book but I truly believe this. My first instinct is that these are glorifies LSDs:D but that might ruffle some feathers LOL
Mike

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
miguelitro said:

How do they not work when you need them to? I've wheeled with a couple of Tacos with auto-lockers and they've done exceptionally well. Never slipped.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Interex said:
How do they not work when you need them to? I've wheeled with a couple of Tacos with auto-lockers and they've done exceptionally well. Never slipped.
and i've seen lifted tires spin while the other tire on the ground didnt spin. they work sometimes but not all the time. this is of course my experience with watching rigs with them here in the rocks in So cal.

I'm not trying to argue really just saying what i believe to be true and have seen with my own eyes. yes eventually they did grab and get the rig up the obstacle when they locked.

i'd rather have a on or off locker not a sometimes or maybe. my dos pesos.
Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts