TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I am a newbie here as of today and am in the market for the parts needed to convert my 2001 Tacoma PreRunner 2.7l Auto to a 4WD. I really like the previous gen. Tacos (01-04) and also can't afford a new one and I think a conversion is just what I need so I can keep my truck till it wears out. I am curious if anyone can point me in the right direction to find the parts I need or if anyone by chance has any of them or knows someone who does that has done a SAS or something.

1) T-case
2) Tranny mount
3) Front driveshaft
4) Front diff.
5) Front CV joints/axles
6) Front spindles and hubs, at least I think
7) console piece and shifter
8) I am hoping I don't have to swap trannies, i want to leave that alone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

·
Veteran Newbie
600 Posts
Well from what I found it is most of the time cheaper and a whole hell of a lot easier to just trade it for a 4x4 than doing the swap.

·
Registered
0 Posts
toyotadude04 said:
Hey all, I am a newbie here as of today and am in the market for the parts needed to convert my 2001 Tacoma PreRunner 2.7l Auto to a 4WD. I really like the previous gen. Tacos (01-04) and also can't afford a new one and I think a conversion is just what I need so I can keep my truck till it wears out. I am curious if anyone can point me in the right direction to find the parts I need or if anyone by chance has any of them or knows someone who does that has done a SAS or something.

1) T-case
2) Tranny mount
3) Front driveshaft
4) Front diff.
5) Front CV joints/axles

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Search feature is your friend...

Drabnor is the man you want to hear from...

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2976

·
Master "Yota"
431 Posts
Didn't you ask this question at Tundra Solutions last night, and didn't you conclude that you can't afford to do it because it would cost you more than $2000 to do? Not to mention you'd have to pay someone to do the conversion because you can't. Now you want to SAS it too. :eek: Holy dude did you win the lottery like you were hoping, or are you just posting for the sake of posting in order to raise yourself out newbiville. ;) Most guys here will tell you like I did, if you can't do the work yourself you're better off selling your prerunner and buying a used 4x4. It'll be cheaper. I'm not saying your not, but if you're not totally serious about doing this you shouldn't have posted it because it's a waste of people's time to reply do to the complexity of the issue. Not to mention you failed to use the search function because this has been discussed before. So be prepared to get flamed. Good Luck. :D

·
Registered
0 Posts
tbrown said:
Didn't you ask this question at Tundra Solutions last night, and didn't you conclude that you can't afford to do it because it would cost you more than $2000 to do? Not to mention you'd have to pay someone to do the conversion because you can't. Now you want to SAS it too. :eek: Holy dude did you win the lottery like you were hoping, or are you just posting for the sake of posting in order to raise yourself out newbiville. ;) Most guys here will tell you like I did, if you can't do the work yourself you're better off selling your prerunner and buying a used 4x4. It'll be cheaper. I'm not saying your not, but you're not serious about doing this you shouldn't have posted it because it's a waste of people's time to reply do to the complexity of the issue. Not to mention you failed to use the search function because this has been discussed before. So be prepared to get flamed. Good Luck. :D

Ouch! Nice.... :xpopcorn2

Snutty did his swap here at our house....it was NOT an easy task to say the least. Is wasn't hard, but then again, we had TONS of tools and a few people with experiece on our side. And welders, and spare parts, and very good preparation. Sad that Snutty eneded up selling his truck.....glad he moved to So-Cal though!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Eventually I am going to 4WD my prerunner, but it will never see IFS 4WD. If you want to convert it to IFS 4WD, just trade it. You're looking at spending a good bit of money.

It's going to take a lot of money and dedication to SAS my Prerunner Dcab but it's something I really want to do one day. I'm going to switch to a 5-speed as well.

And as for SAS information, check the three forums dedicated to it.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
nilson said:
Eventually I am going to 4WD my prerunner,
It's going to take a lot of money and dedication to SAS my Prerunner but it's something I really want to do one day.

Me too!...one day

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
toyotadude04 said:

1) T-case
2) Tranny mount
3) Front driveshaft
4) Front diff.
5) Front CV joints/axles

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Welcome to the board. Its eaiser to trade in your truck for a 4x4.

·
Registered
436 Posts
toyotadude04 said:
I am curious if anyone can point me in the right direction to find the parts I need

1) T-case
2) Tranny mount
3) Front driveshaft
4) Front diff.
5) Front CV joints/axles

Thanks in advance,

Chris
since i didnt see u'r post on tundra solution like the other guy mentioned, thats just heresay to me. i am assuming u have a good selection of tools and knowledge since u are even wanting to attempt it, cuz a shop would charge an arm and a leg im sure. but use the search and u will find plenty of info. and for your parts search, i'll suggest www.car-part.com is a good place to start looking. hopefully u can find places close to save on shipping as well. and good luck if u decide to do it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
tbrown - Excuse me for being interrested in converting my truck to a 4WD. FYI - i DID use the search feature and emailed one guy that did the conversion about emailing me his write-up. My post was not about HOW to do it or IF it could be done. If you would read it carefully, all i was looking for was anyone who could help me find the parts, possibly someone who had DONE AN SAS THAT HAD THE PARTS LAYING AROUND! Nowhere did I say I now wanted to do an SAS. The reason I figured I would post on TTORA and TS is because not everyone posts on both sites as you and I do.
Honestly, I had no idea it would be such a big deal if you had all of the parts needed since the PreRunner setup is identical to the 4WDs sans the actual 4WD stuff. I figured it would be mostly bolt-up stuff with a little cutting. But I really don't want to sell my truck for another one and in all honesty, since you question my seriousness, if I knew I could find the parts and have someone else do it for me for $2,000 to $2,500, I would do it in a heartbeat. My uncle has a shop and would help me for extremely reasonable so thats not a major concern for me.
Its nice to see that the people who said TTORA members are bad about flaming each other and other posters were telling the truth. Perhaps I'll stay over at TS and resort to reading posts only over here.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I am getting very sick of this 'it'll cost more' crap. Yes the POTENTIAL to cost more if you buy all of your parts from a damn commercial dismantler. If all of you mentioning that would read into this shit, the most expensive swap out of what, 3-4 I have reviewed, was in the low 2000's from a guy with a 01-04. Look in the write up area, check the approximate price listed for that guy's... By the way, remember the IRS is always waiting for people to buy new vehicles.

·
Master "Yota"
431 Posts
Toyotadude04,
I wasn't flaming you I was only wondering if you're truly serious about this giant undertaking. When you post that you're hoping to do it for only $2000 parts and labour, it raises serious questions about if you're realistic and serious about doing it or not. It was you that said at Tundra Solutions I quote "parts plus, labor would be rediculous. I guess I will just have to wait till I win the lottery." Then the next day you post here claiming you're looking for parts to do the conversion, and now you say your uncle can help you with it. You seem to be a little inconsitent in the messages you send in your posts. Can you see why it may raise questions as to if you're serious or not? If your going to do it great! I was only ribbing you a bit with the "did you win the lottery", and "newbiville" comments. No ill feelings should be taking by them. That's hardly flaming.
In your original post you mentioned you were looking for a guy who has done a SAS so I assumed you were considering that too, I never thought that you were maybe looking for parts. Sorry.
As for the rest of my comments I was serious because this site differs tremendously from that of say Tundra Solutions of Custom Tacos, in that guys here have real technical knowledge about such things like SAS, and 4x4 conversions and that knowledge should not be taken for granted, because the more people post asking for help if they have no real intentions, the less the guys with knowledge will be willing to help. So if you want to stay at Tundra Solutions only feel free but you will never aquire as much real knowledge there as you will here. If you do plan to stick around guys here are more than willing to help you, but you will have to get a better feel for the site and not take everything to heart or you won't last. Again, Good Luck!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Just for comparison, in 2004 Toyota charged more than $3,000 extra for a new 4x4 than a similar PreRunner. I recommend selling your PreRunner and buying a 4x4.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Toyotadude04,

Sorry you have to wade through so many discouraging remarks on here. For the life of me, I can't comprehend why so many posts on here disparage and discourage a relatively easy and much less costly BOLT-ON 4x4 conversion, while hallmarking and cheering on a much more complicated and much more costly SAS that requires lots of cutting, welding and downtime.

I haven't done or helped with a conversion yet, but from the looks of it, and after reading a few posts on other forums and a tech write-up on here, it sure doesn't sound as difficult as alot make it out to be. My guess is that the hardest part of the whole thing is swapping out the tranny for a 4x4 tranny simply because of its size and weight. I've done trannies before, and they're not that hard. I've also done diffs and have helped a buddy change out CV axles on his Tacoma, and that was fairly easy as well.

Anyway, go to the TX TTORA Chapter forum on delphi and look for a guy named Chad (aka "Reaper"). He did the conversion over a weekend with the help of some local TTORA buddies. Someone else mentioned Snutty's conversion. He posted to me once that he got all the parts used for as little as $1000. Do another search in the Tacoma folder at 4x4wire.com for a guy in Ohio that did the conversion by himself over the weekend. He bought a wrecked Tacoma for $1500 and swapped in all necessary the parts. Lastly, check out this write-up:

http://tacomaterritory.com/wiki/index.php/Prerunner_to_4_wheel_drive_conversion

His write-up confirms the hardest part of the whole thing is swapping out the tranny. Honestly, trannies are no big deal. I've done several already. Since our Tacoma trannies are electronic, they're even easier than the older trannies where you had to mess and fiddle with throttle-valve adjustments and correct shift linkages. The hardest part of doing trannies in your driveway is lifting the truck high enough off the ground so it'll clear the frame rails. When you go to stab it in, get some longer bolts for the bell-housing to line it all up. To tighten the hard to reach bell-housing bolts up top, I used a bunch of extensions connected to each other to make one long extension - piece of cake.

Sure, you can avoid all that wrenching time by going the much easier and simpler route of trading in your Prerunner for a 4x4. But it's not necessarily cheaper. In fact, it's probably more expensive. I know. I looked into it myself when I had a 99 Prerunner with 170K miles on it and was thinking of trading it in for a 4x4. I was looking at a $3K-$3.5K hit to trade in my 99 Prerunner with all its suspension mods, rear locker, rim/tire combo, custom bumpers and known maintenance history, for an older, bone-stock 96 4x4 with the same high mileage, no rear locker and an unknown maintenance history. After months of searching and dealing with dealers offering me peanuts for my Prerunner, I gave up on that. I probably would've eventually done the conversion on my Prerunner, but I wrecked it.

If you decide you want to trade it in anyway on a 4x4, your best bet is probably not to trade it in, but to sell it privately - you'll get alot more for it in a private sale than in a trade-in. Then you can go buy a 4x4 with more cash in hand than if you had traded it in. Unfortunately, if your Prerunner is your only means of transportation, like it was for me at the time, then that option isn't really feasible. It can take weeks, if not months, to find the 4x4 you're looking for at a decent price. In the meantime, what are you supposed to do for transportation?

My vote, which is probably in the minority on here, is to go with the conversion. Cost-wise, you should be ahead than if you were to trade it in at a dealership. Wrenching-wise, it shouldn't take more than a weekend to do with the help of some buddies, and if your uncle is willing to do it in his shop, then it should take even less time to do.

If you decide you'd rather go with an SAS, then that will obviously cost a whole lot more. I've heard an SAS can cost about $5K-$6K. I've never done one, but I can tell you that I scored a 47 CJ2A Willys with a solid front axle for $1400. I also got an 86 Ford Bronco for $500. I can do an SAS on the Bronco with a D44 out of a 78-79 Bronco/F150 for about $1K and alot less headache and work than on a Tacoma. So for about $3K, I could have 2 solid axle 4x4s. Don't get me wrong, I think SAS Tacomas are awesome. I'm just saying it's alot more expensive and complicated to do on a Tacoma than on other vehicles. Then again, we do have an expensive hobby! Best thing to do is to just go out and wheel and have fun!

·
Master "Yota"
431 Posts
equin said:
Toyotadude04,

Sorry you have to wade through so many discouraging remarks on here. For the life of me, I can't comprehend why so many posts on here disparage and discourage a relatively easy and much less costly BOLT-ON 4x4 conversion, while hallmarking and cheering on a much more complicated and much more costly SAS that requires lots of cutting, welding and downtime.
It's worth it if you can do the work yourself like I said originally but if you don't have the knowledge to do it and have to pay someone it'll cost a whole lot more than it's worth at which time it would be cheaper to sell and buy. That's what people are saying. No one is saying he shouldn't do it if he can but unless he wants to pay a shop big time $$$$ he's better off selling. As far as being an easy mod yeah right! The guy who did the write up, the one that was refered earlier, even says "Be forewarned, this mod is not for the faint of heart, it is fairly mechanicly difficult as you need a wide variety of tools/know how." Not something a novice with limited knowledge and know how would or should want to take on. As for his uncle doing the work for free or next to nothing, this is something that contradicts his first statement at Tundra Solutions where he stated that he would have to pay for the work and "labor would be rediculous" his words not mine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Glad somebody does :rolleyes: J/K :D

Thanx for the replies everyone. I started calling salvage yards today and I called my uncle. Seems the Yotas get parted out really fast. Anyway, he told me he knew a good one in Tulsa and said he would call the guy and have him look around for me.

Thanks again

·
Registered
6 Posts
How you guys doing everyone, so I have a 2002 prerunner converted to a 4x4 with ifs. The only real problem im having is my speedometer and odometer is not working cause of my speed sensor. Idk if it is the wiring to the sensor or wrong sensor/gear or my guages. Can someone plz help me out

1 - 20 of 20 Posts