TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2004 PreRunner TRD Off-Road, XtraCab V6. Love the truck...but it rides rough on the street (great off-road!!). Since I drive on the street 99% of the time...I'd like it to ride smoother. Toyota says the TRD has a "modified rear leaf spring suspension." I was wondering if the Standard PreRunner suspension (Non-TRD) rides any softer? Would changing the leaf springs improve the ride or should I change the Bilstein Shocks? Any Suggestions???

·
Registered
279 Posts
mcginnism said:
I have a 2004 PreRunner TRD Off-Road, XtraCab V6. Love the truck...but it rides rough on the street (great off-road!!). Since I drive on the street 99% of the time...I'd like it to ride smoother. Toyota says the TRD has a "modified rear leaf spring suspension." I was wondering if the Standard PreRunner suspension (Non-TRD) rides any softer? Would changing the leaf springs improve the ride or should I change the Bilstein Shocks? Any Suggestions???
I could never tell the obvious difference between the TRD and non TRD leafs. they are different part #'s though. Last time I went through this I thought the middle and lower leaf on the TRD ones were thinner. They are supposed to be "off cambered" somehow though I can't tell. I'm not sure they ride any different. I'd play with the shocks for a less stiff ride.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I wouldnt say the NON TRD springs ride any better. Your best bet would be some new leafs...like maybe Deavers, and some new shocks...say Bilstein 5100 or 5150.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
mcginnism said:
The stock rear suspension isnt stiff at all, the factory leaf springs are the same TRD or not, the only change is stocks, and infront the coils are progressive, but the rear springs are not any different. I would say if you find the ride rough now, maybe you should have bought a camery, because tacomas are notoriously soft off the factory floor.

·
Registered
279 Posts
DesertTRD said:
The stock rear suspension isnt stiff at all, the factory leaf springs are the same TRD or not, the only change is stocks, and infront the coils are progressive, but the rear springs are not any different. I would say if you find the ride rough now, maybe you should have bought a camery, because tacomas are notoriously soft off the factory floor.
Nah man, they are different. Part #'s are different.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I thought the TRD's had one extra leaf. Looks that way in the repair manual

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TRD Off-Road

Spoke to Toyota yesterday...There are two part numbers for Tacoma Leafs, Standard and Heavy duty. Toyota says the Heavy duty leafs are put on the TRD off-road's..I gave them my VIN and confirmed this. What they couldn't confirm is if the standard leaf's would work. I'm pretty sure the TRD Off-Road has more ground clearance/travel. They didnt have either leaf in stock so I couldn't compare.

·
Registered
114 Posts
DesertTRD said:

I have to disagree with you there... I have driven lots of trucks and I too thought my Taco rode pretty stiff straight off the lot with the TRD package.

I didn't think it was too bad or I wouldn't have bought it but, I thought for a 01 pick-up it was rather stiff.

Thanks,

Jason

1 - 9 of 9 Posts