TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so was bored this afternoon and was thinking that it would be nice to have a press brake. I have seen the ones that are online and thought that they look easy enough, so i sat down and drew one up on Sketchup. I went to the garage and looked around to see what all i had for metal to work with and drew this design off what i have, i have not built it yet but will be tomorrow. You are welcome to change whatever you want to suit your needs.

Sketchup is a free program that can be downloaded from google. I will upload the file so you can change it as you want, it is a full 3D file and everything can be printed in 1 to 1 or full size and used as a template.

Also if you build this i would like to see pics so please post them up on here.

I still need to figure out how to post the sketchup file on here if anyone knows please help me on that.

Tools needed

3/4” drill bit, drill press, mill or grinder if you are good, welder, metal cutting saw or plasma cutter.

Metterai list :saw::welder:

11” of 3/4” round bar
5” of 1”OD - 3/4”ID Dom tube
40” of 1/4” x 1/4” angle
20” x 5/8" x 3” flat bar
22 1/2” x 1” x 8” flat stock
2 return springs

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I know they make them. The purpose of what i did is so anyone who wants one can make one. for way less than 170 bucks. I am making mine for free with things that i have laying around why pay for one when you can make it.

i thought people would be more for the diy idea than this, its kinda disappointing that no one really seems interested in the idea.:confused:
I think it's a great idea. I need a press first though.:mad:

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Thoughts:

1. The "Die" end of your rig is made of angle iron. I suspect that there will be a possibility of crushing the angle. This will be more apparent if you try to bend a narrow piece of thicker steel. Once the angles flatten out on one spot, bending larger flats will be impossible.

Maybe a steel rib welded vertical inside the angle? This would not be difficult to do and would make the angle iron very difficult to crush, and greatly increase the thickness of the steel you can bend.

2. The moving end of your rig will have a 90 degree angle, not 45.

Otherwise, it looks pretty good to me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thoughts:

1. The "Die" end of your rig is made of angle iron. I suspect that there will be a possibility of crushing the angle. This will be more apparent if you try to bend a narrow piece of thicker steel. Once the angles flatten out on one spot, bending larger flats will be impossible.

Maybe a steel rib welded vertical inside the angle? This would not be difficult to do and would make the angle iron very difficult to crush, and greatly increase the thickness of the steel you can bend.

2. The moving end of your rig will have a 90 degree angle, not 45.

Otherwise, it looks pretty good to me.
so i was thinking about using some 1 x 2 solid bar and milling it to a 45 and butting them together. That away there is no way that it will crush.

when i was talking about the 45 i was meaning 45 on one side and another 45 on the other to make a 90.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I like it. One problem I see though, when you bend steel it springs back so you won't be able to get 90º out of the press brake unless you increase the angle on the pieces.
In my experience using a professional press brake, I believe the vertical shear part was beveled smaller than 45 per side. Because of this I could force the press down and the metal I was bending would actually lift off the mating V groove on the bottom of the brake. I believe this happens because the metal is compressed at the very bottom of the V. Keep in mind this was on a 40 ton press.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts