TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to pull my 1998 V6 4WD manual trans because of bad transmission input bearing. My truck has 250k miles. I greased the driveshaft almost every oil change. No known noise or issues - wondering if it's a good idea to take the drive shaft (rear only) to a shop for a checkup? I worry that even if nothing is wrong they will find something even though I'm happy to pay for inspection.

Also wanted to ask - there is no way to get a socket on the driveshaft flange nuts/bolts, correct?
Reason I ask is that I have had the driveshaft off a few times and I use a 12 point box wrench and a mallet but the nut corners are getting a little rounded. I can get some new nuts but I hate going to the dealer just for nuts.

Otherwise I may pick up a 6 point box wrench in that size as Amazon carries individual wrenches.

Thanks

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Ok, just tried a 14mm socket on the driveshaft nuts - works with a short 3" extension.
Now I recall that the bolts are the problem, no way to get a socket on and they are very short heads. I'll probably have to use the open end side of the wrench and hope it holds because when I put the 12pt closed end on it there is a lot of play.

I removed the driveshafts, I guess those bolts on the transfer case flanges are captive. My memory must be failing me:oops:

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,464 Posts
Yeah, transfer case flange has pressed studs. If your center support bushing doesn't have excessive slop or bad bearing and the u-joints don't have stiff areas or have excessive play, you are fine.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, also have to separate the transfer case from the transmission because i have to have the transmission serviced. The orange sealant between transfer and transmission is called out as 08826-00090. I see it on ebay for $36. Is it best to use this Toyota FIPG?

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,464 Posts
I use ultra-black RTV for those mating surfaces. What service are you having done to the transmission?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bad input bearing, sounds like tumbling pebbles at idle and 1st, 2nd gear, especially when I run it all day (oil heats up I guess).
I had a shop change all bearings on a different Toyota trans before and it was far cheaper than a rebuilt. And from what I can tell on the rebuilt units they only change comps with obvious wear so they likely won't change all of the bearings.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,464 Posts
Make sure to change the pilot bearing on the crank while the trans is out. If that bearing is bad, it will cause the input shaft bearing to fail.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts