TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've had 3 taco's so far ( 96, 98, and now the 02)...im actually thinking about getting an FJ as my next rig...that or the new gen. taco.....anyone out there that used to have a taco (or still do) that now have an FJ....? Pro's Con's etc...what do you like, dislike etc.?

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
i've had 3 taco's so far ( 96, 98, and now the 02)...im actually thinking about getting an FJ as my next rig...that or the new gen. taco.....anyone out there that used to have a taco (or still do) that now have an FJ....? Pro's Con's etc...what do you like, dislike etc.?
I'm not a FJ owner... But they are going out of production in 09 and they're very capable wheelers! That should be reason nuff. The biggest con IMO would be not having the bed to stow crap you don't want inside with you. You can put it on the roof I guess.

Every FJ owner I know loves em!

·
Registered
637 Posts
They are not pulling production on the FJ, that is no more than a rumour.

I looked at and love the FJ, the only reason I don't own one is that I wanted to have a truck bed.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I had an 01 Taco and now have a FJ. I love the FJ but there are times I miss the taco alot. I just missed the mini size the most. I have taken my FJ through and over alot that my truck wouldnt have went through. If it was between a new tacoma and FJ for wheeling they are about the same size so I think it would come down to preference of truck or FJ. I wish i would have gotten a truck just for the fact I want the bed but I get by fine with the FJ.

·
Registered
836 Posts
My wife has an '07 FJC. Most of our wheeling is done in the taco since it is setup up for offroad more than her stock FJ (see sig), but we have taken it out and stretched it's legs a little. Traction is surprisingly good (the A-Trac works!!!), and the low range feels lower than my truck (before the regear anyway). The width takes some getting used to and the interior room of the cabin makes the car feel bigger than it is, but it is really nimble and responsive. Clearance is better than I expected, and all the important stuff is pretty well tucked up high and "protected" by the flimsy piece of tin Toyota calls a skid plate. It is easier to drive than my Taco both on and off the pavement. She got the six speed so it is always in 4wd. She averages 18.5-21 MPG. With a modest lift and some more aggressive tires, the FJC could be a pretty serious froader.

The drawbacks are that it has no bed, the roof rack is not really all that well designed or functional (I would strongly suggest an All-Pro or ARB roof rack), the windows in the suicide doors need a pop-out option like an x-cab, the cabin is noisy, the back seat is only suited for the vertically challenged, and visibility is not all that great.

Her previous car was an '06 DC TRD/OR. While we never really got the chance to wheel that truck, I would pick the FJC in an off road competition over the newer Tacos without hesitation. However, when it comes to passenger comfort, amenities, and overall utility, I think the DC Taco is a better choice. When you start compairing the FJC to reg and x-cabs, you aren't really compairng apples to apples.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you buy an FJ. don't buy one fully loaded. You'll save a few grand by buying from forum members . There are always roof racks , step bars, sub woofers , wheels etc... for sale dirt cheap! Only downside to the FJ is driving with the windows down. The wind will take your head off and give you a f**king ear ache due to the fact no rear window openings unless you drive with the rear hatch glass open. I had a 99 Taco previously. It was like going from a model T to a Caddy as far as comfort goes.(even though the FJ isn't all that comfy either)

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'll have to agree with the wind directed straight toward your face with the windows down. Also the way the tailgate opens to the side can be inconveniet. the last bad thing about FJ's is that your backseat passengers can never find the door handle. Besides all that, i love FJs and wouldnt give mine up for anything else.:cool:

·
Registered
397 Posts
i'd have to agree w/all the above. i traded my 05 taco for an 08 sandstorm fj. minus the fact i hate not having my pickup bed any more, hands down i think the fj is better than my tacoma. nothin a small trailer cant fix tho.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have owned a 89 Runner a 95 Runner a 02 Ext Cab Taco and now the 07FJC, I have to say the FJ wins hands down... I do miss having the bed space, but being 6"05 the room and comfort is well worth it

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im also 6'5" nice to hear from another tall guy

·
Registered
661 Posts
i like the long wheel base in the new crew cab tacos. i know it sounds stupid, but going down really steep rutted hills is much easier. my 99 taco does crazy wheelstands when the long taco doesnt as much

1 - 13 of 13 Posts