TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much cheaper is a pre-runner than a 4x4? Isn't it just a 4x4 with no transfer case and no front diff?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mine was listed at the dealer for 18,900 and a same year 4X4 TRD was listed at 21,900 both extracabs.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
For the 98-99 models, generally about 2000 difference with equivalent trucks. From 00 on up it get higher.

·
Registered
460 Posts
just an lil extra FYI in buying a used truck the chance that the truck as been treated ruff if worse on a 4x4 than a prerunner, most ppl who run all street have prerunners and most offroads get 4x4's. i noticed when i was shoppin for my truck that 4x4s were commonly higher miles, and worse shape than prerunners and ususally still had mud under the truck that the dealer didnt get off. if u want a truck to go off road with try to find a 4x4 that hasnt been abussed but if u dont plan any or minimal offroading i would try to find a prerunner with the TRD package so u can have that rear locker, do the grey wire mod and ur set.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
98-00 prerunners are typically about $2000 to $3000 cheaper than 4x's in equivalent conditions.

Prerunners are all autos, have no front diff/transfer case, and have a -slightly- different spindle. It is actually the same but has a cap where the CV would normally go in. Oh yeah, I -think- they have a different crossmember.

Oh yeah...I dunno anout the 01-04s or the 05's but my 99 TRD doesnt need the gray wire mod. Stop-lock-go. :)

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
RENEGADE76254 said:
just an lil extra FYI in buying a used truck the chance that the truck as been treated ruff if worse on a 4x4 than a prerunner, most ppl who run all street have prerunners and most offroads get 4x4's. i noticed when i was shoppin for my truck that 4x4s were commonly higher miles, and worse shape than prerunners and ususally still had mud under the truck that the dealer didnt get off. if u want a truck to go off road with try to find a 4x4 that hasnt been abussed but if u dont plan any or minimal offroading i would try to find a prerunner with the TRD package so u can have that rear locker, do the grey wire mod and ur set.
dood your a freaking retard, you dont have to do the grey wire mod on a prerunner.

·
Registered
460 Posts
ok so i dont have a TRD and nobody tells me that the grey wire aint needed on prerunners, so i didnt know. thanks for that POLITE correction, always great to see everybody in such a good mood around here.

·
Registered
143 Posts
RENEGADE76254 said:
ok so i dont have a TRD and nobody tells me that the grey wire aint needed on prerunners, so i didnt know. thanks for that POLITE correction, always great to see everybody in such a good mood around here.
I bet you don't even have this new Deckplate mod that everyone is talking about.

·
Registered
264 Posts
RENEGADE76254 said:
Well, think about it. All the grey wire mod does is enables the locker to be engaged in 4hi and 2hi. A prerunner doesn't have a transfer case, so it only has 2hi. On a prerunner, the locker already works in 2hi.

It's cool if you didn't know what the grey wire mod did, since you don't have a locker or a 4x4. But you shouldn't be recommending modifications to people if you don't know what the mod does. That's all.

Peace.

·
Registered
460 Posts
i do know what the deckplate mod is, believe it or not. and i didnt do that mod b/c i had already removed the elbow like gadget suggested on his site.

·
Registered
143 Posts
RENEGADE76254 said:
i do know what the deckplate mod is, believe it or not. and i didnt do that mod b/c i had already removed the elbow like gadget suggested on his site.
Do you think that I really need to have an airbox? Just have all that air right there and take the whole thing out...would that give me more power and sound cooler?? :confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts