TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son's 98 2.7L regular cab 4x4 Tacoma clutch needs replacing. I'm going to get one from Toyota. What would be a good ballpark cost including labor?

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
$118 for the pressure plate, $98 for the disc, $78 for the throwout bearing, and $10 for the pilot bearing. Prices from here: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=213747

Machining the flywheel will run about $25.

Add another several hundred for labor.

I'd say under $1,000.

Oh, and this should be in Early Tacoma 4x4 Tech or Newbie Tech.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
At a Toyota dealership ?.. Near $1200 with parts... Maybe a tad less though I doubt it (Labor costs kills the fun :( )... That's near what I paid for mine... It's a 3.4 but I doubt that would make much difference... You might be able to find cheaper labor I dunno... But I was glad I paid out the butt... Because near 6 months later the pilot or throwout bearing began to make noise (again :rolleyes: ) And the 1 year warranty on labor and parts covered the repair... So in my case it was worth it... Next time around... I'm doing it myself... If the truck still lives ;) ... LOL

There isn't anyone near you that could give you a hand with the labor work... Other Members ?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm working 6 days a week, A local repair shop that has done work on other trucks for me said $550 using a Toyota clutch.

How do I move this to Early Tacoma forum?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I bought a clutch kit for my 91 Toy for 150$ and paid a neighbor 200$ and a case of beer.
Awesome job, no jittering.

·
Registered
200 Posts
This is a good price if you trust them. I looked into it once, 1200+ from the dealer and 650-700 from a shop here in Santa Cruz.

Good luck!

JW'stacoma said:
I'm working 6 days a week, A local repair shop that has done work on other trucks for me said $550 using a Toyota clutch.

How do I move this to Early Tacoma forum?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SCTaco said:
This is a good price if you trust them. I looked into it once, 1200+ from the dealer and 650-700 from a shop here in Santa Cruz.

Good luck!

Yes, I trust him he has done work on my B2 before. Carrying truck to him on 1/29

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm due for a clutch myslelf and here in NJ, I got a quote from my local dealer of $1300 on a 02 with a V6. I went to my local shop and they can do it for 900...Both quotes show the same work, clutch, plate, bearing, flywheel if needed. But the local shop said they would put in the Master Cylinder at the same time for me. (I bought it and haven't had the time to replace it, my inital problem was the salve cylinder so I never put in the master). Anyway, I personally am going to try the local shop out for the work. Clutches are not that hard just time consuming and the fact that he'll put in the MC for me too....I'd say try your local guy out! Dealers are over-rated for this kind of work. I will admint I did the timing belt at the dealer but I think that's a harder job...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Just buy your son a book and let him go at it himself. I did my clutch on my 88 when I was 16. Plus its a whole hell of alot cheaper,and relley not that hard.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just buy your son a book and let him go at it himself. I did my clutch on my 88 when I was 16. Plus its a whole hell of alot cheaper,and relley not that hard.
X2 on this one. When I was 17, the clutch needed replacing in my 1980 CJ-7. I bought a book and did it myself. Was not really that hard, and it way waaaaaay cheaper than having a local shop do it. Plus it was a good learning experience. It gave me the confidence to know that I could probably tackle most repairs myself.

·
Registered
125 Posts
be careful of shops that say toyota compatible clutches, some shops forget the word "compatible" all together so you think ur gettin toyota parts but its really o.e.m compatible crap! just make sure ur getting what you want. and perfection clutches are good imo, the last one i bought came with a lifetime warranty as long as u replaced the flywheel too (kragen)

oh and this was on the complete kit, fyi

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
My son's 98 2.7L regular cab 4x4 Tacoma clutch needs replacing. I'm going to get one from Toyota. What would be a good ballpark cost including labor?
when i took my 99 v6 to the dealer 2.5 years ago i paid right at 2k

did it myself the next time for around 600-700 and that includes renting the transmission jack and new flywheel, slave and master cylinders

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
12 Participants
95tacocrew
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing