TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1999 tacoma prerunner that has 153k on the engine i barely bought it has a problem when it hits around 4200rpm it won't go past it its like my fuel cuts off on like a speed limiter but it didn't do this before..i need help anyone know wat it is or how to fix it?

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
It's call a built in speed control. It keeps you from getting a speeding ticket? Be glad you have it.
Don't you wish you posted in Newbie Tech. :flamethro :newbie:

·
Registered
779 Posts
i think you might need to shift or hit teh skinnnnnnny pedal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do its have a special button for the speed control? sorry for me posting right here i didn't know if it was a engine problem. oh and i did do a lot of searching

·
Registered
76 Posts
i have a 1999 tacoma prerunner that has 153k on the engine i barely bought it has a problem when it hits around 4200rpm it won't go past it its like my fuel cuts off on like a speed limiter but it didn't do this before..i need help anyone know wat it is or how to fix it?
if your free reving it(in neutral or park) it's just the revlimiter kicking in, it won't do that when your driving down the road, if thats the case then you may have a cat problem or so on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this actually happens when im driving in the road or highway, it wont go past 4200rpm like if it was the redline

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
There are two limits programmed into the ECU, speed and RPM. The RPM limit on a 3.4L is at something like 5.2K RPM while the speed limit is something over a hundred MPH like 105 or so.

I don't know what engine you have or how fast you're trying to go at 4200 RPM because of unknown tire size, tranny, gears etc. but my guess is that you're hitting the speed limiter.

Remember you're driving a truck with a relatively high CG and a vehicle that can possibly have a load in the bed, not a race car. The factory figures we don't have any business going that fast in it and I never did either. If you want speed, get a go fast car.

If you just want to kill yourself, a bullet is faster, more efficient and doesn't mess up the freeways for everyone else. There are other ways if you don't have a gun. Let me know if you need any further assistance in this area. LOL

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well its not the limiter i can tell you that, its the v6 and it does this when where trying to pass a car like for example going 55mph and we step on it to go to 65mph it hits 4200rpm and it stays there the fuel is like cuting on and off and it doesn't change to the next gear unless,, we let the gas pedal off and then step on it slowly and it never hits 4200 rpm cause it changes gear this is the only way it works

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
OK so now that that's out of the way you can start looking at things like dirty MAF, bad O2 sensor, clogged cat. Etc. Maybe a plugged fuel filter. What and when have you serviced anything? Air cleaner, plugs, fuel filter, etc. etc. Have you looked under the hood at all?

Got any test equipement and know how to use it? Vacuum gauge, DVM etc.?

Of course you could have something bad in the tranny since it sounds like you have an auto. When is the last time you changed the tranny fluid?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i just clean air filter, and it was service like a week ago according to the ex-owner but we took the fuel filter off and were checking it right now

·
Registered
324 Posts
lack of a tune up doesn't usually cause the engine to cut out at 4200. maybe a fuel pump? has it ever stalled when idleing or just not started or is it doing it more frequintly? also if its an auto tranny there may be something wrong with it and the computer wont let it rev, sort of a limp mode. go to advanced auto and use an obd scanner to see if there is a code.

·
Registered
324 Posts
if you take off in 1st will is still bog down at 4200 before shifting to 2nd?

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
If it were pitching a code the CE light would be illuminated, assuming it's OK of course.

For bogging down like that you want to check that the intake and exhaust are clear and that the fuel system is OK. Even a bad alternator/battery will do that. The ECU will run the engine down to a system voltage of 8.5V or so. As the voltage drops the max RPM and avaliable engine out put drops with it.

Even a shakey ECU ground can do it. It's the same as a low power source. The ECU ground is the black wires bolted to the intake manifold adjacent to the underhood diagonistic plug. It might be a good idea to pull the bolt, clean it up and tighten the bolt up. A long shot I know but it's a possability and can't hurt.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Replace your plugs and wires; use Toyota OEM for best results; especially the plugs

Make sure the rubber tube on the coil going to the spark plugs are squeaky clean. Put some break cleaner on a rag and clean them good. Make sure there's no contaminants in the sparkplugs tubes (inside the head)

Wouldn't hurt to clean your Mass Air Flow sensor...

What you are describing sounds the same as a 4 runner I was working on a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well its not the spark plugs there brand new, and the wires were also replace and i check them they look in good condition... its there any way it could be the time belt?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts