TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I recently had new 4.56 gears installed in my 2004 TRD Tacoma 4x4. It previously had stock 4.10s.
I was visiting friends in Colorado and had a local 4x4 shop in Durango do the install. They used Yukon ring and pinions and Timkin bearings w/ the master install kits ordered from Randy's R&P.
Upon picking up the truck, the owner/mechanic told me that the install went fine but that rear was noisy and that I would hear the new gears while driving. He said that they called Randy's and that they told him something along the ines of -- there is not a true 4.56 for the tacoma e-locker rear and that the gears that are used are going to make some noise. He said they got a good pattern during the install and that basically I was going to have to live with it.
The gears whine (sound kind of like hair clippers) with light pedal pressure and when coasting at slow speeds, like in a parking lot or gas station. They sound like a washing machine on spin cycle.
I called Randy's to see if what the mechanic told me was true, but I kind of got the run around. The guy on the phone said he would pass the issue on to his tech guy and contact the dealer rep for that area and then contact the shop that did the work. They said they can't promise to contact me because I didn't actually purchase the gear set from them. Needless to say, I never heard from them. When I called them back, I got the same story.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone who is familiar w/ gear installs has experienced a similar noise and if what they told me about it being inherently noisy is true.
I did a number of searches on this site and other sites concerning gears and diffs but haven't really found anything that says whether the tacoma is going to make noises after a new gear set. The info I found makes it seem like the backlash or something is messed up even though the mechanic said they are good. I pretty much feel like I got screwed and spent a lot of money on something that is fucked up and will have to be redone.

Sorry for the ridiculously long explanation.

Also, the rear yoke was replaced by a new one when the gears where installed.

Thanks,
-J

·
Registered
370 Posts
J---That noise does not sound right....sometimes a Richmond gear comes in the Yukon boxes and the pattern on those seem to always favor the toe(inside) of the ring tooth. This causes more of a whistle sound. But the sound you describe is not right.
Send it to me and I will diagnose it and repair it free...you will have a good install when I get done with it.....you just cover the Fedex ground both ways. My turnaround is fast. Most likely I will do a link of the issue...I prefer not to mention the exact shops involved though. ZUK

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
I would have to say they are jerking you around. I have never heard of gears making noise unless they were not setup right. I wouldn't stand for that kind of crap! How are they not true 4.56's wtf else would they be?!

I guess my 4.10's, 4.30's, 4.56's, and 5.29's are not true gear ratio's either...

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
J---That noise does not sound right....sometimes a Richmond gear comes in the Yukon boxes and the pattern on those seem to always favor the toe(inside) of the ring tooth. This causes more of a whistle sound. But the sound you describe is not right.
Send it to me and I will diagnose it and repair it free...you will have a good install when I get done with it.....you just cover the Fedex ground both ways. My turnaround is fast. Most likely I will do a link of the issue...I prefer not to mention the exact shops involved though. ZUK
WOW! Quality people right there!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Let Zuk, take a look at them. Hes the man with gears.....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really?? That's awesome! Should I contact you via email to make arrangement?
It's my daily driver so I'll need to make a few plans. What's the best way to pack them for shipping? I think I have a 5 gal bucket w/ a lid that I could put it in.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have set up countless gearsets. I am Toyota / Lexus certified and an ASE master tech w/ L1 for 14 yrs. If the gears are whinning the drive and coast pattern is wrong. No questions the gears are set up wrong and will prematurely fail. I would not settle for "you will have to live with it"...Thats B.S....Thats my:2cents:

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
Damn!

You rock!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info everyone. This is the first time I have had new gears installed....if I had known better I would have made a bigger deal of it. Unfortunately, now I am back home in Florida. This was definitely a lesson learned. I'm shipping the diff off to Zuk to have him check it out then I'll definitely be contacting the shop in Durango to let them know how they screwed up.
Much thanks to Zuk for his help!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Wonder if there is an Outback in Zuk's neighborhood ???;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
hahaha:D ya there is but I don't care for that place. This will be kinda fun to do. I will make a nice link of it....on my main page it will be titled something like maybe "...they said I was going to have to live with it" :D I'm gonna upgrade to the solid collar....and I bet what I find is that the "4cyl gears" they used have the wrong pinion shim.....they probably tried to use .080 and really needed to use .235" ....just a hunch. By the way, nothing wrong with using 4 cyl gears in an E-Locker that originally came with "V6 gears"....I prefer the 4 cyl gears myself ;) no strength issues if installed right of course.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Can a solid spacer be installed in the pinion without taking the diff out of the axle? I am assuming that this would require a re-setup of the pinion and gear lash so the whole thing would have to come out.

The reason I ask is that you were saying in another thread that eventually that crush sleave loses its pre-load and this causes the lash to change and the gears will eventually fail. What kind of design is that? Seems like if thats true all the Tacoma diffs would be failing left and right about now.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Can a solid spacer be installed in the pinion without taking the diff out of the axle? I am assuming that this would require a re-setup of the pinion and gear lash so the whole thing would have to come out.

The reason I ask is that you were saying in another thread that eventually that crush sleave loses its pre-load and this causes the lash to change and the gears will eventually fail. What kind of design is that? Seems like if thats true all the Tacoma diffs would be failing left and right about now.
It tends to happen.....especially under large torque loads the crush sleeve will feel the compression effect. This is why it's not the best idea to have a crush design in a real dragster type of funny car. Obviously, an automatic tranny is not going to induce the "torque spikes" that a 5 speed would tend to. So crush sleeves last longer in autos.
Upgrading to a solid collar is "involved"....it requires basically a complete teardown. The case is removed from the carrier...etc.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Seems like theoretically you could mic the crush sleeve and start out damn close to proper preload with a spacer and shims to match that measurement- pinion preload is what, 10-15in/lbs? Whats that 5 in/lb's translate to as far as a range for shim thicknesses? Or is it too complicated to figure because of used bearings, etc.

·
Registered
260 Posts
And this is why my gears are going to ZUK when I get the money. 4:88's.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Ive got an auto. trans. (yeah) and a crawler... (boo). Oh well, I just had it regeared so if it blows up I will fix it.

Another hi-jack, what would happen if someone installed an ARB locker in the front IFS diff and didnt replace the crush collar. He said that he didnt have to mess with the pinion and didnt need to remove the old one. Just replaced the carrier bearings... Sound right? Seems to work so far.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,420 Posts
Another hi-jack, what would happen if someone installed an ARB locker in the front IFS diff and didnt replace the crush collar. He said that he didnt have to mess with the pinion and didnt need to remove the old one. Just replaced the carrier bearings... Sound right? Seems to work so far.
That is certainly possible since the front case splits in half and the carrier comes right out. The pinion stays with the right half of the case. You could just swap the ring gear over to the ARB carrier, re-shim the carrier and re-install. You would definately want to check the pattern and backlash, but if they are in spec, then your good to go.

·
Registered
102 Posts

this is bad ass!!!!!! im very impressed with this answer and help!!!
looks like someone just got another customer!!!!!!!!!
ill be sending my gears shortly

·
Registered
70 Posts
All of the stock gear sets I have installed I used a crush sleeve which is plenty good enough. But if you are going to abuse them you should be using a solid pinion spacer. I have seen a few pinions sucked in and during disassembly 9 times out of 10 a crush sleeve was used in a racing or severe offroad application...food for thought. Speaking of food Zuk...Your alright Zuk you seem like a stand up guy. I don't care for Outback either I just came to mind of being a good place to start.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
That is certainly possible since the front case splits in half and the carrier comes right out. The pinion stays with the right half of the case. You could just swap the ring gear over to the ARB carrier, re-shim the carrier and re-install. You would definately want to check the pattern and backlash, but if they are in spec, then your good to go.
Yes, thats pretty much what the guy said too. I was just double checking since he had a full master install kit and only used the carrier bearings and paste.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts