TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 4X4 with 167,000 miles. Sometime last week I notice that everytime I come to a complete stop I had a hard time engaging 1st ( actually any gear ). It doesnt happen if Im still rolling and try to pic up a gear; 1st ,2nd,..... Nor does it happen at normal highway speeds. ( 5 -85 )
I also noticed that I never have this problem in the mourning when the engine/tranny is cool.
I was doing a little research and this is what I came up as the possible problems;
1 the slave cylinder is going out.
2 air in the line/system.
3 the springs on the pressure plate are old and getting weak. when they heat up they get soft and do not function properly. I guess the clutch is not dis engaging fully.
Does anyone know or have any suggestion as to what it may be?

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Same thing happened to mine a few months back. i had around 110,000 miles. I couldnt get it into 1st, and 2nd was even a struggle. I took it to Toyota and they said the slave cylinder was dead, so i had a new one installed and everything was resolved... Hopefully this was a help to ya

·
Registered
339 Posts
I can't spell right now and I'm too lazy to look it up.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,421 Posts
I'd probably agree with the clutch slave or master cylinder going bad. Easy way to check is to put the transmission in 1st, clutch in and slowly shift the transfer into 4wd. If you feel some grinding, then your clutch isn't fully disengaging.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My 1992 did exactly what you are describing. I went throught and checked out the master, slave, bleeding, fluid replacement, pedal adjustment etc. It was none of the above. The truck had 6 weeks earlier had a brand new clutch, pressure plate, resurfaced flywheel etc.

The problem started imediately after a friend had borrowed the truck for 2 weeks. Hmmmm.

New clutch and pressure place fixed the problem. I did not resurface the flywheel again. The first clutch was OEM. The second clutch was NAPA because of time.

Good luck with this one. It sucks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sloth said:
Could be your synchros too.
I doubt you would lose all the synchros at one time.

Sounds like you aren't getting full motion from the pedal. Suspect the slave cylinder.

To check for a worn clutch you can always do this.
Put the car in 2nd, do about 20mph then floor it. If the car reacts normal then your clutch is good, if the revs jump up, come back down and then go back up(slip) then it's a bad clutch.

HTH,

Jason

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
vdubspeed said:
I doubt you would lose all the synchros at one time.

Sounds like you aren't getting full motion from the pedal. Suspect the slave cylinder.

To check for a worn clutch you can always do this.
Put the car in 2nd, do about 20mph then floor it. If the car reacts normal then your clutch is good, if the revs jump up, come back down and then go back up(slip) then it's a bad clutch.

HTH,

Jason

I did the test you stated above and it didnt slip.
I also notice that if I depress the clutch release fast and hard it helps to shift. The clutch is definetly not releasing all the way.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ShowStop said:
I'd probably agree with the clutch slave or master cylinder going bad. Easy way to check is to put the transmission in 1st, clutch in and slowly shift the transfer into 4wd. If you feel some grinding, then your clutch isn't fully disengaging.

Ok I will go try it. thanks

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I may be green but is that early or typical for when slave cylinders go out?
I actually have no clue,:confused: i brought it into Toyota, and that is what they guessed first off, so it must not have been too far off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts