TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's me again, the know nothing offroad fanatic. I've looked into converting my truck to 4 wheel drive and know what parts I need to do so. However, I have no mechanical experience with any vehicle other than oil changes and tune ups. I don't feel comfortable gutting my daily driver and only vehicle for the slight chance that I will do this job right. So what is a fair price for a shop to do the installation. The truck is and 02 double cab prerunner TRD. I'm not talking about a straight axle swap, but a mere 4x4 conversion. From what you guys have posted, I understand that if I only use 2002 4x4 parts that everything will bolt right in. If this is true, install should not be extremely pricey and it may even be possible for me to do it. Let me know what you guys think.
-Matt

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion. I worked at a Toyota dealership for 2 years in the inventory department sitting next to the sales managers. They explained all the financial aspects of trading in a vehicle. At this point, if I traded my truck in I would lose thousands. So that's not an option.
-Matt

·
Registered
89 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm confused. Did either of you two buy your trucks with a loan? Because unless I paid cash for the truck I would have to take a loan from the bank. In that case the shortest loan is I think 3 years(with good credit). So instead of paying my truck off, I pay another 2 years of payments with interest on the loan. Meaning I just paid a shit load more money than I would have by just keeping my truck. And according to most of the people who have converted, it's about 1500-2000. Plus I've had my truck since it was new. It's been well maintained and stayed out of the snow. I don't want to buy someone else's problem.
-Matt

·
Registered
230 Posts
With "no mechanical experience with any vehicle other than oil changes and tune ups", I would seriously doubt your ability to convert a 2wd to a 4wd. I've installed a few suspension lifts and consider myself fairly competant (sp?) when it comes to working on vehicles, more so than spelling, anyway!

So, from your point of view of trying to save money and do this cheaper than trading your truck in or selling it, I'd say your biggest concern would be starting something you can't finish and then having to shell out the bucks to have someone either continue the project and complete it or return it back to stock just so you can drive it again. And in turn, that would cost more than trading it in or selling it in the first place.

-Adam
NMTTORA

·
Registered
12 Posts
Since your headstrung on not trading in or out right selling it for a 4x4, you should just wait till you are ready to do so. Bolt-on doesn't mean a hand rachet. You'll need the proper tools and preferably a lift to complete this job. Once you do this I hope you consider keeping it for good, not many people would then want a 4x4 conversion which was done by a lube tech if you know what I mean. You've said yourself "you" don't want something that someone may not have taken care of as well as you had. I'm not blasting you, just trying to get across that this job is probably more trouble then good, especially being done by someone who needs to ask a forum if they think they are qualified to do so. :welder: :eek:

By the way sounds like you may still have somewhat of a warranty left on this truck, if so kiss it goodby.

·
Registered
135 Posts
He is looking for an idea of the labor cost to have this done by a shop, not by himself. I have no idea how long it would take to do this conversion. Labor should run for about 65-85 bucks an hour. Any idea how long this should take if everything goes smooth?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts