TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get one of those Progressive Snapshot thingies, go crawling, send it in and see what they say. :confused:

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The insurance company has this thingy that looks like it gets plugged into the OBD2 port of vehicles and I'm guessing that it records stuff about how the vehicle is driven.

I'm guessing that if you're all mellow, you might get a better insurance rate. If not, then you don't.

I would think that the more modern vehicles with traction control and sensors for yaw and things like that would be more enlightening than, say, my 97, but to see what their reaction would be might be mildly entertaining.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Yeah I have been wanting to get one too. It is risk free, so it can only help your rate, it can't go up because of the snapshot. It does record driving styles, mainly acceleration, deceleration, and speed. There are some good articles on it out there. I am not sure how you upload the info, or get it to them. You may have to stop by an office so often for them to download it.

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just think it would be mildly amusing to see the look on an agents face if they were to see something like an average speed of 0.78 mph because it was only plugged in during a crawl session. I'm just being cheeky about the whole thing... ;-P

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I just think it would be mildly amusing to see the look on an agents face if they were to see something like an average speed of 0.78 mph because it was only plugged in during a crawl session. I'm just being cheeky about the whole thing... ;-P
I wanna get one for the opposite reason..... My truck came with crap hears and with 5.29s my speedo is like 25-30 mph off at interstate speed......

"sir you averaged 110 mph"

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
I wanna get one for the opposite reason..... My truck came with crap hears and with 5.29s my speedo is like 25-30 mph off at interstate speed......

"sir you averaged 110 mph"
my thoughts exactly. I wonder if it would even register out on the trail since they arent designated roads or anything.

·
Registered
431 Posts
My roomates have one. They're on the same policy, but only she got one - he refused. In fact, he'll unplug it if he has to drive her car for any reason. :D

edit: According to what I've read, they do not have GPS. They don't really need it for their intended purpose.
http://www.fiscalfizzle.com/2011/11/snapshot-discount-review/

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Huh, that was actually educational. Not at all what I had in mind when I posted; and that was really simply a random thought after seeing their commercial.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My buddy had one of those, he got it when he bought his new duramax this summer. The main things that it tracks are hard accelerations, hard breaking, what time of day it is driven etc. There are certain things you are not supposed to do when you have it to get the lower insurance rates.
He actually had his new truck into the dealer to get the bedliner, camper shell, etc installed. He checked the states of the tracker online and saw that who ever at the dealer was driving his truck over 100 MPH and had a bunch of hard stops and accelerations. He called the dealer on it and he ended up getting some accessories installed for free by the dealer.

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My buddy had one of those, he got it when he bought his new duramax this summer. The main things that it tracks are hard accelerations, hard breaking, what time of day it is driven etc. There are certain things you are not supposed to do when you have it to get the lower insurance rates.
He actually had his new truck into the dealer to get the bedliner, camper shell, etc installed. He checked the states of the tracker online and saw that who ever at the dealer was driving his truck over 100 MPH and had a bunch of hard stops and accelerations. He called the dealer on it and he ended up getting some accessories installed for free by the dealer.
That's funny, in a sad sorta way. Still funny that the dealer got busted for rallying a customer's vehicle. The icing on the cake would've been if the clown from the dealer got pulled over or got the vehicle impounded. It'd be interesting to hear the dealer explain that one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Actually the person got fired, it sounds like they were having problems with the employee and after that incident they let him go. My buddy was pretty pissed though (and rightfully so) because they were rallying around in his brand new $60,000 truck! I think he had like 500 miles on the truck at the time. I wonder how often that happens at dealerships, I am sure this is not an isolated incident.
The other funnly thing is that when you are breaking hard and other stuff, the little snapshot device actually beeps at you. So the person driving would have heard that, well unless he was jamming out at the same time!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts