TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my garage is filled with scrap steel, yet again. This time, I'm doing a rear bumper.

The design is pretty basic. Those of you who have seen Fondigley's rear bumper, I'm shooting for something similar, without all of the fancy metalwork. I'm going to clearance the bed, and wrap 2x4x.120 square tubing around it. I will then retrofit my current 2" receiver hitch into the bumper, along with D-rings for shackles....all the while reinforcing and gusseting the crap out of it....of course.

While I kind of kept my slider project to myself...maybe a little stubbornly... I'd like to involve TTORA in a few aspects.

First, I could probably use the help of somebody with a plasma cutter, that can cut a nice clean hole for the receiver. I might also need that to cut apart the hitch to begin with.

Second, I could use the help of somebody to clearance the bed. Preferrably, somebody that has done it before, with good results. I mean, I can hack sheetmetal.....but a hackjob isn't what I'm going for.

And now, I need some ideas for how to tie into the frame, with bolts to make it removable.

This project is in the future, so don't expect to see progress pics for a little bit. I just ordered a body lift that needs to go on first.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
kyle, if you have access to a program like solidworks or catia I have a few bumper designs exactly like that done up already because thats the design Ive wanted to go with for a while, I just dont have any $$ for scrap steel until a few other projects are done. Id love to help with it but dont have any of the tools you might need. let me know if you do want some extra hands or some designs.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have those programs, unfortunately. As far as the bumper goes, I don't need a whole lot of design work, other that the way I tie it into the frame. It's pretty much just going to be square tubing with 90 degree angles, and somewhat of a hypotenuse on the inside to strengthen the sides. I'll do my 45 degree cut and cap like I did on my sliders to the ends.

If you'd like, you can absolutely help out with the bed clearancing and such. Maybe Nate can help out, and we can get a TTORA members without the privelage of (legally) drinking party going. Haha.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
I don't have those programs, unfortunately. As far as the bumper goes, I don't need a whole lot of design work, other that the way I tie it into the frame. It's pretty much just going to be square tubing with 90 degree angles, and somewhat of a hypotenuse on the inside to strengthen the sides. I'll do my 45 degree cut and cap like I did on my sliders to the ends.

If you'd like, you can absolutely help out with the bed clearancing and such. Maybe Nate can help out, and we can get a TTORA members without the privelage of (legally) drinking party going. Haha.
sounds like a sweet idea! any chance you have extra 2x4 and we could make two bumpers and clearanced beds:D

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got 16 ft....It's likely.... Let me take some measurements. I might have to get some more scrap, just for the mounts, but I think we could do it.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
If you cannot get the plasma cutter (which would certainly be the best way) I did my reciever with a cut off wheel on a 4.5" grinder. It worked really well, and is very strong, you just have to weld a little more, but not much. Its very easy.

Second thing: Do you have a hitch currently? If so, that is a GREAT starting point for the bumper mounts. They are designed to take a lot of weight, so you can cut the mounts off, so that they don't hang down below the bumper, and then tie your bumper into those. The bonus is that they are already custom cut for your frame, so its just a matter of attaching the bumper. Super easy.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I want to do something very similar to your bumper. That's where I came up with the idea for the receiver inside a 2x4 square tubing.

Good idea, with the hitch mounts... I'll have to get under there and see how that would work.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Id love to join in and see some of this hacking. Im debating the same type of wrap around simple sheet steel bumper... clearanced. Sure would be nice to see it happen first.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
I've got 16 ft....It's likely.... Let me take some measurements. I might have to get some more scrap, just for the mounts, but I think we could do it.
if you have some extra for one for me id even pay you for it:eek: then we could build yours first to make all the mistakes on it, learn from those and make one that looks better and is a lot stronger for me :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
why not just build a half a dozen or so huh guys...lol

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if you have some extra for one for me id even pay you for it:eek: then we could build yours first to make all the mistakes on it, learn from those and make one that looks better and is a lot stronger for me :D
Lol I hoped that you would toss a couple bucks my way for it. I bought too much and I was going to have to sell some back. But I won't screw you over. Honestly, I paid a little more for this stuff than I did for the sliders... About $5 a foot. 8ft is $40, but also there's welding rods, and the other materials to mount everything, so I would call $40 fair... Less than I'm paying for the same thing for sure.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
why not just build a half a dozen or so huh guys...lol
Hell, I would do it. If enough people trusted me to weld and fab their shit, I'd quit my job and go into business... I'm pretty new to the whole fabrication thing though, so I don't think that's going to happen. Plus when people find out they paid a 17 year old kid to build them a bumper, they probably wouldn't feel too great about it. If these things turn out nice, hell yes I'll do more for anybody that wants one, though.

·
Registered
393 Posts
kyle, if you have access to a program like solidworks or catia I have a few bumper designs exactly like that done up already because thats the design Ive wanted to go with for a while, I just dont have any $$ for scrap steel until a few other projects are done. Id love to help with it but dont have any of the tools you might need. let me know if you do want some extra hands or some designs.
I have both CATIA and Solidworks at home, and could be of assistance in this area. Let me now how I can help. I have been tossing around the idea of deisgning a set of bumpers for my truck as well.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I took my hitch and rear bumper off....it is looking SOOO badass, with some more clearance in the rear. And the weight off of my poor soft rear springs really boosted it up too. I almost want to chop the bedsides tonight.... but nahh....maybe soon. Nate and Jay, what are you doing tomorrow? Wanna chop some bedsides? Haha...

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jay, if you happen to see this:

Nate and I have a tentative plan to chop the bedsides Monday, after 5...

And not just Jay, anybody can come, if they wish.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
keep in mind, this will only be a clearance cut project, should go quick and easy (it'll be done in less than an hour). Kyle, how do you plan to set it up? What all do you want cut off? Can you get 2 pics up of your truck.

A side pic of the bed, with a line where you want it cut.
And a rear shot with a line where you want it cut, i want to get an idea as to how much you want off and such.

Nate is officially done bed bobbing after I get the body work on Russell's bed/cab done, from here on out I'll stand by, and give directions, maybe a helping hand here and there lol.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Im working monday 2-close which at this point is an undetermined hour. this weekend is pretty hectic for me. but if you guys can push it to tuesday @ 6ish I could make that for sure. or thursday...but im home alone then, yall could come up and party

·
Registered
68 Posts
If anyone needs pics of rear bumpers I have a folder or two with about 200+pics :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Im working monday 2-close which at this point is an undetermined hour. this weekend is pretty hectic for me. but if you guys can push it to tuesday @ 6ish I could make that for sure. or thursday...but im home alone then, yall could come up and party
Pull your rear bumper. Then we can maybe reschedule, and do 2 at once...

And Thursday is my very last day of school....I could justify some celebration....haha

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
No mid-week party for me... im unfortunately stuck working monday-friday 8-5.

We could do it tuesday around 6:30 if you'd be able to get your rear bumper removed jay, and if kyle would still be available then?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts