TTORA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I could do Tuesday.... I was actually going to head up to Kelly Flats (bumperless :eek:) on Monday, so that gives me less of a time crunch.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
PM sent. Anybody else that wants to drop by is welcome to also. Let me know. You can also call me at 303-941-0530

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm at it again....with a ton of new dents in the bed and tailgate, with the lack of a rear bumper for about a month now....

I finally started fabbing up some mounts. I cut apart the hitch that has about a 4" drop to it. I cut the frame mounting portion off, flipped it over, and welded it back on, to make it a rise rather than a drop. Then, I removed the massive gusset, ground the 1/4" plate down smooth, and cut a 2"x4" "cradle", if you will....for the square tubing. A trip to the hardware store, and I can set 2x4 square tubing on the rear of my truck, right where I want it. I'm fine tuning the placement using oval holes for the depth, and washers for the height. As soon as that's set, I will have a mounting system, and can get started making the actual bumper. Pics coming very soon.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
sweet, congrats

i just finished up my bumper last night!

did all of the body work/prep work today after work (just got home)

and im going in at about 6:30 tomorrow morning to paint my bed/bumper :cool:

·
7,735 Posts
Right on man.. but hell, I'm sittin here trying to picture what you're doing and came up with something that looks like a wing on the back of a ricer (no offense Nate).

:worthless:

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Right on man.. but hell, I'm sittin here trying to picture what you're doing and came up with something that looks like a wing on the back of a ricer (no offense Nate).

:worthless:
its ok doug

my civic retains all of its FACTORY OEM spec body panels, and it'll forever stay that way :cool:

prime example ;)
http://users.4x4wh.com/4x4master/Hondar/1-26-08/8.jpg

I'll have pics of my truck tomorrow :)

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ok, here's the pics:

Here you can see the hitch cut apart. From left to right: Lopped off side, 1 finished mount, and remenants of the hitch, that I will have to cut apart later

Close up of the final product:

How they work:

Here it is tacked up on the truck:

I tacked up the the license plate real quick, just because I had to run an errand, and didn't feel like getting pulled over....I'll cut it off and do it right later...

And my dog, just because he was standing there during the photoshoot....

·
7,735 Posts
Ah, now it makes sense. Great work. I like the creative use of the old hitch.

BTW Nate, that's the exact color of orange I was talking about. Would love to have my 85 painted that color some day... you know.. when it actually runs.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Have the actual bumper built! :woot:

Now I just need to build my secondary mounts for the sides...weld on D-rings, a receiver, a license plate mount, and contemplating a hi-lift mount. After that, primer and paint, then bolt it back on! It's turning out GREAT

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Here's what I got done today:

I have some more grinding to do to make it look the way I want....but that's pretty much the shape it will be.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Here it is on the truck:

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
damn that looks good kyle! im gettin my steel monday and should be able to make some measurements and cuts during the week but im still without a welder. I think I can get everything cut to my satisfaction and weld it all together at a later time (asap)

btw, has your tailgate always been smashed in at the bottom?

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
watch it, your bed moves A LOT, mines spaced quite a bit more then that and every once in awhile i still hear it smack my bumper. Also, with your bumper that close to the bed, the tailgate is going to rub when you open it.

Looks good though

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
watch it, your bed moves A LOT, mines spaced quite a bit more then that and every once in awhile i still hear it smack my bumper. Also, with your bumper that close to the bed, the tailgate is going to rub when you open it.

Looks good though
Thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in mind. Fortunately, I can still space it downward if I need...

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Do we have the next Armorology on our hands? ;) Looks good! As Nate said, I would allow a bit more room for bed flex, but it looks great the way it sits.

·
7,735 Posts

Looks good though
?? My bentup bumper sits damn close to my bed with _just_ enough room to let the tailgate swing down. I haven't had many issues with the bed moving, but I have had my bumper slip in it's mounts slightly and make contact after some really hard hits.

I don't think you have a body lift (tho kyle does), could that be contributing to your bed movement?

21 - 40 of 49 Posts