TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 481 Posts

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It may take me a year or two to complete.....but im starting the :saw: :welder: thread .......... the :saw: :welder: thread for what? well when i post pics tomorrow......you'll understand. Be afraid.........be vvveeerrrryyy afraid........cause i know i am.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
time frame: next summer i plan on the welding to start (optimistically), i should have the parts collected by then.

I just pm'd Wyatt for his advice........leafs would be easier, but i want to do it right and with a 3-link (with panhard) already done, im thinking it would help to follow in their footsteps, im not going to re-invent the wheel here, so to start with....all the credit goes to Wyatt for doing it first. That being said.........i forsee me copying ALOT of what they did.

·
Registered
312 Posts
as far as buying parts you won't find a better deal than you Local Advance-Auto Parts.........I'll take care of that part.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
updates are in order.....

axle is 50% cleaned up (counting rust-busting and pulled apart for parts cleanup) and is disassembled down to the spindles, i borrowed an air hammer from a buddy in town....maybe i can use Jason's air compressor next weekend.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
updates are in order.......

spring perch and shock mounts have been cut off, axle is cleaned and primered all the way out to the knuckles. After the holiday, spindles come off and by the end of the month i should be putting in the Superior 4340 Axles and.......if i can afford it....CTM crosses.

and oh yeah, Jason.....i toasted your grinder so i got you the newer version. :D

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
I see you are going with only the "good stuff", excellent!

oh and if you build your own brackets as I did, expect to go through a couple more grinders!

where did you find the CTM's? and pm me the price if you don't mind.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just checked online jeep university and they say that the d44 80-91 years were 62.5" WMS. Ill go home and compare to what my rear is after work today.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
I can't remember the price, but check out that Sunfire offroad. They provided a gift certificate for our Xmas raffle. They are also the place I got my chromoly shafts from. I think he might have a better price but can't be certain. Might also mention TTORA. I am not sure but I think he said something about possibly offering a discount.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
another thing I was thinking is with the first generation Tacos going SAS, a lot of the guys use wheel spacers in the rear to match the foot print of the rear up with the new waggy axle they put under the front, as the waggy axle was wider to begin with.

I on the other hand did not bother with it as I figured once I put the 37's on it would not matter, in which I was right.

My point though is with the newer generation tacos, the waggy axle maybe more of a better fit than with the first generation.

I understand Todd saying the issue may be with the coil/link set up but I think with a little bit of care the axle Brian already has can be worked in, under the truck.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
I can't say for a fact that I gained turning radius after putting my axle on. but I do know that after putting my hydro assist ram on, I did. Which I thought very strange since I went with trail gears 6" ram instead of the conventional 8" ram most everyone else is using.

Before putting the ram on I did not rub the frame, now I rub the frame if I am not careful with the 6" ram.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
im inclined to think that with a worst case scenario of 3" spacers in front (making the wms 65.5") it would be ok. As my truck sits now i have a 3" to play with in the back (2 x 1.5" spacers) i just need to stop being lazy and measure the back axle already. As fas as getting the ride height down, im thinking of going conservative on the coilovers (height wise) and soft on the spring rates.

·
Registered
312 Posts
i went back thru one of the articles on the Demello truck, when 4wdTO asked him if he would change anything he said Currie was going to building a set of custom 70" axles for it. so that would lead me to believe his at least a couple inches under on each side, maybe somewhere around 64"-65" mark.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
will do. next up is taking a air chisel to the spindles.....20+ years of rust has made them a biyach to get off.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
just measured....05+ Taco rear WMS is.......65". so with the 1.5" spacers in front.....the front d44 which is 62.5" WMS will become......65.5"

in otherwords...it'll fit. So, now....onto the next order of business. (the spindles)

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Spindles came off with the use of an air chisel and a dead blow hammer.......and some Shiner. :D Thanks Dustin and Jason!

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
heh heh......heh heh heh heh.................i just checked the number on my d44 on a list on Pirate.......heh heh..............its a widetrack d44

81-85 J10 J20 Widetrack Cher.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
I believe the owners name is Steve. He has a guy working there that actually is a member of ours. but I haven't seen him on the board lately.

Talk to the owner before deciding, I think he gave me my shafts at jobber cost, which should still be cheaper than what Randy's advertises as well.

1 - 20 of 481 Posts
About this Discussion
480 Replies
26 Participants
NwiTACO
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing