TTORA Forum banner

Project "Red Lux" 85 Ext Cab EFI 4x4

75K views 685 replies 50 participants last post by  Boomtacoma01 
#1 · (Edited)
I bought a rig this past weekend for a Trail/DD duty as a B-Day present to myself. I am shooting to have this thing done within a year or so.

Here are some pics:

The Good:

22RE
R151F Transmission
23 Spline Single TC with Marlin 4.7's
Allpro Dual TC Skid
Marlin Rear Bumper
33/10.50/15 BFG KM's on FJ60 wheels w/ full size matching spare + extra wheel
interior pretty good for 25 years old
Got 20 mpg on the first tank of gas

The not so Good:

probably needs a knuckle rebuild
little bondo work on pass bed
a little rust on drivers side bed
AC has a little leak somewhere
a little hail damage on hood
Fuel guage shows 1/2 full on a full tank
possible Vaccum leak/ rough idle

The plan :

529's
Lockers (Detroit and Aussie probably)
Longfields
Dual Cases with twin sticks
Ranchos on the front with Sky's Hanger kit
63's on the rear with Sky's 63" kit
37's
Hi Steer
Winch bumper
Sliders
Bed bob
Fix a little of the bondo/rust
maybe a paint job

All input/help is appreciated

See less See more
#67 ·
Chris looks like you have a fine parts list growing. Want to sell the taco leafs you have laying around? I need the bottom leafs so I can finally remove the overload from my stock rear pack.

Edit: Dont forget to upgrade your brakes while you have your front end apart. v6 IFS calipers, Land Cruiser vented disks, extended brake lines, FJ-80 brake master cylinder, dual diaphram booster, etc., etc.

The parts list never stops.

#68 ·
Thanks. The brake upgrade will happen after I get this rig a rollin. It has new pads and brake lines already. Its deffinately on the list; just on the bottom of it.

Sure man I havent for got about you. I just want to keep the AAL out of them for my dads suspension woes.

PM me your number and we can set something up

#69 ·
Got the Bumper Frame Brace in fro FROR today.

The 529's from Davez and the Skys Offroad bracketry should be in this week as well.

#80 ·
Im trying :)

Still need to find some wheels and tires. I have a lead on some 17" wheels just need to find some rubber for them.

#83 ·
Allright, just LMK. I also have the spacers you'd need up front to run these w/ an effective BS of 3"

#85 ·
So I have been in denver all week for work. Still at the airport matter of factly due to delays. 529's are getting installed in my HP and V-6 3rd's along with a Detroit in the rear. A little progress at least.

I plan on working on the front end this coming weekend.
Ill probably get started off first with the FROR bumper stiffener getting burnt in this week sometime.

I need to stop working so f'n much.

#86 ·
i think i finally decided on a set of tires.

cooper stt with armor tek in a 37 1250 17

i think they look good and have pretty good reviews and at about 260 each the price is pretty good too.

#87 ·
Apparently I am a moron.....

I suspected a vaccum leak under the hood and proceeded to install some new vac lines. Then the truck wouldnt start. I hadnt been run in a while so I jumped it off. Fired up fine. I let it idle there for a little while and then decided to run it down to the gas station and charge up the battery a little bit. It ran fine there and back untill I pulled into my apt gate. Then it died as soon as I pushed the clutch in to downshift into first. It ran good up till I tried to park and it died again as soon as the rpms dropped below 1000. I checked all the vac lines to make sure nothing came loose all were still secure. One of the lines from the intake that goes to the steering pump was collased flat so I put the original one back on figuring that was the problem. It wasnt. Then I noticed the EGR hose was cracked so I replaced it as well. Still not fixed. It starts up fine but dies after you take your foot off the gas.

Any suggestions? I need to get this fixed. Come on all the 22RE experts. All suggestions are appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.