TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 504 Posts

·
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday began with a 2 1/2" hr. drive to Avon, IN to see the Bear! The day began by removing the stock driver door of the truck:

Since the striker assembly was already made up, we started by making the hinge plates. Then all we had to do was fill in between!

After filling the tube with wet sand, the first bends were made in the lower tube, and was test fit, and then cut to length:

Removing the sand from the tube doesn't look so pretty:

Berry welding up the first mounting (hinge) plate!

Next came the top tube, then the verticals:

Then the tube door was removed, and Berry finished welding it up!

Not bad for a days work!

You can't tell by the pictures, but the top bar has about a 2" kick-out which clears the rear doors.

Re-mounted the stock door, cleaned up, loaded up, and drove back home!

Next up, the passenger door! (Hopefully a few nights this week will take care of this!) :D

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
And believe it or not all the bends were made with a harbor freight "kinker"!

Bryan ("Y") spent a little while "modifying the 1 inch die for the "kinker" which made a world of difference in the bends for the upper bar.

And for all you neigh sayers thinking "not much was done for a days worth of work"…we never planned on getting more than one door done that day. Mark wanted to (wisely) take the time and make sure everything fit as it should have.

Making "tubes" for an 05 is treading untested waters. the idea for Saturday was to get the tubes bent up so that he could mock up the rest of the bends for the remaining doors. And that was accomplished mid afternoon when we stenciled the bends onto paper so he can now bend the tubes at home.

Overall the day was productive and possibly we got more done than planned. The drivers door just needs some spit and polish and it is finished.

Now Mark the important question…you painting them and if so, which color or leaving the raw? :D (welds are too ugly for raw in my opinion. :mad: Not sure what was going on with the breakers, but they are going to be replaced soon!

If you prefer, you can come down another weekend if you like and I am sure we can get at least two doors done then ;)

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Not giving away any secretes but…

Mark came up with a great latch system for his doors, Probably the best latch I have seen in any tube door!

So much, I think I have decided to steal this idea and make me a set, which before this project was never a consideration. But the latches sold me!

I can't wait to see what he comes up with for quick disconnects for all the electrical, he was speaking about some good ideas while building so that too should be done very well

·
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah almost forgot, much thanks to "y" for coming out and helping as well! The modified die helped alot! I am going to stick with the murdered out look and just paint them black. I am going to do some grinding tonight and hopefully get it primed! Thanks again to all who helped! (And Mama Bear for the grub :D)

Next up, design the rear doors...see how much the can flex's without the front doors!

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
as you discussed, that should be a concern with the quad cabs. without any doors I suspect the cab will want to flex a bit.

You might have to consider frame plates which is an option I am not sure you have thought about yet or not.

I think if you welded in plates between the cab and bed, make them 2.5' long, it would prevent the excessive flex. But I also think it might effect the ride quality a bit though.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
I haven't been on the main board yet, I am guessing you posted it up there as well?

If so, are you "advertising" or "advising" :D

whats everyone saying?

·
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't been on the main board yet, I am guessing you posted it up there as well?

If so, are you "advertising" or "advising" :D

whats everyone saying?
"How much for a pair?"

"Did you make them yourself?"

"More pictures!"

Overall I thin people like them! :kewl:

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
and well they should! the design is top notch! and with the right welder, would look awesome.

My concern is along the lines of yours, the flex of the cab without all four doors but other than that I think everything is well thought out.

I think on mine though, I want to build mine a little higher so I actually lean on it. Since the first and second gen tacos are narrower than yours, it will make it more "comfortable". As it is I always have my arm resting on the door.

·
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As it is I always have my arm resting on the door.
As do I, but with the tighter trails (partially due to the wide truck :D) I am trying to break myself of the habit, to avoid losing a limb if something does happen. I am also ordering some grab handles (velco attachment) which I will add to the top bar for closing the doors.

Overall, I am more than thrilled with the way they turned out, can hardly belive that they look almost exact to the plans we were working off of! :cool:

·
Registered
11,173 Posts

Overall, I am more than thrilled with the way they turned out, can hardly belive that they look almost exact to the plans we were working off of! :cool:
I think a lot of that has to do with an engineer designing them and understanding how to follow his own directions!:cool:

Like I said, that was the first time I have tried to fab from a set of blue prints!

Normally I work off of napkin drawings and "okay, the bend did this…so now I guess I need to do it that way".

If you want to mass produce some, let me know, I think with a little more practice you could start churning them out in no time!

·
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I might do that. The worst part cost wise so far has been the latches, then gas :eek: I may bend up an extra set and tack them together while I've got the bender...I've just got a lot to do before the upcoming runs!

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Mark came up with a great latch system for his doors, Probably the best latch I have seen in any tube door!

So much, I think I have decided to steal this idea and make me a set, which before this project was never a consideration. But the latches sold me!

I can't wait to see what he comes up with for quick disconnects for all the electrical, he was speaking about some good ideas while building so that too should be done very well
looks good
how about some pics of theis killer latch setup

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
I hear you on having a lot to do! I didn't even look at the taco yesterday eventhough it is back home and I have a pretty good idea on which direction to take with it.

I know you are concerned with the arch welder, but in reality, if you can start your arch, you should still be able to control the heat to get a good weld.

I think if I was having issues with my electricity worse than I thought in turn making the welds not as pretty as they could have been. Afterall, you have to admit, I was able to run a pretty good bead, and then the circuit would trip.

·
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
looks good
how about some pics of theis killer latch setup
I will take some more photos once I finish the door 100%, but basically I took a Toyota latch mechanism from the boneyard, and incorporated it into the tube door, based on this design:

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
no more fence gate looking latches, nor long handles extending out into your rib cage.

We surmised that with a little bit of 1" flat plate, we could make a releasing mechanism fairly easy, just by drilling two holes in the flat stock and maybe shaping it afterwards.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Bryan ("Y") spent a little while "modifying the 1 inch die for the "kinker" which made a world of difference in the bends for the upper bar.

;)
By modify do you mean enlarge the die to mate up to the tube exactly?

·
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
By modify do you mean enlarge the die to mate up to the tube exactly?
Yep! Funny thing though, we were able to make a "decent" 90° bend, but kinked the tube twice trying to make a 60° bend. :confused:

After the die was modified, the bends came out perfect!

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
"y" opened up the 1" pipe die, by grinding and contouring the inner walls, until the 1.5" tubing fit in it perfectly.

It take a lot of finesse and feel to bend with the HF but Mark picked it up very quickly. I don't like to bend tubing if it is someone's project, but in the past it has been so "hit and miss" I don't want to feel guilty about wasting so much material. But now I think we can get more constant results, depending on Marks report after bending the rest of his doors. (he has my bender and die so he can finish where he is at instead of driving back and forth to Indy.

I might also add, that we came to the conclusion that the tubing will relax about 3º so you want to go beyond your mark by that much. a 45º would actually be bent to 48º etc.

·
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm actually trying to think of some more project while I have your bender...just got off the phone with my steel supply and am picking up another 5 ft. after work. Oh, and he's gonna order a dozen more 25 footers as well :D

1 - 20 of 504 Posts
About this Discussion
503 Replies
28 Participants
NwiTACO
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing