TTORA Forum banner

481 - 500 of 504 Posts

·
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #482
Wow, rig looks awesome on the rocks! Good job! Ya gotta be feelin' good about getting done and making that trip. So what's next, rear 4link?
Thanks! Next up is getting some enjoyment out of this thing for a while again. May four-link the rear someday...but that's a long ways down the road. No plans for it in the near future.

·
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #484
Looks good man! That crawl box is sweet isnt it? It looked pretty sloppy down there. I really need to get back down to harlan, its been too long.
Crawl box is awesome when everything worked, but my stock case decided halfway through the weekend it wouldn't go into low anymore, so at least I still had one low range.

Yeah it rained. It's Harlan, it always rains, so I didn't miss compound low too much ;)

April Fools Toyota Run next year...be there! No excuses!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Yep. I like the larger events and meeting up with others. I ran in to and wheeled all weekend with two guys I wheeled with 2 years ago there, it was awesome.

Plus I walked away from the raffle with a set of D60 drive flanges...in case the full chromo Yukon hubs ever decide to give out :D
We don't go on the event weekend b/c there are always so many people there. It was pretty much just us on the evarts side.

Cool deal on the flanges!!

·
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #486
Well since before the SAC I have been fighting an issue with my 6 year-old Smittybuilt Xrc8 winch coming disengaged during a pull. It got to the point where I zip tied the lever in the engaged position to use it.

Well I got a bug up my ass and decided to give them a call back in August. Let me just say their customer service is top notch!

Before I even got the problem completely out of my mouth they said they would send a new end cap and shift lever for me to install...free of charge. That's right...5 years out of warranty and they still sent me warranty parts!

So I installed and it seemed ok...until Harlan a few weeks ago. Same thing started happening. So I call back last week and they say no problem, now that you've tried that we will send you a new planetary gearset to install, and that will take care of the problem. So yesterday I come home to find this:

Not only is it the new planetary, but the whole case and everything. Basically everything but the motor and spool! Once again for FREE!

I have no doubts this will solve my issue now!

Thanks Smittybuilt!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well since before the SAC I have been fighting an issue with my 6 year-old Smittybuilt Xrc8 winch coming disengaged during a pull. It got to the point where I zip tied the lever in the engaged position to use it.

Well I got a bug up my ass and decided to give them a call back in August. Let me just say their customer service is top notch!

Before I even got the problem completely out of my mouth they said they would send a new end cap and shift lever for me to install...free of charge. That's right...5 years out of warranty and they still sent me warranty parts!

So I installed and it seemed ok...until Harlan a few weeks ago. Same thing started happening. So I call back last week and they say no problem, now that you've tried that we will send you a new planetary gearset to install, and that will take care of the problem. So yesterday I come home to find this:

Not only is it the new planetary, but the whole case and everything. Basically everything but the motor and spool! Once again for FREE!

I have no doubts this will solve my issue now!

Thanks Smittybuilt!
That's awesome they came through on that! Now I'm kinda questioning my Engo instead of an XRC :rolleyes:

·
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #488
Well eliminated the pesky electronic shift stock transfer case and installed a manual shift FJcase. Didn't bother with the twin-stick mod as IMHO I think its a useless waste of money.

underneath it looks identical so here are the things that changed. First I had to make a spot for the shifter to come up and seal it off with a nice rubber boot:

Then I needed to add a boot in the center console, it ended up requiring more throw than just the cupholder could accommodate so I had to get creative. I ended up making a nice little frame that I could use to surface mount the boot over the old cup holder location:

Installed with the inchworm knob on the crawlbox and the stock FJ knob on the FJcase:

Installed with the wife's Sequioa knob on the crawlbox and a stock yota j-shift on the FJcase:

Also all dash lights work :D

Don't know which way I want to go yet with the knobs...maybe I will get an inchworm j-shift and run the inchworm knobs...

Crawlbox and FJcase are full of fluid now, serviced the front diff after break-in, and changed a rear pinion seal, ready to wheel again :D

·
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #489
I have gone on two runs now since the SAS, and the front diff cover is taking a beating. Looks like shit when scratched to hell and rusty, so trying to address this.

Trying to help it slide a little easier on the rocks

I am going to do something a little different on the top of the cover where the ram connection to the tie-rod rubs the cover at times...stay tuned :D

·
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #491
Well I got the call from Rick Pewe of Peterson's magazine last night. I made the first cut for the Ultimate Adventure! I am officially in the 2014 Dirty Dozen!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Congrats Mark. Your truck should do great against all those other rides.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
And soon to be sponsered by Wainiha:D A small one though:eek:

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Hunt Pig it is!:)

·
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #500
Well guys hate to say it but I just got the call and unfortunately I will not be on this years UA :( I am excited to see who got picked! I am still thrilled I made it this far, and there's always next year! :D

481 - 500 of 504 Posts
About this Discussion
503 Replies
28 Participants
NwiTACO
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing