TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Project Slow-Mo 2006 Taco Build

Just thought I would consolidate all of the mods I've done to date into one thread. I keep getting PM's asking about certain aspects of the truck, and hopefully this should answer a majority of those questions.

Later on I will post up what I have already done to the truck, but for right now I will start with my list of modifications that will be happening this winter now that the wheeling season is over. After spending a year with it on the trail, certain things have become painfully obvious that they need to change, and hopefully by the time next season rolls around I will have finished a majority of this stuff.

My list of crap I need to get done this winter:

3-Link axle swap (In Progress)

·
Banned
3,446 Posts
I might be able to hook you up with a gas can like the one I have. I'll stop by our surplus store next time I'm in the neighborhood.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PaulW said:
I might be able to hook you up with a gas can like the one I have. I'll stop by our surplus store next time I'm in the neighborhood.

That would be awesome, I really like the way those things seal compared to the regular jerry cans.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Look forward to seeing some pics once you go to that modified rear setup.

I was actually thinking about doing something similar but my dreams are bigger than reality as I know I won't wheel my truck very hard, at least not yet. Got some DR rear resi's on the way to hold me over. :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
I wanna see pics of everything you touch on this truck..... a good solid 05 buildup that would be focused on functional off road stuff and not the bling would be sweet

·
Registered
332 Posts
depending on how this thread turns out. lets get some how-to stickies on this.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is my Tacoma when I first bought it back in February this year. I got the base model and the only two options on it were A/C and floor mats. The truck was relatively inexpensive at 18K. I had a choice to make between a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited and a Tacoma Regular cab. I wanted something that could wheel, but I just love having a pickup truck. I chose the Tacoma so that I could haul all the gear I wanted.

The first modification made to the truck was Bent-Up made rock sliders. I didn’t trust my welding skills on something that could potentially bear the full load of the vehicle at an awkward angle. Hence why I paid AJ to make them for me. Now, as my welding skills are improving over time, I am more willing to take on these types of projects.

The kickout piece on the end has saved my butt on more than one occasion. They have four arms that are fully welded to the frame, and thus far have held up to quite a bit of abuse. Sufficient armor is always one of the first things on my list when it comes to modifications.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The second modification was the ARB Bullbar. This really is a well made bumper, and if you’ve seen one in person you’ll know what I mean. The installation is fairly straight forward and the directions are quite clear. The first task was to remove the stock bumper.

Once the stock bumper is clear, you begin to get an idea of how flimsy that plastic stuff really is. Mounting the bracket is pretty much an eyeball it and go affair.

Once the front bracket is on, you can begin installing your winch. I chose the Warn M8000 because of the combination of price and reliability that it offered. To this point I have been very satisfied with its performance. You will have to re-drill the ARB to get the roller fairlead mounted up properly. This was the only area that took some careful measuring. Also note that you want to maintain nearly a half inch of clearance between your bumper and the fenders. Once you drill, moving it is a pain. Also keep in mind that if you plan on running 33” or larger tires it will require trimming to prevent rubbing.

I mention the clearance issue because that is something that I screwed up on. Now when the bumper flexes it makes contact with my front fenders due to lack of clearance. To date it hasn't been an issue, but it is something that can be easily avoided. Ooops :eek:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After we had all those pieces on we moved to the suspension. The first step was the removal of the front coilovers, upper control arms and the relocation of the front sway bar. This was a fairly straight forward ordeal, with the exception of removing the UCA bolt. Nowhere in the directions did they mention how to remove it. After a quick search on the boards, I figured out that we would have to bend a little sheet metal to get them out.

After that, it was a simple matter of installing the new components into place and tightening things back to spec. The Donahoe Racing coilovers come with a piece that relocates the front sway bar forward in order to create clearance for the larger diameter coilovers. When you complete the front end, don’t forget to grease the UCA’s!

From there it was time to install the new Deaver 10 leafs and Bilestein 5100’s. The kit from Wheeler’s Offroad included all the necessary bushings, bolts etc. An impact gun made this job a breeze. Installing springs can be done by yourself, but its always easier with someone to help position them.

These are the new Deavers compared to the POS stock springs

With the Deavers, you are getting a quality product that to date I have not had a problem with squeaking. They pack may be a little thicker, but they are actually softer than the stock springs. For those wanting an increase in load capacity, the 12 pack would be a better alternative. This is geared more towards a trail application.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This writeup crap is taking longer than I thought. I'm not exactly the world's fastest typer, and my hardrive decided to eat itself earlier this month. I had some stuff backed up, but others you're going to have to put up with crappy pictures. Should have the thread current in a couple of days, and hopefully by this weekend I'll have started into the new stuff on my laundry list.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Keep it coming! This is a good read!
I'm coming up very slow on my Access Cab mods, so hearing what you're doing and seeing the ability offroad definitely helps! I don't think I'll get a crawler box for a few years, but it is definitely good to hear about your lift. I'll get BentUp to put on sliders someday. In the past they haven't been calling back.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The next thing to go on the truck was a new set of shoes. I chose the BFG M/T’s, but I am currently second guessing my tire selection. The 285/75/16’s are the perfect size, but so far I have experienced two cut sidewalls with these tires. Perhaps a set of Goodyear MT/R’s are in the future. The wheels were also purchased from Wheeler’s Offroad. I went with their type B, 16” black steel wheels. For any serious offroading, you want a wheel that is not only durable, but also inexpensive. Damage is inevitable. The reason I went with the narrower 285’s was to prevent rubbing. With the proper backspacing I do not rub on my UCA’s or the front frame rail. Given the light weight of the vehicle, I don’t foresee any floatation issues come later this winter in the deep, deep snow.

Truck with tires:

Problem with sidewalls:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The next modification was a set of Hella Rallye 4000’s on the front ARB bumper. They are quite an improvement over the stock high beams and have gotten me down more than one trail alone at night. The lighting is very impressive and worth every penny. I purchased the wiring harness with an inline fuse to expedite the process. I am currently not satisfied with the way the wiring is however, and will be changing it over this winter. They fit like a glove in the pre-drilled ARB bumper.

The Lights:

The harness:

The harness makes the wiring very simple. It comes complete with the plug adapter for the back of the light (in the picture) along with an inline fuse, switch and all the wires necessary to do the job. I personally am going to be modifying the wiring later on, but it is a rather nice kit that I see no need of replacing entirely, just a few simple changes that I'll get into later.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Nice pics...

Although I SWEAR your timeline is off..

I was at Bentup and AJ and I were doing FJ stuff when your rig was there....Your bumper was on before your sliders. I was telling AJ that it needs to be cut back 6" or so. I don't see how it does not rub already....or DOES it?

But damn, your rig looks nice without my piss on your tires.

Awesome job, keep up the great work. Major props. I take back all that crap I talk.

1 - 20 of 198 Posts