TTORA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Yup double cardon on the tcase....you got two options to make it work

1. Bust out your wallet and buy a couple (one for your tcase, one for your axle) "triple drilled" flanges from your favorite vendor

Or

2. Bust out your drill and drill the new pattern in your current flanges yourself....just offset the holes from the current holes and run with it

·
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
ok, sounds like i will go with plan b, but got lucky because the diff side is the correct bolt pattern

·
4,068 Posts
Usually when redrilling the flange, you can add a smaller pattern, but not a larger. I was gonna do Eric's, but the flange O.D. was based on the smaller bolt pattern, and drilling it out with another larger pattern would have left insufficient edge distance.

If it doesn't work out a Trail-Gear triple-drilled flange is only $30.

And luckily Toyota has never change the pilot bore size on the flanges/shafts.

·
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
ok, ordered the triple drilled flange, got the floor board cut, old t case out, changed tranny output seal, new t-case output seal since flange was off.
now, all I need is a front driveshaft......BUT my original rear was a 2 piece shaft. my front half of my old rear shaft is exactly the correct length I need for a new front shaft.....so I am contemplating using it for my front shaft. only drawback is it is a single u-joint instead of a d/c. if it doesn't seem to work I will still have my d/c shaft that I can get lengthened....now opinions.........

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Just lengthen the stock shaft....grab yourself some 3" sch40 pipe....the "nub" on the back of the flange, inside the pipe fits almost perfect inside the stuff i specified.....with a little patients you can remove the old tubing and retube it yourself for almost no money and it will be plenty straight enough (unless you are wanting to run road speeds in 4wd)

·
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
i want a daily driver...i can get my shaft lenthened and balanced for 120.....or i can do it myself as u said

·
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
what about grinding the weld off the dc yoke, and then using a rigid pipe cutting machine to cut the long shaft to length and then insert the dc yoke into it and weld it back on?

·
4,068 Posts
what about grinding the weld off the dc yoke, and then using a rigid pipe cutting machine to cut the long shaft to length and then insert the dc yoke into it and weld it back on?
You'll get it close enough to balanced that it wont matter doing it that way. Just don't get blobby with the weld.

FWIW I didn't have my new front shaft balance after shortening it.

·
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I plan on doing a couple passes with a tag, so shouldn't be any bubble gum welds

·
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
problem with my doubler....i engage the crawlbox and it locks up.....gota tear it down and see what i did wrong.....grrrrrr....trail gear thinks a snap ring isnt installed or isnt seated allowing a bearing to move....grrrrrr

·
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
need doubler help...have trail gear adapter....locked up when installed into truck....pulled it back out. coupler will not seperate from my rear case. and i can see the anodized bearing retainer has totally seperated....i can not get the adapter to seperate from the rear case more than 3/8 inch....im totally lost....went together like a dream and had 0 issues on the workbench.....now i dont know what to do.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I don't have anything to contribute about how to fix the problem but I'd be some kind of shitty if I were in your shoes. Sounds like there was a party in there

·
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
issue resolved. long spline on the rear case caused inaddiquate seating into coupler. this pushed the bearing out, split the retainer and caused all to be jammed up. got everything seperated. trail gear is warranting the retainer and i have learned a lesson in not forcing stuff together

·
4,068 Posts
issue resolved. long spline on the rear case caused inaddiquate seating into coupler. this pushed the bearing out, split the retainer and caused all to be jammed up. got everything seperated. trail gear is warranting the retainer and i have learned a lesson in not forcing stuff together
Glad you got it sorted out. Now you have me worried, lol. I had my stuff assembled and couldn't get the shaft into the coupler more than 1/4" so I used longer bolts in the case at first to draw it in...hope I didn't fubar anything putting that force on the shaft. I figured it was a tight fit so draw them together...:eek:

·
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
thats what i thought also....and all was fine until i it had power to it....bench was fine and you would never know there was a problem......mike at marlin crawler actually chimed in and gave me some info.....basicly, if it doesnt go together easily at the rear case and adapter you need to double check splines on the rear input shaft....mine was only tight the last 1/32 - 1/16 of an inch....which was enuff to jam everything forward and shear the aluminum bearing retainer......mark- i am sending you a pic of the long spline shaft

·
4,068 Posts
thats what i thought also....and all was fine until i it had power to it....bench was fine and you would never know there was a problem......mike at marlin crawler actually chimed in and gave me some info.....basicly, if it doesnt go together easily at the rear case and adapter you need to double check splines on the rear input shaft....mine was only tight the last 1/32 - 1/16 of an inch....which was enuff to jam everything forward and shear the aluminum bearing retainer......mark- i am sending you a pic of the long spline shaft
Thanks for the info. Hopefully I am fine as I have different generation adaptors and such. My input looked like the short spline, and everything still shift through fine with them installed.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
If the new tacos are anything like my 02 you have nothing to worry about mark, my input was like 2inchs long. Thats one of the reasons why i went with a lefty, to get a much longer and stronger input on there. Yes do not force anything, i learned that the hard way when i blew a hole in the side of the case using too long of a bolt to fasten down the tranny to crawler adapter plate. I jb welded it back on and ran it for 3 years!!

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
About this Discussion
44 Replies
5 Participants
slander
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing