TTORA Forum banner

Project Tree Hugger SAS

5K views 42 replies 20 participants last post by  TEJASYOTA 
#1 ·
here's my starting point....
93 xtra cab with over 300k. ex daily driver, flatbed, new engine, 4.88's and detroit and some other stuff

spray painted it. i thought it turned out pretty good

:bigok: ok so here's the plans.......Here's the plan...

84 axle
Sky truss
Sky diff guards (front and rear)
Marlin knuckle ball gusset kit
OEM knuckle service
Hy-steer (Marlin)
Rock rings
Brake backing plate eliminators
ARP knuckle studs

Stock third
precision gear 5.29s
Open until I can afford longs and an aussie locker

Springs Marlin 4" USA
Bilstein
Sky or Marlin shock hoops
Marlin spring hangar

some other crap
Triple drilled flanges
Breathers (nissan, homemade)
u-bolt flip (Marlin)
wheel spacers
ifs calipers and fj60 rotors
Marlin rear kit
Power steering box mount plate (Marlin)
36x12.5 SX's

traded my IFS for this>>>

what a greasy mess that was! whew!

See less See more
#2 ·
OEM knuckle service ( i dont trust those fawkin chinese bearings on my truck)

knuckles cleaned up nice too

mmmm......burning metal lol ..welding caps on the steering stops

lasers are cool lol

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

please feel free to critique welds

#12 ·
hey, looking at the ends of the axle tubes, what are those round things? im used to jeep axles like dana 44s and stuff, so i am unfamiliar with this setup.

the SAS is gonna be sweet man, you are going to love this setup. i love the way its coming together. keep it up

-Tim

mmmm......burning metal lol ..welding caps on the steering stops

#3 ·
sloooow progress

IFS where it belongs lol

mmmm tasty

more later this week...let me know what u guys think :drink:

#4 ·
lo profile drain plugs

shocks

cutting frame holes (not fun) the gussets on the outside passenger framerail were PITA's!!!

this helped a little bit

#5 ·
bling bling

spring hangar tacked in place. started with 3/4 inch forward. the gussets are not welded in the picture

15 lb tank mmmmmm

I built a set of breathers for 12 dollars each. 5.00 for the fitting, 2 dollars for the filter and 5 dollars for the hose. These Nissan fittings are pretty sweet. Im gonna weld a small piece of round tube on top to protect it from breaking off.

#6 ·
Got her on 4 wheels today...36's mounted too. just some minor adjustments needed with the rear shackle hangar. started ripping out AC and prepping front grill for the hydro cooler. :smokin:

got the brakes squared away

#7 ·
To Do List

Tap steering box
Mount tabs for ram on tie rod and axle
Mount shock hoops
Bumpstops
Move P.S. box and bleed
Final weld on rear spring hangars and perches
Bleed brakes
Mount CO2 setup
Weld 2 P.S. reservoirs together
mount hydro cooler unit
Remove AC
double check torque on all critical bolts
mount driveshafts

got a little work done this morning...... :flamer:

#8 ·
replaced the rear crossmember which was rusted thru.....sleeved it with 1 5/8 DOM

cut off the original gas tank bracket

welded onto new crossmember
]

welding ram tab on tie rod

ALMOST THERE! waiting on driveshafts and I need to rebuild my power steering box

#11 ·
Great build thread! Satisfying isn't it? Looking great! :saw:

#14 · (Edited)
Very nice build. Well thought out and exicuted. Very nice!

What cooler did you use for your power steering?

#19 ·
the cooler is a flex a lite model... i think i ordered it from summit for like 27 bucks...IIRC the dimensions are like 12 x 7" maybe? 3/8 inch push on fittings work with the stock toy hoses

#17 ·

I just ordered my valve yesterday. Did you have any problems hooking it up? What is that piece inline with the output, is it some kind of adapter?
thanks for the compliments :D the piece inline is an adaptor for standard to the toyota metric fitting. It took about 10 minutes to hook everything up..piece of cake..plus it simplifies the brake system...no return line to the rear and no LPSV.

#18 ·
here is the passenger side junctions where i cleaned up the unnecessary brake lines and re routed...

#21 ·
Nice build brotha!

300k on that beast, just gettin broken in!

Are those the 4" Marlin springs up front like you originally planned?
Would you mind measuring your frame to ground distance for me, from just behind the front cab mount. I'm trying to figure out why mine is so freakin high (28.5") on 36's and 4" springs, yours looks much lower. Thanks, and again, lookin good.

#22 ·

If you are gonna weld this on, do you have an adjustment somewhere else?
Mine is a clamp on the TR so I can loosen it when I need to do an alignment, it is rigid at the axle.

You'll also need it adjustable so you can make sure you get full and equal turn radius , if you weld it you may only get partial sweep of the ram and it will limit your turning.

#23 ·
yeah i carefully measure the toe in using this method....welded in and got lucky when i put the tie rod back in...toe was still the same...i will probably end up using a clamp style eventually.....for adjustability. but for now this works

#24 ·
captain kirk did u make that bracket yourself? i might just end up fabbing something like that

#25 ·
Yes, go get a piece that is big enough to slip fit over your TR, then slit it and weld on some flat stock drilled for your bolts and then weld the tabs for the ram on the tube that fits over the TR. Viola.

#27 ·
God damn another skilled ttora member! Great looking build!

#28 ·
S

Probably the most talented build I have ever seen. The toyota brace tops it off but that would probably last me five minutes on the rocks. Nice:clap: :clap: :xbeer1: :kewl:

#29 ·
I suggest NOT welding the tab on to the tie rod for the assist cylinder.

The first time you go to adjust toe in you'll be kicking yourself in the ass.

I did up a clamp kinda thing and I think put a write up in tech FAQ about how to go about it. It will allow you the cylinder very securely but still allow you to align the front end. Simple to do too.

#32 ·
pulled her out of the gayrage today....her first trip was to the car wash..exciting huh?

I still need to settle the springs and weld the shock mounts on and bumpstops. It rides suprisingly well with no shocks and no weight on the rear. The tires are more quiet than I expected too. They turn like a breeze with the hydro assist. I dont really have any complaints thusfar but I have not taken it above 40 mph. It is really amazing. I didnt have a chance to flex it out yet because I had to come to work. :down: But heres some pics to hold u guys over

#33 ·
real nice

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.