TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok after am earlyer posting every one suggested I should be runing 35s with my set up. 1997 taco sas Dana 44 and 4:88s 6-7" lift. What are some of the pro/cons of 35s my truck is also my Daly driver.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I saw your other thread, but didn't comment there. My personal opinion is that if you have a SAS you should be running at least 35s period. No matter what axle you're using I'm sure you have enough lift to fit them. More specifically for your setup a Dana 44 should really have no problem handling 35s. Might run into issues if you beat on it and use a lot of wheel spin, but for crawling and daily driving it would be absolutely fine. I would even say 37s for the amount of lift and axle being used, but your gear ratio makes me hesitate. If you went any higher than 35s I think you would hate it with 4.88s. You would definitely want to be geared lower in the differentials for 37s. Don't waste your money getting anything smaller than 35s. That's just my $.02.

I run 33s on my IFS truck on the street and heavy ass 35.5s on the trail. I have 4.88s in the diffs. There's a lot more cons to running 35s on IFS rigs due to the parts not really being designed to handle tires that large. Things like ball joints and steering components wear out much faster than normal. I also daily drove with 35s for a good while and it did fine. It didn't really like going up hills on the highway, but it still doesn't with the 33s. I don't remember what engine you have but mine is the 2.7L.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply I'm not going any bigger then 35. Even 35 are alittle over kill for the type of off roaring I do. I wounded how it will affect MPG

·
Registered
311 Posts
If you have a SAS you're going to need 35s to not have ground clearance problems. Anything smaller and you're going to be dragging your diff

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's true but only depends on the kind of off roading your doing... what kind of MPG are people geting with a 3.4 5vz 4:88 and 35s Daly driven. Right now I'm AVG about 18-20mpg on 31x10.5r15 which is not to bad...

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
That's true but only depends on the kind of off roading your doing... what kind of MPG are people geting with a 3.4 5vz 4:88 and 35s Daly driven. Right now I'm AVG about 18-20mpg on 31x10.5r15 which is not to bad...
I'm pretty sure that in every type of off roading, ground clearance is pretty important?

·
Registered
105 Posts
MPG??? You have a solid axle truck and are worried about MPG? I really don't understand what you are trying to get at here when you want a solid axle rig but run 31" tires on it. The only place that seems to make sense is with a full size truck that is built for towing and actually using the bed so the tailgate height stays low.

To answer your question:

Pro: cheaper, "better" MPG, good selection of most brands, balance easier, less trimming to make fit than bigger tire, parts will last longer than on bigger tires

Cons: reduced ground clearance than bigger tire, doesn't look as bad ass as a bigger tire would, more expensive than your 31's, worse gas mileage than your 31's

To be honest I don't know why your asking this question though if all you want to do is run a small tire and get good MPG. I would sell your truck and get a regular unmodified IFS tacoma. 31's on 6-7" of lift must look interesting to say the least.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why I'm asking I just baught this truck didn't build it. So I'm seting it up now the right way. It had 33s but the other owner wanted to keep them and all i had was 31s So I'm asking cuz I'm new to tacomas and SAS.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
MPG??? You have a solid axle truck and are worried about MPG? I really don't understand what you are trying to get at here when you want a solid axle rig but run 31" tires on it. The only place that seems to make sense is with a full size truck that is built for towing and actually using the bed so the tailgate height stays low.

To answer your question:

Pro: cheaper, "better" MPG, good selection of most brands, balance easier, less trimming to make fit than bigger tire, parts will last longer than on bigger tires

Cons: reduced ground clearance than bigger tire, doesn't look as bad ass as a bigger tire would, more expensive than your 31's, worse gas mileage than your 31's

To be honest I don't know why your asking this question though if all you want to do is run a small tire and get good MPG. I would sell your truck and get a regular unmodified IFS tacoma. 31's on 6-7" of lift must look interesting to say the least.
:rolleyes:

I DD my truck, and put 15,000 miles per year. I run 35's just because I'm running a 8" TRD rear axle, and I'm concerned with MPG's. Does that mean that I don't wheel it?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Norcal, I'm not implying that if you run 35's on your SAS that you don't wheel your truck. I am just stating that I was confused why the OP was running a 31" tire on a SAS tacoma. Not saying that it can't be done as many people wheel their stock tacoma's just fine with the proper driving and some armor.

My point was that usually when you buy a SAS/heavily modified truck your usually not so concerned as to how many MPG's you get as opposed to how well it functions for its intended purpose IE: wheeling. I understand completely why you would run a 35" tire instead of a 37" tire.

To the OP, I get it why your running 31's right now, it wasn't laid out at the beginning your entire situation. I think you will be just fine with 35's. 33's would look to small IMHO but to each his own.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the only reason I’m asking about MPGs is right now I’m avg. 20-18 mpg not bad with the 31s and would hate to put 35s and find out I’m getting something crazy like 12-15 MPG...

·
Registered
286 Posts
the only reason I’m asking about MPGs is right now I’m avg. 20-18 mpg not bad with the 31s and would hate to put 35s and find out I’m getting something crazy like 12-15 MPG...
I think you should have done a little more research BEFORE you bought the truck instead of after. If you think you're going to get even close to 15mpg with
D44 axles and 35" tires you are not being realistic. I'm guessing 11-13 area. Hell my 98' only gets 14 with 32's and stock drivetrain. Good luck, but it don't look like its gonna work out the way you want it to.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
How are You calculating mileage ?
How accurate is Your speedometer ?
You are running "smaller" tires with what gears, that may throw Your estimate off ?

My truck is usually loaded with tools, band equipment, and is heavier than a Tacoma..
My speedo is dead nuts on. (3.4 Auto, 35" KM2's @35 psi highway pressure, with 4:56 gears) 12-13 in town, 17mpg highway, 270 miles on 19 gallons=14.210526315789473684210526315789 mpg avg

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
Mine gets 15-17 mpg hand calcd. That's with 35" beadlocks. Speedo dead nuts..

W/o beadlocks I was getting 16-18

1 - 17 of 17 Posts