TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have a Leer Tonneau cover on my truck now, works perfectly. But I sorta rushed into buying it as it was the day before i was leaving for college. Sooo, i'm now thinking about getting a shell instead, for sleeping in, headroom, etc. What are some pros/cons comparing the two?

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
CYi5 said:
Well, I have a Leer Tonneau cover on my truck now, works perfectly. But I sorta rushed into buying it as it was the day before i was leaving for college. Sooo, i'm now thinking about getting a shell instead, for sleeping in, headroom, etc. What are some pros/cons comparing the two?
My snugtop lid shifted on my 2002 and the metal hinges rubbed up against my paint and since then its been ok but i wish i had the shell instead.

·
Registered
472 Posts
can you even put anything under the tonneau cover? I like the shell cause everything i need can fit. Although i do miss the look and feel without one, seems much lighter and quicker without it.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fiberglass tonneau's are surprisingly heavy as well :(

·
Registered
358 Posts
CYi5 said:
I have a Leer Tonneau on my regular-cab. I've heard this particular tonneau weighs 85 pounds. I really like mine because it keeps everything securely out of sight, unlike a shell (unless you tint its windows really dark or use curtains or something). Also, the tonneau is great for off-roading (vs. a shell) because rear visibility is so much better if you have to back up in a tight spot or something. Plus, the neighbors don't ask me to help them move couches or other large items (which means it's tough for me to do the same unless I remove it, which I've never needed to do in 2.5 years).

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
would a shell make the truck more top heavy in precarious situations?

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I have shell; in and of itself its not gonna raise your center of gravity much-if you put a rack with spare and your high-lift and who knows what else on top, that might have more of an affect. I feel that it is tons more useful than a tonneau for carrying stuff and I can sleep in it and it keeps the dog from wandering off if he's with me. It does affect visibility, especially at night because its windows are tinted, and counting the window of the truck, thats three pieces of tinted glass.

As far as taking it off, its totally easy with an extra person, and do-able with one. I keep a ratchet with the right socket for the clamps in the truck and I can get them all loose in about two minutes.

My .02

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmm, thanks for the info, keep it comin plz. I'm hoping to eventually find someone with a shell they wanna get rid of, and trade it for my tonneau. We'll see i guess..

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Please don't get mad at me guys for say this. But if I remeber right on the show trucks
www.truckstv.com did they have a show where they showed a customized truck that had a tonneau cover that would move vertically up and also wasn't there one where they put a soft camper shell on a truck. Where you could roll the sides up. Would something like that be a possibilty

·
Registered
984 Posts
Except for looks / aesthetics, I don't see any advantage to tonneaus. Rear visibility with a (windowed) shell is no worse than most SUV's or minivans. You can carry people if need be with a shell, and it requires more cargo to exceed your available volume (as in making you contemplate removal). I've heard more leak complaints from tonneau owners than shell owners. Fiberglass shells add about 150 - 180 lbs. over the bed, and it settles the rear nicely.

·
Registered
226 Posts
JLtaco said:
Lets not forget that the shell looks much better then the Tonneau cover.
For some reason I can't stand the way a shell looks, especially on an extended cab. Kinda reminds me of a work truck of a plumber or sumthin? I prefer the tonneau cover. Oh well, different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Nah- real work trucks round here have ladder racks, not shells. Or the migrant worker looking shells aren't something you would put on your tuck anyhow- those cheap ones look like they are made from recycled Winnebago siding. A nice matching shell on any tacoma makes it look like a 4-runner.

I had a good idea for the ultimate shell- why not make one with an integrated tubular frame inside- then make it 3 piece with a removable roof. For guys with hobbies or construction needs, you can remove the roof only, leaving the sides, and roll up a motorcycle, or load long wood into the bed, and lean it against the forward bar, or use the side bars for support/tie downs. You would basically never need to remove the whole shell again, and the flat roof would be very easy to store- heck, make it plastic, so it's durable. It won;t even have to match perfect- make it black, you'll never see it. Just paint the sides to match!

I'm kind of surprised no one's done this yet.

-Dave

·
Registered
984 Posts
Not exactly the same thing, but... I've seen the heavy-duty industrial truck boxes (e.g., with the big side equipment boxes) rigged to accommodate a removable roof piece (and / or interchangeable racks).

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Can-Baks look way sweet, but not very secure for Southern California. Yes, i know the Trucks! show you were talkin about, but i think they used electric rams to lift the sucker up? I guess visibility is the only flaw i'm concerned with at the moment. Leer has some that have windows across the whole side of the shell.
What are some other manufacturers of shells?

·
Registered
72 Posts
CYi5 said:
The Can-Baks look way sweet, but not very secure for Southern California. Yes, i know the Trucks! show you were talkin about, but i think they used electric rams to lift the sucker up? I guess visibility is the only flaw i'm concerned with at the moment. Leer has some that have windows across the whole side of the shell.
What are some other manufacturers of shells?
I have a Royal Series shell from Century: http://centurycaps.com/index.php
Pictures on my truck: http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/722799/2

I've had it for almost five years now, and I still love it. There aren’t many drawbacks to having the shell except the price, a minor reduction in visibility, and also the inability to carry large bulky items. Since owning the shell, I have only had it removed twice: once to have the cab painted, and the other to help a friend move. I’d estimate it’s weight at a little over 100 lbs., so it was easy for two people to remove and replace. I enjoy not having to worry about my surfboards or any other gear that I leave in the bed of my truck while shopping or away from my truck for an extended amount of time. I liked the way my truck looked without the shell, but I love the way it looks with the shell on.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
truck does look good, shell makes it look longer too :)

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
dang..that looks crazy good!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts