TTORA Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help on my power steering. Can't figure out what it is?
Not your typical low power steering fluid noise. Sounds like when windex a window and you that streaking noise. Only the noise comes on when I lock-to-lock the wheel.
Is it my rack or PS pump? Oh and my truck has 175k on the original OE parts.
Thanks
eric

·
Registered
521 Posts
S

Might be the PS rack bushings going out or something like that. My pump went bad and steering rac and I have an 02. My ball joints also failed but they were under recall. Keep an eye on it for sure.

·
Registered
895 Posts
whining is usually from air being in the system which often occurs due to worn out ps pump. if it is the pump you can buy a rebuild kit from toyota dealer with new seals and rebuild the pump per directions here - http://www.toy4x4.net/ps/index.htm or just buy a whole new pump and replace it (you could get a remanufactured unit from autozone or kragen with lifetime warranty). it could also be any other part of the steering system, such as hoses or rack, that got worn and is letting air in. but first I would at least try to bleed the system to get the air out and see if it helps - raise the front of the truck off the ground and support with jackstands, take cap off the ps fluid reservoir, with engine OFF rotate steering wheel from lock to lock slowly holding it each time at full lock position for at least 5 seconds, do that 20 times, then lower the truck and let it sit for about an hour or so. then with engine ON and truck on the ground repeat the process above 20 times. Then shut it off and let it sit for another hour or so. This SHOULD get rid of all the air in the system BUT might not. hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.