TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie question:
Just wondering if I install say Revtek or Daystar pucks in my front coils will I get more wheel travel with the lift. My thinking is that although I have not changed the springs and shocks the stop bumper on the A-arm will be farther away. This may make no sense at all.

thanks

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Total travel will not be affected

uptravel will gain
downtravel will suffer

only 2 ways to get more travel out of the ifs is either extended donahoes and uniball upper arm or full on long travel

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
mel22b said:
Newbie question:
Just wondering if I install say Revtek or Daystar pucks in my front coils will I get more wheel travel with the lift. My thinking is that although I have not changed the springs and shocks the stop bumper on the A-arm will be farther away. This may make no sense at all.

thanks
no.........

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick answer.

If I have this right even if I go with coilovers like Fabtech Dirt Logic, Camburg 2.5, and Donahoe's, leaving everything else stock, I will have the same travel.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
mel22b said:

If I have this right even if I go with coilovers like Fabtech Dirt Logic, Camburg 2.5, and Donahoe's, leaving everything else stock, I will have the same travel.
yes, total travel will be the same. the quality of the travel however will be radically different between a spacer lift and a quality coilover

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
mel22b said:

donahoe and camburg have extended coilovers that will give an extra inch of travel with the uniball upper arms, other than that, long travel is the only other way to increase travel in the front

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again. i was wondering why they sold new upper control arms. I thought maybe it was for additional strength.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Just installed the Fabtech Dirt-Logic 2.5's. Wow what a difference. It's like a whole new machine. I don't know what's gonna break but I'm sure it won't be the shocks first. If you have a 4X4 you don't want to extend the travel too much or you be buying CV's and boots on a regular basis. The long travel Camburg's and All pro's are eingineered correctly but they are still hard on the boots if you do alot of hard core wheelin. Keep it as simple as you can. Do the coil over swap ie, DR, Cam, Sway, Fab. and you'll be much impressed with the improvement. Can't say which is better but in the sport motorcycle world it's the same thing. Nothing ever stays stock on the track. And on the street there is only so much you can do anyhow. And all of these surpass that level...

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,421 Posts
mel22b said:
Thanks again. i was wondering why they sold new upper control arms. I thought maybe it was for additional strength.
The upper arms don't really see that much load stress. They are primarily there to keep the alignment. The aftermarket upper control arms do have a huge benefit, and thats the uniball. By switching from the stock balljoint to the uniball, you eliminate the binding from the balljoint at full droop. This is why you can run the 1" extended coilovers with the aftermarket UCAs.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
mel22b said:
Newbie question:

thanks
pre-load spacers, no
top-load spacer like the one that comes with the Revtec 3" kit, yes, extends down-travel.

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
Like hytenor said, a top load will effect down travel, which in turn will cause things to break (ball joints, etc..) stay away from top load spacers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts