TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the procedure for pulling codes with Check engine light?

Key on/off three times?

·
Registered
925 Posts
roadrnnr3 said:

Key on/off three times?

i think you can only do that with obd 1 cars whereas ours are obdii and requires a code reader. i got mine online for 89 bucks and it works great.

·
Registered
33 Posts
roadrnnr3 said:

Key on/off three times?

The code reader is a good investment. At least you know what's wrong before some shop tries to rip you off. Real easy to use too. :xsmokin1:

·
Registered
662 Posts
peekay331 said:
i think you can only do that with obd 1 cars whereas ours are obdii and requires a code reader. i got mine online for 89 bucks and it works great.
Hey man, just curious as to which scanner you bought. I had to have Autozone scan one for me today, and the one they used actually told you what the code meant on the screen instead of just giving you the code. It was $140 though...

·
Registered
264 Posts
4TACXOMA4 said:
Hey man, just curious as to which scanner you bought. I had to have Autozone scan one for me today, and the one they used actually told you what the code meant on the screen instead of just giving you the code. It was $140 though...
I've got this one and I love it. It's just an interface between the truck ecu and your laptop but it gives you a LOT of information. It's not just for pulling codes.

·
Don't get Wenzeled
1,410 Posts
flatlandtacoma said:
I've got this one and I love it. It's just an interface between the truck ecu and your laptop but it gives you a LOT of information. It's not just for pulling codes.
MUST GO!! MUST BUY!!!!

that's cool! now i just need to talk my boss into a laptop... hmmmm..

·
Registered
925 Posts
4TACXOMA4 said:
i got this one: http://www.obddiagnostics.com/ it plugs into your serial port on a laptop. you dont need to get one that tells you what the code means. the codes they give off are all universal, therefore you can just check any one of the many obd2 websites online and find out what the code means. actually, the software that comes with the scanner i have actually has an index of each code.

also, i've seen simple scanners like the one you mentioned for like 89 bucks on sale at kragen.

·
Registered
662 Posts
peekay331 said:
i got this one: http://www.obddiagnostics.com/ it plugs into your serial port on a laptop. you dont need to get one that tells you what the code means. the codes they give off are all universal, therefore you can just check any one of the many obd2 websites online and find out what the code means. actually, the software that comes with the scanner i have actually has an index of each code.

also, i've seen simple scanners like the one you mentioned for like 89 bucks on sale at kragen.
So, do you think this type that plugs into a laptop are better than the ones that just display the code? Thanks.

·
Registered
264 Posts
4TACXOMA4 said:
So, do you think this type that plugs into a laptop are better than the ones that just display the code? Thanks.

Yeah, they're better because they give you all the information available from your ecu. But for just pulling the codes, or ease of use, the small handheld might be what you want.

·
Registered
662 Posts
flatlandtacoma said:
Yeah, they're better because they give you all the information available from your ecu. But for just pulling the codes, or ease of use, the small handheld might be what you want.
So, what other type of info will this one give vs just the regular handheld. I have a laptop that I can bring in the truck with me and such, but how hard is it to use. Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I get the right one. Thanks.

·
Registered
828 Posts
4TACXOMA4 said:
So, what other type of info will this one give vs just the regular handheld. I have a laptop that I can bring in the truck with me and such, but how hard is it to use. Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I get the right one. Thanks.
have you seen the www.obd-2.com unit? its the one i got and its pretty complete....it will measure the o2 sensors signal and graph it...its pretty trick....more for the advanced user...

·
Registered
925 Posts
4TACXOMA4 said:
yea, ditto what the others said. the good thing about the code only units at autozone is that they are smaller and can be easily brought on long trips or even kept in your truck. with mine, you have to take the laptop which is kind of a pain. to be honest, the one i have gives way too much information. i dont even know what to do with all the info. i just use it for code pulling.

·
Registered
264 Posts
4TACXOMA4 said:

It will tell you if in open or closed loop, % Engine load, coolant temp, fuel trim, manifold pressure, rpm, speed, ignition timing, intake air temperature & flow rate, throttle position, 02 sensor voltages, etc. You can view these in real time or have them saved to a logfile on the computer. Also, if there is a trouble code stored, it will tell you what all of those parameters were at the instant the code was generated. It's way cool if you are a geek. :D But also helpful to see what the ECU thinks your engine is doing if you have a bad sensor.

·
Registered
828 Posts
flatlandtacoma said:
It will tell you if in open or closed loop, % Engine load, coolant temp, fuel trim, manifold pressure, rpm, speed, ignition timing, intake air temperature & flow rate, throttle position, 02 sensor voltages, etc. You can view these in real time or have them saved to a logfile on the computer. Also, if there is a trouble code stored, it will tell you what all of those parameters were at the instant the code was generated. It's way cool if you are a geek. :D But also helpful to see what the ECU thinks your engine is doing if you have a bad sensor.

thats a slick little unit

·
Registered
264 Posts
YUNADERIS said:
thats a slick little unit
Yeah, it's pretty cool. But really all it is - is an interface cable. The software is free to download from their site. Your ECU has all of this information already, it's just a matter of getting it out where you can see it.

·
Registered
662 Posts
flatlandtacoma said:
That would be pretty cool to have even if it takes me a while to figure it all out. If you are just pulling the code is it as easy to use as the other kind? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts