TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just what the title says. The truck pulls to the left when I apply the brakes with force. I have replaced both inner tie-rods, rotors, pads and have now rebuilt the passenger side caliper. Still pulls. Any more suggestions. Bearings dont have any play.

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
cooper4x4 said:
Just what the title says. The truck pulls to the left when I apply the brakes with force. I have replaced both inner tie-rods, rotors, pads and have now rebuilt the passenger side caliper. Still pulls. Any more suggestions. Bearings dont have any play.
are either of the calipers sticking on their slides??? that will cause a pull

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
grumpy said:
are either of the calipers sticking on their slides??? that will cause a pull
There was one piston on the pass side that looked like it had not had an equal amount of pressure applied to it as the other 3 pistons. I could tell that from the marks on the back of the pads. That is one reason why we rebuilt the caliper. We cleaned the pins and lubed them. STill pulls.

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
cooper4x4 said:
There was one piston on the pass side that looked like it had not had an equal amount of pressure applied to it as the other 3 pistons. I could tell that from the marks on the back of the pads. That is one reason why we rebuilt the caliper. We cleaned the pins and lubed them. STill pulls.
assuming you bled the brakes.

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
cooper4x4 said:
you are assuming correctly.
not sure what else to suggest.

from '02 FSM-brakes pull
1) piston stuck-are you wure you got everything put together correctly??
2)Pad or lining (oily)
3) piston (frozen)
4)disc (scored)
5) pad or lining (cracked or distorted)

did they pull before you started the brake work?? truck doesn't pull when driving??
don't our brakes do one front and one rear on one line and other wheel on other line-from master cylinder?? (sorry if dumb??) if so are the pressure teh same going to ea front wheel?

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
grumpy said:
not sure what else to suggest.

from '02 FSM-brakes pull
1) piston stuck-are you wure you got everything put together correctly??
2)Pad or lining (oily)
3) piston (frozen)
4)disc (scored)
5) pad or lining (cracked or distorted)

did they pull before you started the brake work?? truck doesn't pull when driving??
don't our brakes do one front and one rear on one line and other wheel on other line-from master cylinder?? (sorry if dumb??) if so are the pressure teh same going to ea front wheel?
1) yes, got everything together correctly
2) no
3) no
4) no
5) no

It pulled both ways from bad tie rods. Fixed those and it pulled left. Started after we turned the rotors. Changed rotors, still have the problem. Changed pads and rebuilt the caliper and still have the problem. I dont know about the pressure.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've found that small air pressure differences from left tire vs right tire make the truck pull one way or another under breaking.
-Chris

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PismoBoy24 said:
I've found that small air pressure differences from left tire vs right tire make the truck pull one way or another under breaking.
-Chris
same air pressure

·
Registered
264 Posts
cooper4x4 said:
same air pressure
So the side you rebuilt isn't braking as hard. Clean the passenger side really good with brake cleaner. Make sure you don't have any tiny brake fluid leaks on that side oozing down and getting on your pads or rotors.

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
cooper4x4 said:
1) yes, got everything together correctly
2) no
3) no
4) no
5) no

It pulled both ways from bad tie rods. Fixed those and it pulled left. Started after we turned the rotors. Changed rotors, still have the problem. Changed pads and rebuilt the caliper and still have the problem. I dont know about the pressure.
did you get alignment after the tierods??? If not start there. sorry I wasn't able to be more help.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tbplus10 said:
Check the hoses for kinks, and check the needle orofices on the end of the hoses for debris in the system.
Tim
Tim, there are no kinks in the line. What are you referring to when you say needle orifices?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Jack up the front and put on stands. Have a friend push on the brake and have him tell you as soon as he releases the brake to see if you can turn the front wheels.
If they both release immediately then check your rear brakes. An unadjusted right rear can cause a pull to the left.

Also there could be one other problem in the "rubber" brake line that goes to your front calipers. It doesn`t happen very often but the inside walls can deteriorate/collapse and hold pressure to the caliper. You will notice this if you can`t turn the front wheel as soon as your friend releases the brake pedal. Try to rule out everything you can because I`m sure you don`t want to be just replaceing parts. :cool:

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
flatlandtacoma said:
The problem started when you replaced your tierod ends. Did you get an alignment? You need to after replacing tierod ends.
I did get an alignment after the tie-rod install.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
96tacolx said:
Jack up the front and put on stands. Have a friend push on the brake and have him tell you as soon as he releases the brake to see if you can turn the front wheels.
If they both release immediately then check your rear brakes. An unadjusted right rear can cause a pull to the left.

Also there could be one other problem in the "rubber" brake line that goes to your front calipers. It doesn`t happen very often but the inside walls can deteriorate/collapse and hold pressure to the caliper. You will notice this if you can`t turn the front wheel as soon as your friend releases the brake pedal. Try to rule out everything you can because I`m sure you don`t want to be just replaceing parts. :cool:
good ideas. i will try that and adjust the rear brakes. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just to make sure my theory is right, if the truck is pulling to the left when braking then the drivers side is grabbing more than the passenger side. Whether it be the front or rear brakes. Am I correct with this assumption? Chris King email me with this idea: maybe one isn't pulling , but rather the other one isn't grabbing. Any more suggestions would be appreciated. I have adjusted the pass rear brakes and that did not help. I am thinking about just getting some new calipers and replacing the stock brake lines with some stainless steel ones.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
cooper4x4 said:
You may have a brake hose going bad. If the fluid is being restricted in the pass side hose it wont let that side develop max clamping force and cause a pull to the left. If you can do a gradual stop with minimal or no pull and then when you do a hard stop and have a pull it is usually a brake hose. You may also want to check the front suspension a-arm bushings etc for any play front to back this can also cause a pull under braking.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts