TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post here, so I may be asking a typical newbie question. I am looking to purcase a 1998 or 99 4x4 Xcab Tacoma. I am mostly interested in the 3.4 V6, but I want manual hubs. Can these be found? Are they rare? I could probably live w/ the 2.7 if thats what it takes to get manual hubs, but I notice that you don't pay much mpg penalty for the V6 and would prefer the additional power. Also, which trim package would include power windows? Do you have to get the SR5 or TRD? I was thinking all TRD models will come w/ ADD. One last question. Are the 2.7 and 3.4 engines 2 or 4 valve heads. Thanks for your help. Sorry for the long winded post.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Fubar said:
This is my first post here, so I may be asking a typical newbie question. I am looking to purcase a 1998 or 99 4x4 Xcab Tacoma. I am mostly interested in the 3.4 V6, but I want manual hubs. Can these be found? Are they rare? I could probably live w/ the 2.7 if thats what it takes to get manual hubs, but I notice that you don't pay much mpg penalty for the V6 and would prefer the additional power. Also, which trim package would include power windows? Do you have to get the SR5 or TRD? I was thinking all TRD models will come w/ ADD. One last question. Are the 2.7 and 3.4 engines 2 or 4 valve heads. Thanks for your help. Sorry for the long winded post.
I would go without the manual hubs to get the locker and suspension on the TRD. This is your choice though. MY TWO CENTS

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
sr5 would include power windows...the trd package has the locker and better suspension. if i were you i'd get a trd model and then swap in the manual hubs if they're that important to you

·
wut?
1,466 Posts
Fubar said:

The 3.4 is a 4 valve head, I don't know about the 4 cly. I it was me, I'd go with the V-6. The extra power is nice to have. The TRD package has the E locker, which is a plus.

·
Registered
61 Posts
One more addition

YoTRacer158 said:
sr5 would include power windows...the trd package has the locker and better suspension. if i were you i'd get a trd model and then swap in the manual hubs if they're that important to you
The TRD package is a better deal... but if the manual hubs are that important to you... you should know that the kit to swap over the TRD hub to manual is nearly $1000.

·
Registered
469 Posts
YoTRacer158 said:
sr5 would include power windows...
Not all of them. SR5 is an exterior chrome package (maybe some other stuff too) but doesn't include power anything. Mine's a SR5 and doesn't have pw or pdl or tilt.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had 2 98's both were sr5's, one was a trd, neither had power windows, both had add. Power windows were optional, but I doubt you will ever find a truck with power windows and manual hubs. My 95.5 V6 reg cab had manual hubs. But it was also a bare bones truck, didn't even have a/c. Toyota does their options in packages, it's even worse now than it used to be. I just bought an 05, and in order to get painted flares and intermittent wipers, I had to buy a fully loaded truck. Not that I mind that, but I really didn't need alloys,power windows,cruise, and a cd changer.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My 2000 SR5 came with V6, manual hubs, power windows, locks, etc. Looked at about a million trucks online before I found mine. Took several months to find but they are out there.

Consider the TRD limited slip rear. I have seen them for $200 on here. I'm planning one as soon as my personal finances pull out of their current freefall.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts