TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a push button start done? Is there a write-up for it?

Danny

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
I had mine wired for a remote start for awhile

99 Stnd Cab , 2.7 4x4 5spd manual..

It's easy enough to do if you have the clutch start cancel switch ( if yours is manual trans ) in your taco.. just follow manufactures specs on install .. but
if you do have a manual trans your gonna need to wire the cscs* see above assuming you have one to fulltime ON.. either pull it from the dash and cross the wires or shove something in the button to hold it pushed in :xsmokin1:

Just rember not to leave truck in gear lol .. Is great for those hot and cold days click remote and let it warm up :)

·
Registered
741 Posts
i had it done at a shop, and i watched him do it, it didn't seem like it was very hard, he went under the dash and spliced into the ignition wire, then had to hook up something to the fuel injector so that the brain would know that the truck was on.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
its not hard at all. i did it on my 95. the wire that you pull from the engine is your rpm detector. you can either get it from there or pull apart you gauges and piggyback on the back of the rpm gauge. just dont go too cheap on the unit. i paid 120 for mine and it was just the remote start and i regretted it. i think that clifford makes a decent one. depends on how much bling you want to put into it

·
Registered
428 Posts
AutoStart

I have auto start but it was part of my alarm setup, it was about 500$ but I don't regret it. It has a 2-way remote... I love it...

It's the Echo alarm by Omega

Some lady bashed her door into my Tacoma while I was eating... I was able to go out there and confront her...

www.omegaalarm.com

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So does anyone have a write-up / how-to on this subject? I find it hard to beleive no one has done this mod yet.

Danny

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think that maybe some of you are misunderstanding what I mean by Push button start. What I mean is one of these gadgets not a remote start.

Danny

·
Registered
162 Posts
Why would you do that??? You still have to turn the key on. You have watched too many hot rod drag cars with the nuclear flip up switch for the fuel and ignition, with the big black push button start... I got a 68 nova drag car that we work on, heheh, everytime we drive it, flip flip push... it is cool, but i wouldn't do it to my taco.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dare to be different

Doc_Sausage said:
Why would you do that??? You still have to turn the key on. You have watched too many hot rod drag cars with the nuclear flip up switch for the fuel and ignition, with the big black push button start... I got a 68 nova drag car that we work on, heheh, everytime we drive it, flip flip push... it is cool, but i wouldn't do it to my taco.
What's wrong with trying to do something different? Granted, it is one extra step to starting your truck, but the cool factor is what I would be trying for. Do the install and impress your friends.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Above Me said:
What's wrong with trying to do something different? Granted, it is one extra step to starting your truck, but the cool factor is what I would be trying for. Do the install and impress your friends.
Because most of the people around here don't do mods for the "cool" factor. I wouldn't think it is very cool if it takes you longer to start your truck than it does for me to start mine. :confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
4TACXOMA4 said:
Because most of the people around here don't do mods for the "cool" factor. I wouldn't think it is very cool if it takes you longer to start your truck than it does for me to start mine. :confused:
Take longer? What, maybe 1 more second? If you are in that big of a hurry, who am I to stand in your way. It's funny how if someone wouldn't do something in particular to their truck, they think no one should do it.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Doc_Sausage said:
I am interested in it for my '86 beater pre-run toy. It currently has no dash and the ignition is laying on the floor lol. So any write ups or links would be appreciated.

Clarify. I am interested in just the switch/ push button type set up. No need to turn the key :D

·
Registered
662 Posts
Above Me said:
Take longer? What, maybe 1 more second? If you are in that big of a hurry, who am I to stand in your way. It's funny how if someone wouldn't do something in particular to their truck, they think no one should do it.
I never said you shouldn't do it, I just said it wasn't going to be that cool IMO.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i had a push button start buttom on my 88 toy, (had a short in the ignition swich) forgot wear i pigtailed into) did it 18 yrs ago! my friends liked it. trun key,push buttom go!!!:driving::jawdrop::jawdrop:

·
Registered
359 Posts
i'm bringing this thread back from the dead. i plan on using my clutch start cancel button on my trail only rig (85 22RE SAS etc...) for my push button start, and getting rid of the keyed ignition entirely to eliminate the steering wheel lock and put a stop my fear of losing the key and being SOL

current plan is to by-pass and get rid of the fuel pump relay and have 2 dash board toggle switches for fuel and spark then use the push button for the starter.

give me you :2cents: TTORA !

·
Registered
932 Posts
give me you :2cents: TTORA !
You own a Toyota, in Kali, and it will no longer have an ignition key. It will be stolen and parted out faster than I typed this response. :flipoff4:

No, seriously, I hope you plan on locking the wheel with 3/8+ grade 70 chain and a disc lock, and locking the shifters together. :D

Otherwise, sounds easy enough to do, though I'd keep the FP relay in place and just use a switch to turn the relay on and off.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
16 Participants
will.the.thrill
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing