TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i know:deadhors: but i still have a few question, ive been thinking of upgrading to these tires because i love the way tall skinny tires perform and there arent many other options. Im currently running 255/85r16 but my biggest concern is vibrations. This truck is not a daily driver but i do a couple 6-18 hr drives a year. I also live in the mountains and do alot of snow wheelin. Any ideas or inputs? Thanks

·
Registered
232 Posts
I use a set for offroad. I've driven short distances from parking lots to trail heads on the street and they did fine. I have a shit load of airsoft BBs in each tire though. They weren't bad as far as noise/vibration is concerned, but the truck was very slow. You could tell a huge difference. I have a set of Michelin LTX M/S2 tires in 285/75R16 on stock wheels that I daily drive on. That way I use a tire with a 70,000 mile warranty for the street and don't waste the tread on the expensive/hard to find Q78s.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use a set for offroad. I've driven short distances from parking lots to trail heads on the street and they did fine. I have a shit load of airsoft BBs in each tire though. They weren't bad as far as noise/vibration is concerned, but the truck was very slow. You could tell a huge difference. I have a set of Michelin LTX M/S2 tires in 285/75R16 on stock wheels that I daily drive on. That way I use a tire with a 70,000 mile warranty for the street and don't waste the tread on the expensive/hard to find Q78s.
Hmm point taken. Im still running 4:10's and the truck is pretty heavy as is with gear, bumpers, camper ect. Going to regear this year but im not sure if i want 4:88 or 5:29

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
232 Posts
If you plan to DD Q78s definitely go with 5.29. I have 4.88s and they do fine with 33s and ok with 35s but the truck doesn't like holding speed while going up hill. With how heavy the Q78s are I would definitely want 5.29. 00regcab DDs his Q78s. Maybe he'll chime in.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea thats kinda what im leaning towards. I do plan on a sac later down the road but not any time soon. Im always getting the comments from people on the trail asking me if I know what I'm getting myself into when they see my ifs:rolleyes:. I think 5.29's might be a bit much with 255's tho

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I'm more than happy with my Q78's. They will form a flat spots if left sitting which will cause a good amount of vibrations for about the first 15-20 mins of driving. After that it's not too bad. I've got 4.56s and the truck hates life as soon as I hit an incline....thankfully the crawler makes up for it on the trail. I've got another set of 255/85-16 KM2's I use for non wheeling trips.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
I use to DD my truck on q78s before I bought my Cummins. They weren't too bad for DD purposes, however they definitely aren't that great of a tire in packed snow and ice. This should be apparent though, just by looking at the tire and its lack of siping. I run 5.29 with the 3.4 and my taco weighs about 4800lbs in daily gear. Here in Colorado with big passes and high elevation the truck was no hot rod, however if I built momentum before a climb I could maintain 5th at about 80 with little to no issues. My truck pulls fine uphill if I can keep rpm around 4k. I never really had any power complaints, but I also came to terms long ago with the fact it wasn't a hot rod, or a diesel. As far as the tires go, I absolutely loved them. You can read some of my reviews in the q78 thread.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Yea thats kinda what im leaning towards. I do plan on a sac later down the road but not any time soon. Im always getting the comments from people on the trail asking me if I know what I'm getting myself into when they see my ifs:rolleyes:. I think 5.29's might be a bit much with 255's tho

I have 5.29s with 255/85/16 and 5spd; LOVE it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts