TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a 4Runner that is for sale in CA. What are the crazy things about CA emissions that I want to look at before buying a CA 4Runner? Yes, I plan to bring it to CO and keep it as my baby...

·
Registered
279 Posts
as long as it has a catalytic converter it should be good. I would think that if it had the other emission stuff removed the check engine light would be on for sure. California state law says that it is the seller responsibility to get the vehicle smogged before sale. I am not to familiar with Colorado emission laws but they cant be any stricter then hear in Cali

·
Registered
250 Posts
Its true, it is the owners responsibilities to get the vehicle smogged before sale. I bought my 4Runner from a guy down in Hemet. He smogged it 4 days before I got it. It passed, then I had to turn around and smog it again. GAG!!! Glad Im from Oregon though. Right now Im running straight pipe into a 2" cherry bomb. No muffler or Cat and nope, my check engine light aint on either. Good luck on your hunt for the 4Runner.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Its true, it is the owners responsibilities to get the vehicle smogged before sale. I bought my 4Runner from a guy down in Hemet. He smogged it 4 days before I got it. It passed, then I had to turn around and smog it again. GAG!!! Glad Im from Oregon though. Right now Im running straight pipe into a 2" cherry bomb. No muffler or Cat and nope, my check engine light aint on either. Good luck on your hunt for the 4Runner.
Removing the cat won't cause the check engine light to turn on but it will fail visual inspection and faill emissions. removing other stuff like exhaust manifolds and replacing them with non smog legal headers would cause the check engine light possibly come on or blocked, clogged, or bypassed egr valves and so on

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Dont worry much about the emissions of them, well atleast on some generations of them. The old two door styles had the O2 sensor in front of the cat. Personally there isnt much wrong with the emissions of the CA on those older vehicles (not familiar with the new ones). I have an '88 4Runner which was sold in CA and has all the CA emmisions.

Are you looking to keep all the emissions or remove them all?

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
The way I understand it - it will very likely have 2 O2 sensors and possibly 2 cats if it was shipped from the factory as a "california" model. You can't eliminate/bypass factory installed emissions equipment by Federal law, so the exhaust will have SLIGHTLY more backpressure than a "non-california" model. (Note that just because you buy it in CA doesn't mean it's a california model, or the other way around)

Do they have emissions testing down there in the Springs? I'm gonna register my truck at my work address since it's in Weld Co (no emissions testing) instead of Boulder Co (which does require emissions).

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
El Paso county just dropped the emissions requirements in Jan this year.

My trucks have 2 O2 sensors so that's not a problem. I expect there will be some loss of HP with the CA emissions stuff, but not so bad.

I'll probably be making a road trip (flight) to CA sometime later this week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts