TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be installing a Cobra 18WXSTII in my runner and I have a question about using dual antennas. I have a 4ft roof mount Firestik with a quick release but its just not practical for daily driving in town. I also have a window mount with a 2 foot mast that would be more practical. I know the reception is worse but I park in a parking ramp for work so it makes sense.

My question is can I connect both by simply using a splitter like this:

http://www.walcottcb.com/t259-coax-c...ale-p-239.html

Or is my only option just to connect the appropriate antenna to the radio as needed?

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Choops said:
My question is can I connect both by simply using a splitter ......Any help would be appreciated!
Wow, interesting question.

I don’t have a clue, you might ask on a radio/CB site.

My WAG is, go ahead and do it. When you tune the SWR see what you get. If you can get a good SWR then try it out.

Since your only dealing with 4watts under PERFECT conditions, I would think your set-up would weaken the signal.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
NOPE!

The signals running back and forth along the cable to the antenna need to be matched (tuned is another word I've heard)... if you have both antenna's on at the same time, you could tune it but it'd be way inefficient with the non-matching antenna's and non-symmetrical mounts... best to switch the cable between one antenna and the other... hopefully you would be able to tune each antenna to the radio, so that when connected, each antenna would be as efficient as possible. There is such a thing as an antenna switch, something that you might be able to locate at a ham radio supply place...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mr Tacomi said:
NOPE!

The signals running back and forth along the cable to the antenna need to be matched (tuned is another word I've heard)... if you have both antenna's on at the same time, you could tune it but it'd be way inefficient with the non-matching antenna's and non-symmetrical mounts... best to switch the cable between one antenna and the other... hopefully you would be able to tune each antenna to the radio, so that when connected, each antenna would be as efficient as possible. There is such a thing as an antenna switch, something that you might be able to locate at a ham radio supply place...
That makes sense to me. Thanks for the information, much appreciated!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts